iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: What are the best widely available plastic Mexican trompos?  (Read 4478 times)

Christop

What are the best widely available plastic Mexican trompos?
« on: September 05, 2018, 02:40:25 AM »

I'm looking to get more into fixed tip play but I'm on a budget and have been checking out 3-packs of Cometa and Cinco Estrellas tops on Amazon. I'd get a nicer top like a Spintastics Grande but I just know I'm probably going to be pretty rough on any top I start regularly using and would rather have backups for roughly the same price.

I've seen quite a few from Cometa plus the Pirate, Pro, and Diamante from Cinco Estrellas. I've looked at the Mexican tops section on this site and it just made me want them all, lol.

I'm leaning towards Jumbo Cobras based purely on weight and size, but what are the most solid all-around plastic trompos out of Mexico these days?

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Re: What are the best widely available plastic Mexican trompos?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 08:46:29 AM »

I have no experience, at all, with the Mexican tops.  I'm sorry I can't help you there.

For playability and durability you can't go wrong with a Spintastics Quicksilver Hybrid.  The aluminum body makes them practically indestructible.  Replacement tips are inexpensive and readily available.  The anodized finish will eventually scratch and scar, but that's just a sign of a top well loved.  ;)

Welcome to the forum, BTW....

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 09:09:05 AM »

Hello Christop!!!  Glad you are here.  I am even more glad you have an interest in spinning tops.  Where do you live?  Anywhere near Ohio?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 09:18:55 AM »

Spintastics Trompo Grande for a budget regen top.
My recomended top progression is short circuit, trompo grande then quicksilver.
I skip to trompo for you since you want to regen.
 If you do get a Mexican top instead, use a thin string. 3 twisted pairs of #10 is what I like.
Good luck!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 09:28:58 AM »

Spintastics Trompo Grande for a budget regen top.
My recomended top progression is short circuit, trompo grande then quicksilver.
I skip to trompo for you since you want to regen.
 If you do get a Mexican top instead, use a thin string. 3 twisted pairs of #10 is what I like.
Good luck!

Yep. I concur that a thin string is needed to my hands too... heavy string will just kill the top... and not regen :)
I also don't think it would have been possible to learn regen on my cometa cobra jumbo... it's a fun challenge but it's
HARD

Cheers,
paxl13
Spinning is life!!!!

Turegano

• ITSA Jr.
  • Turegano
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 11:06:28 AM »

el mas solido que existe en mexico se llama ture trompo  mi marca  es  muy parecido a strumol 8  el mismo material  perfectamente balanceado  y súper resistente solo cambia el diseño interior es mas rápido   y no tan pesado solo 56 gr  no tan pesado solo 56 gr el precio es lo mejor cuesta  45 usd mas envio

the most solid that exists in Mexico is called ture trompo my brand is very similar to strumol 8 the same material perfectly balanced and super resistant only changes the interior design is faster and not so heavy only 56 gr
the price is the best it costs 45 usd more shipping
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 11:08:36 AM by Turegano »

TROMPO MEXICO

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 11:08:03 AM »

A while back I was given a Cobra top by forum member jrodriguez. It's a very nice small top. He praised it saying it was well suited to gravity tricks due to its configuration and light weight. I also have a Pegasus and Galaxia top. They are light weight and their design seems to copy / follow the Duncan Imperial with the crown that clips into the body of the top. You won't find many folks praising the Duncan Imperial.

You mention in your post that you will need a durable top. The Spintastics tops are very durable and the tips are replaceable. I have only had one Trompo Grande break - and that was due to a two story fall onto a concrete floor. That was a sad day. You may find some recommendations from forum members for Mexican tops but I don't see anyone using them regularly. There is, however, lots of love for the QSH (I include myself in this). It will get battered and worn but if you keep a few replacement tips on hand you'll be able to use it for years.

Two pics attached. The first is for size comparison: Imperial, Galaxia, Pegusis, Trompo Grande, QSH. The second is a photo of my blue QSH showing it's age after 4+ years of use. I have several QSH tops and I feel like the kid in Willy Wonka who wants more than one Everlasting Gobstopper. They are so durable that you really only need to buy one.

Good luck with your decision.

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 11:10:05 AM »

el mas solido que existe en mexico se llama ture trompo  mi marca  es  muy parecido a strumol 8  el mismo material  perfectamente balanceado  y súper resistente solo cambia el diseño interior es mas rápido   y no tan pesado solo 56 gr  no tan pesado solo 56 gr el precio es lo mejor cuesta  45 usd mas envio

the most solid that exists in Mexico is called ture trompo my brand is very similar to strumol 8 the same material perfectly balanced and super resistant only changes the interior design is faster and not so heavy only 56 gr
the price is the best it costs 45 usd more shipping

That's a beautiful top!

Turegano

• ITSA Jr.
  • Turegano
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 11:13:27 AM »

thanks  butter fingers  8)

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 12:26:32 PM »

Dylan Kowalski has a channel on You Tube where he has reviewed and played with a lot of tops listed above, including the 3 pack from Amazon. He's into a lot of things, just keep looking through his videos for top (and yo-yo) reviews.

Christop

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »

Thank you for all the replies! This thread has convinced me to get a trompo grande since it is nice and sturdy and that size looks very comfy.  I have not found any replacement tips in my searches but I will just have to be careful, lol.

I started with imperials and those were just too lightweight but I am getting the hang of my short circuit so on to bigger and better tops. Also I do not have the funds for a QS but that is definitely on my wishlist.

Christop

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 01:02:09 PM »

Oh and I am located in Portland, Oregon if there are any folks around here that would like to meet up.

Hades

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 01:42:32 PM »

I bought a few Trompo  Grandes, and they have taken everything I have thrown at them. I also bought 3 quicksilver hybrids. I picked up the blue silver splash and the red silver splash. When I got them in the mail the collector in me would not let me throw them ( I'm not very good yet ) so I ordered a raw silver one with clear cap. It's an amazing top it spins for ever. That's about all the info I can give you on the  Mexican style tops. I just remembered I did pick up a Trompo space SL and a graffiti roller but there both bearing style, and as far as I can tell you can't take out the bearings to do any kind of maintenance on them. It's a shame to because I really liked the adjustable weight system that comes with the Trompo space SL.

Christop

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 02:00:16 PM »

Welp, decided to use tops to fix my worst habit so I'm gonna give up smoking to save up for a QS and I went ahead and bought a Trompo Grande, lol.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 02:57:23 PM »

Sorry to hear you are so far away in Portland, Oregon but I am glad to hear we have another top spinner going at it out there.  Good luck with everything you do.  Hope all goes well with kicking the smoking habit by kicking a top around!!!