iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Orbits & Snapstart  (Read 693 times)

paxl13

• Gold Member
Orbits & Snapstart
« on: April 16, 2018, 02:46:09 PM »

Hey y'alls,

I think it's time for me to learn orbits & snapstarts... Do you guys have any tips at all. Orbits still eludes me. I can blizard without problem ( from a RC to string or from hand ) but I can't seem to understand the motion when the top is 'flying' in front of me... ( so second part )

As for snapstarting. I am able to restart spining a top that's almost no spinning anymore using RC to string or SW. any tips on getting started ? I'm kind of at loss =)

Thanks for the help
paxl

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Orbits & Snapstart
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 05:05:08 PM »

its hard to describe but with snap starts, try to start the motion from your body, like when youre punching, alot like an upercut. it gives a wee bit more energy to the Top  ;)

orbits are just something you'll have to experiment on  :(

paxl13

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 06:58:57 PM »

its hard to describe but with snap starts, try to start the motion from your body, like when youre punching, alot like an upercut. it gives a wee bit more energy to the Top  ;)

orbits are just something you'll have to experiment on  :(

I'll try some more, should I aim to get the top straight to a lasso or in my hand? I'm probably not helping myself working it out on the hornet tho.

As for orbit, I hit a couple tonight but they are hard and I usually end up with the top on my face!!!

Thanks

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 10:42:31 PM »

I try to discourage people from learning orbits until they learn many other regens, as that regen is weak and makes the trick difficult.
But if you insist, no better advice that what Herman posted here: link

How do you do the snap? With the top vertical or horizontal?
With the top vertical, after you catch the top you have to resist the urge to pull until the top precesses and leans to your left (and the string wraps the tip).
I think the snap with the top horizontal (you catch like drumbeat) is easier to learn.

Good luck!

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 11:48:19 PM »

I think the snap with the top horizontal (you catch like drumbeat) is easier to learn.
^^^THIS^^^

Mermouy

• Gold Member
  • New spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2018, 11:57:01 PM »

How do you do the snap? With the top vertical or horizontal?
With the top vertical, after you catch the top you have to resist the urge to pull until the top precesses and leans to your left (and the string wraps the tip).

Personaly I'm still not at 100% but I learned 3 different snapstarts in this order:
  • Vertical 2 handed snapstart was the very first I tested, it is now my "don't miss" snapstart
  • The same but one hand, "in the Gustavo way", this one put me the more in trouble depending on the used top, but it's definitly the most elegant of them in my opinion... (my problems with that one may come from my injured right thumb...?)
  • From foot, learned last but I think now is the easiest to masterize... Super easy to learn if you have a big top (like 3" or 4")

About Orbits, I'm at the same step as you seem to be, cannot help sorry...

paxl13

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 09:18:16 AM »

^^^THIS^^^

Both neff & ta0 will evicerate me... :P I hate drumbeats... I still can't do them... yeah and I'm trying to do orbits ( which indeed seem to not regen much... ) :P Thanks for that post it does look very informative, I'll read it out later, I was able this mornign to figure out how to do 1 - 2 from a rollercoaster to string catch.

@Mermouy. I'll try 2 hand snap... I never tried this...
So far, I never have enough power to either get it to spin on my hand / or lasso catch ( the top doesn't have enough rotational speed so it doesn't catch at all )...

But yeah, I need to learn drumbeats... and get more constant with my trapeze... ( I'm not that bad but practicing inside, I hate that my floor take a beating ).

Thanks for all the good tips guys!

paxl13

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 10:20:19 AM »

So after reading the post Ta0 linked, I'll definitvely drop the orbit for now and practice other stuff ( like drumbeats :P )

paxl13

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 10:51:38 AM »

As per usual, I never stop when I say I will... So I"m able to do something akins to orbits for 3 reps before having to pop it up into RC to string to put back speed into the top..

Top that resist leaning a lot ( like the shortcircuit ) seem to be easider but I suspect whta I"m doing is only blizard but with the 2 hand separated...

Anyway to be seen..
Snap start does still eludes.. what would be the best top to snap start... smaller the better so the shortcircuit it better than a grande or a qsh ?

Diz

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 01:11:11 PM »

Top that resist leaning a lot ( like the shortcircuit ) seem to be easider

I think you are right about this. I learned Orbits with a Short Circuit but can't seem to get it with a Ripcord top.

Mermouy

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2018, 11:26:59 AM »

Top that resist leaning a lot ( like the shortcircuit ) seem to be easider but I suspect whta I"m doing is only blizard but with the 2 hand separated...

Anyway to be seen..
Snap start does still eludes.. what would be the best top to snap start... smaller the better so the shortcircuit it better than a grande or a qsh ?

Funny because, for me, short circuit is a weak top, they always broke the same way: the plastic near where the tip fits...
EDIT: oops I read resist only not the leaning part...

I found that bigger is better for 2hands start and with foot, and the smaller is best for fingers start...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:18:51 PM by Mermouy »

paxl13

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2018, 07:15:40 PM »

Well, I'm able to chain a orbit like motion 3x from the throw. And 1 or 2 from a roller-coaster...

I call that progress!

Mermouy

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 07:34:19 PM »

Well, I'm able to chain a orbit like motion 3x from the throw. And 1 or 2 from a roller-coaster...

I call that progress!

Yes indeed! It is progress!

It's strange btw, each "small" progress is a big step when learning new tricks/things but, once masterized, it's always hard (at least for me), to explain these steps...
I mean this is the hardest part of teaching: to remember where you've been stuck and how you got out of it at this time...
Who deal with/remember these is a good instructor.
It makes me remember when we met koneknys for the first time in Loon-Plage we were astonished how they deal with us asking for some tips/tricks (which is already not so easy seeing the "skills" difference), as well as how they dealt with children learning just the basic throw/spinner (and moreover with french children who don't speak a word of english...)

These guys are "multi-function" spinners!

paxl13

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2018, 10:54:51 AM »

Indeed.

The orbit skill is a kind of hard to describe anyway... Where i think it clicked is when I realised that I need to move my hands to follow the top precession... sounds silly. Also hearing the string zip around my capless grande helped too... I really can do 1 off a rollercoaster catch with all my tops now ( grande , hornet or qsh )... 2... some times... but yeha I do not add a lot of spin while doing the mvmt... But I do think that orbits never add a lot of spin anyway...

The other beast I want to try at some point will be suns... which are similar from my understanding but I'll need to hunt for more video...

Mermouy

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 09:04:25 AM »

The other beast I want to try at some point will be suns... which are similar from my understanding but I'll need to hunt for more video...

Hunt is open!
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up