iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Just saying hi  (Read 204 times)

Rafael

Just saying hi
« on: September 15, 2018, 12:12:06 AM »

Hi guys, I am new to the group and wanted to share a little about me. My name is Rafael and I went to school for animation and design here in the US. I love tops and thought it would be cool to bring Tops into the digital era. This is the oldest game and felt it should be taken to the next level. So I developed a mobile app game focused on Tops. It's in a mini game and hope to expand on it, it would mean a lot to me if I could get everyone's feedback. Wanted to give people the chance to give me your thoughts before I provide everyone with the link, the game is free by the way. Once again thank you for adding me to the group.

vegabomb

Re: Just saying hi
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 02:50:28 AM »

Hey there. It’s kinda hard to give feedback without playing the game. :)

Hades

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2018, 03:07:18 AM »

Hey that sounds great. My daughter loves animation. She is making small animations all the time. It truly is her passion. One of my other hobbies is collecting video games, and I would love to see your game in action.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2018, 06:06:02 AM »

Welcome, Rafael.  If you spin tops, you are in the right place.  If you want to share something top related, you are in the right place.  If you want some comments about anything (but especially something spin top related) you are in the right place.

It is great to have you with us!  So glad you have found the right place for you!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!

butterfingers

• Gold Member
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2018, 06:41:55 AM »

Sounds interesting. Welcome to the forum!

mailman

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2018, 08:47:16 AM »

Welcome, Raphael!  I'd be interested to see how a spin top translates into a virtual medium....

Jeremy McCreary

• Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2018, 01:40:36 PM »

Welcome aboard! App sounds interesting. When in public, can you turn off the cussing after dropped tops and boomerang incidents?
Playing with the physical world through LEGO

Hades

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 03:44:25 PM »

Welcome aboard! App sounds interesting. When in public, can you turn off the cussing after dropped tops and boomerang incidents?
haha Jeremy I know the feeling. My worst is having to chase the top across the floor. You bend down to grab it, and it starts running from you. I have invented a few choice words for that one.

Rafael

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 08:20:16 PM »

One of the things that kept me going was that I was told it was impossible due to rotation force and velocity. Right now it is only available on  Android it is call Top Wars. Let me know what you guys think so if you go to google play or amazon app store you can download it. I haven't uploaded it to the Apple app store because they want you to use xcode and so happens to be only available using a Mac so still working on it.

This is the amazon link- https://www.amazon.com/Silly-Animators-Top-Wars/dp/B07GNWJFL6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1537057068&sr=8-2&keywords=Topwars

Google Play link-  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sillyanimators.topwars

Thanks again guys

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2018, 11:42:13 AM »

Unfortunately, the game seems to play very slow on my 3-year old phone. I need a new phone (and not just because of the game) . . .

Jeremy McCreary

• Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2018, 05:25:10 PM »

Some first impressions of Android app...
1. Good job capturing the fact that a traveling top coming against a railing softly enough will often just roll along the rail thereafter. But the top should recoil from the rail in harder collisions.
2. Your tops are always sleeping (spinning quietly with a vertical axis) -- even after top-top and top-rail collisions.
2a. Real sleeping tops generally don't travel as much as yours do.
2b. A real sleeping top would tilt on impact and then precess accordingly under gyroscopic rules. It might or might not resume sleeping when these transient responses fade away.
3. When the game's top has the user's top against the rail in Normal mode, the latter barely responds to the controller -- even when the user's top could easily have moved in the desired direction.
4. When the user's top runs out of time, could you show it falling?

jim in paris

• Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2018, 02:56:48 AM »

hello
i have tried the game a bit on google

i works

like jeremy the main remark one could make as a top player is summed up in this sentence:

A real sleeping top would tilt on impact and then precess accordingly under gyroscopic rules. It might or might not resume sleeping when these transient responses fade away.

thanx and looking forward to an improved version ;)

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 07:17:24 AM »

I got it to work on my pc at the house and also my cell phone.  So, the goal is to get as many gold coins as possible?  And there are two other tops competing against you?  It seems like an interesting idea and I applaud your effort. 

The shape of the top looks more like a whip top to me, which is fine.  The movement of the main top (blue) seems a little stilted or stiff.  The black top that chases it tilts slightly one way or the other as it follows the blue top, which seems more realistic.  It also looks like the white top tilts some as it moves.   When the black and blue top come together they do not react at all, they just keep spinning against each other.

Those are a few comments from me.  Jeremy's thoughts were more thorough and I like what he had to say.