iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Recommends for a ten year old starter  (Read 5034 times)

Rich

Recommends for a ten year old starter
« on: March 25, 2018, 08:10:14 AM »

I'm looking around online at some of the commercial grade tops thinking of my grandson. I'd like to introduce him to spinning. It'd be easy enough to go old school woods, but for a young boy whose heavily invested in the Lego culture, I really think that I've got to get into more modern materials. Thanks to this forum I'm seeing so much that's new to my eyes. Incredible!! I've already sent a table top spinner to him to acclimate him to the concept, but I want to see if he'll take to the string tops. I also have purchased some small, colorful wood table top spinners from India for my little granddaughters.

Would some of the forum members please post some ideas about retailers and tops that I can look at?

Just an FYI to all: here in central New Jersey I can honestly say that in my adult life I have never, ever seen kids spinning tops anywhere on the street, schoolyards or playgrounds. I might note that I taught high school for ten years and never caught sight of a top. Yet online, I see many products at Amazon. I found a company as well--YOYO PLAY.COM--that seems to promote the culture with some nice stuff. Any commentary on their line of spin tops?

Thanks for listening and for any comments on any of my questions. I'll be glad to see them.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: Recommends for a ten year old starter
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 01:09:14 PM »

hello Rich

you could start with a very good all-around top , durable and easy to play
the SPINTASTICS Gladiator
it has got a metal tip, and a protection ring around
here is a link to a web site  we know is serious

https://www.yoyosam.com/collections/spin-tops/products/spintastics-gladiator-spin-top

have fun playing and don't forget to buy one for YOU ;) ;)

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2018, 03:25:28 PM »

YoYo Factory Short Circuit.
Cheap, easy to get and durable. I use this top for all the kids I teach and then move to the Spintastics Trompo Grande as a second top.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 10:12:11 PM by jmadrigal »

Rich

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 08:34:05 AM »

Thank you for your reflections and recommends guys. I had located the Gladiator online and much liked the looks of it. After your recommend Jim I place an order at YOYO PLAY.com. I'll see how they work out--look to be a pretty serious company with an enormous selection of stuff for boys my grandson's age (and of course for us older boys too).

Thank you also madrigal for your recommend. I'll be going there shortly as well.

I did--ordered the short circuit.

Much thanks!!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 09:00:55 AM by Rich »

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 09:13:53 AM »

Yep, Shortcircuit and then Grande...
Spinning is life!!!!

Rich

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 10:57:11 AM »

Thank you paxl -- done!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 04:30:47 PM »

I'm looking around online at some of the commercial grade tops thinking of my grandson. I'd like to introduce him to spinning. It'd be easy enough to go old school woods, but for a young boy whose heavily invested in the Lego culture... I've already sent a table top spinner to him to acclimate him to the concept, but I want to see if he'll take to the string tops. I also have purchased some small, colorful wood table top spinners from India for my little granddaughters.

Welcome, Rich! If your grandson's really into LEGO building, and you think that an interest in finger tops might well lead to the hoped-for interest in string tops, you might steer your grand kids toward making their own LEGO finger tops.

If they have any LEGO to speak of at home, I guarantee that they'll be able to make some fun tops. To date, I've made well over 800 LEGO tops covering a vast range of designs. The flops get scrapped for parts, of course, but I still have most of these in my collection.

A small sampling of what's possible...

My blog page with tips on where to buy needed parts (as opposed to sets) and how to get started with perhaps the most versatile class of LEGO finger tops here.

A practical LEGO string top poses some really tough engineering challenges, but with ta0's expert help, I finally got one to work, as he demonstrates here....

Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Rich

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 12:49:08 PM »

Incredible Jeremy,

Thanks very much.

I'll make sure that he sees these.

Much appreciated.

Saw this at Amazon for a start and sent it to him:

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Ninjago-Lloyd-Spinjitzu-Master/dp/B075R8ZR2L/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4T1YA57B11370648V2A3

Looked at your videos and tapped your blog -- so much more to do with the Legos than just build.

I may have missed it, but can you point out any of the more complicated Ninjago spin sets?

As far as the build board tops, do you cut the boards to size or do they come in a variety of sizes?

BTW--is that Sonny Rollins I hear in the background?

« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 01:24:10 PM by Rich »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 03:10:23 PM »

Thanks very much.

My pleasure, Rich! In fact, couldn't resist.

Saw this at Amazon for a start and sent it to him:
https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Ninjago-Lloyd-Spinjitzu-Master/dp/B075R8ZR2L/ref=pd_ybh_a_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4T1YA57B11370648V2A3

Hmmm, that's a pretty cool one -- and with some very handy-looking top parts I've never seen before. Thanks for pointing it out!

I may have missed it, but can you point out any of the more complicated Ninjago spin sets?

Wish I could help there, but since I buy all my parts individually from BrickLink, I don't pay much attention to sets.

I will say that LEGO prices on Amazon and eBay can get pretty gougy -- especially after shipping. Big-box store prices are more regulated, but I always check https://shop.lego.com/ before buying anywhere else. You're likely to find sets there that no one else carries, and it's always the best place to buy motors, battery boxes, and other electrical components.

Looked at your videos and tapped your blog -- so much more to do with the Legos than just build.

Yes, the possibilities seem almost limitless. Just add imagination, perseverence, lots of trial and error, and of course money. And always think outside the LEGO box: It's worthwhile to see how a given part is used in this or that official set, but count on that part having many other uses that the LEGO folks may never have foreseen.

As far as the build board tops, do you cut the boards to size or do they come in a variety of sizes?

No cutting necessary. The stud-covered boards (which LEGO folks call "plates") come in many different sizes and shapes. This is just the beginning: https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&catString=26, https://www.bricklink.com/catalogList.asp?catType=P&catString=28

Safety warning: Most LEGO tops hold together remarkably well at speed, but always test new designs carefully -- and never at eye-level.

BTW--is that Sonny Rollins I hear in the background?

Good call! Sonny Rollins Quartet with "Paul's Pal" behind the battle top video. Wish YouTube music offerings had more of those guys.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 03:15:06 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

Rich

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2018, 10:28:34 AM »

Good morning Jeremy,

Thanks for all of the links. I'll share them with my grandson and bookmark them for future reference.
Here's a cool link where you may find the odd piece or two for your spinners:

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkMTMz92R2gIVS1mGCh39oAguEAAYASAAEgJBK_D_BwE

I've built up my Grandson's Lego stash by winning the occasional bid here. It's tricky and you've gotta watch the shipping charges, but you wind up with some cool pieces (you can challenge). Check it out--requires some stealth and guile.

Here's the current Lego auctions:

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Listings?st=legos&sg=&c=&s=&lp=0&hp=999999&sbn=false&spo=false&snpo=false&socs=false&sd=false&sca=false&caed=3/29/2018&cadb=7&scs=false&sis=false&col=0&p=1&ps=40&desc=false&ss=0&UseBuyerPrefs=true

Be careful. It's kinda like poker.

Rich.

Also, with TOYRUS going out of business there may be some great discounting.

My kids bought me a Prime membership with Amazon and it's really helping to keep shipping costs down on some of the pieces I've recently gotten for my grandson.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 10:42:21 AM by Rich »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2018, 12:08:58 AM »

Since I build mostly tops and working gizmos made with Technic parts, BrickLink's by far the most time- and cost-efficient way for me to accumulate parts. But my LEGO friends have made some big hauls at Goodwill, at garage and estate sales, and on Craig's List. Unfortunately, I can't use most of the stuff they come home with.

Rich

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2018, 09:04:59 AM »

I went to the BrickLink site--incredible resource!! I'll be sure to pass it on.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2018, 11:48:37 AM »

I went to the BrickLink site--incredible resource!! I'll be sure to pass it on.

In well over 500 purchases now, I've run into only 1 dishonest seller. Be sure to shop around, as the prices for a given part can vary quite a bit from seller to seller.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2018, 04:38:41 PM »

Chiming in late. I've been away from a real computer for like 2 weeks and the little tablets I was using are great but the tiny keyboards... man, just a nuisance.

Anyhow, I recommend both the Short Circuit and Electric. Get both for under $20 and go fixed and bearing tip.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Rich

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 10:39:03 AM »

Thanks Chris.

I ordered the short circuit and will get him the electric as well.

Much appreciate your insight.