iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spintastics tip differences  (Read 117 times)

vegabomb

Spintastics tip differences
« on: September 16, 2018, 03:36:29 AM »

I’ve been looking online at quicksilver fixed tops. The ones in the pic at yoyoplay have a different tip than the ones I see at other stores. Are one or the other an older tip model? Any advantage to the one at yoyoplay? Thanks in advance. :)

Softspin

• Gold Member
Re: Spintastics tip differences
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 08:30:20 AM »

I would go to science of spin site and get contact info for dale Oliver ..if you want PM me and I can get it for you ..  There are three main fixed tips . Two I call Diablo a brass and steel one that again I call Mexican Diablo I love that one really grips the string. Get a few of each pretty inexspensive. And go to town.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 08:33:18 AM by Softspin »

Kirk

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 10:14:03 AM »

Check with YoYoplay to be sure that the tip in the picture is the one on the tops in stock. 

In my opinion the brass tip in the photo has a point that is to shallow (blunt).  In my hand it will not spin long and It is difficult to do arm walker. (some others do not have the same issue.  it seems to be related to the shape of my hand). The neck shape is good for regeneration and wire walker tricks.

The "Mexican tip" or "C" tip (left in the photo) is my favorite but is a touch harder to do wire walker with. 

The old standard tip (on the right) is OK. I make a slight modification with a file to smooth out the sharp edge.  It wire walks well.

You can also contact https://www.scienceofspin.com/ and buy direct.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 11:36:12 AM »

I personally don't like the original tip from Spintastics on the right of the photo (neck too thick, no chin) but Val would disagree with me.
That's why I started to make my own tips (and I also wanted to experiment with the effect of very thin necks on regeneration). Salvador and I came up with the diabolo tip design on the left independently, which is more radical than the traditional Mexican tip (which is a much better wire walker). I currently make them with a larger head. When Salvador found himself with a couple of thousand extra diabolo tips (he said that the machinist swapped his large order of conventional Mexican tips with one for a few diabolo tips) I arranged for Spintastics to buy them from him. The tip on the left is one of them.
As Kirk said, I find the head of the bronze tip too shallow, but it's a great tip on the string.

vegabomb

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 07:26:46 PM »

Thanks everyone. I just ordered some direct!

cecil

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 08:03:34 PM »

The fatter the neck and the thick string gives you more speed. This great for the escalator but to fast for the double body cork screw. So you have to make your own tip and string to get what you prefer.

Jospin

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 05:04:10 PM »

I ordered tops from yoyoplay and the tips are as pictured.