iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Are you coming to Miamisburg (Whirl Festival and Nats 2018)?

YES
- 17 (65.4%)
NO
- 9 (34.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Miamisburg 2018 Stage for competition  (Read 48562 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Stage for competition
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 01:08:13 PM »

Had a good conversation with the city people today.  They are behind us and almost want to help too much.  The mayor has the idea that a band would be great for our event.  I am trying to point out things like -going after us is late -there will be too much extra activity with a band setting up and us enjoying all our time -no, we do not want to move our event earlier -we are not people who need entertainment.  We make our own entertainment.  We just need space!!!

My idea is still 5-8 at the park and be at the church earlier during the day.  3pm for national championships would be great and I am leaning toward having it at St. Jacob with all our equipment handy and people already there.  Moving once to the park seems like enough moving to me.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:06:04 AM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
Re: Miamisburg 2018?
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 01:20:14 PM »

I thought we had been talking about this but I guess we were just talking about the stage.  Thanks for asking mailman!  The city has pr people working on getting information out so I presented the following to them.  Tell me what a I missed or how I can change it.  They are still willing to accept more information...

THE WHIRLED COMES TO MIAMISBURG

It will be Christmas in August this year as the 25th of that month will be a unique and special gathering of top spinners from around the nation.  People will be here from Alabama, Texas, Georgia, New York and our neighboring states to toss one of a kind creations and do amazing tricks.  Can you believe there will be several world champions here?  Can you believe there will be world record holders here?  Can you believe people present will have been on the world top spinning stage dozens of times?  Whirled experience will be everywhere on that day.  Join us for the national championships at 3pm in the St. Jacob Lutheran Church fellowship hall.  Join us at 5pm on the Riverfront Park stage as youth battle spin tops with the winner collecting 100 $2.00 bills (remember - a two dollar bill is 200 pennies and this is the 200th anniversary of Miamisburg).

You can read more about this event and other spinning activities at Miamisburg.org/tops or at itopspin.com

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2018, 02:33:06 PM »

So I am not clear on the venue. This is an indoor stage at 3pm then hanging out at the park after?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 02:35:30 PM by jmadrigal »

SpinLynn

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Miamisburg 2018 Stage for competition
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 11:35:32 AM »

Thanks, Mike, for arranging this. I know it takes a lot of time and you have to *juggle everyone's needs. I have it on my calendar!

Lynn

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 10:38:40 PM »

Hello Lynn.  Thanks for your comments.  Glad you will make it.  Yes, it has been hectic around here with Lent, extra services and Easter preparations.  I finally got the April newsletter out and then taxes.  Seems like it is time to relax a bit and throw some tops!!!

Sorry for not getting to your post sooner, jmadrigal.  Dale Oliver says he prefers indoor and A/C for the competition.  We can do that at the church and then go outside for the evening battles in the park where we can highlight the new US champ and the other placers.  Does that sound OK?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 10:40:50 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2018, 11:11:50 PM »

Thanks Mike, sounds good. I just wanted to know if I was thinking about it correctly.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2018, 11:52:54 PM »

Humidity would be horrible to have to perform in.
^^^THIS^^^

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2018, 11:54:50 PM »

Wow, the city of Miamisburg is working hard to fix up the park area where we have met for youth battles and informal adult spinning over the past few years.  They have been laying cement like crazy to finish sidewalks around the whole park.  They have also increased some parking and now are adding cool looking brick walkways across the new road between the backs of the buildings and the stage.  This road looked more like an alley the past few years.  Soon they will be finishing the landscaping and grass planting around the whole park area.  The place should look great by this summer.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 10:27:32 AM »

Do we have info for recommended places to stay for poor hobo top spinners? :)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 10:49:57 AM »

Most of the hobo spinners, we stay under the bridge over the Miami river at Linden Ave. Good spinning areas around and walking distance to Bullwinkles' Top Hat Bistro :P

I'm arriving Friday and leaving Monday.  :)

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2018, 11:18:26 AM »

Hola mike podrĂ­as contactar a Jorge respecto el aniversario saludos
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 11:44:59 AM by ta0 »

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 12:53:57 PM »

Do I understand this to mean you're looking for a hotel?  David and I have always stayed at the Red Roof Inn.  Clean, quiet, inexpensive....that's all you need, right?

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 09:29:02 PM »

Under the bridge is tough to beat but I will look into the Red Roof Inn. Is it walking distance from the event?

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 12:52:49 PM »

Under the bridge is tough to beat but I will look into the Red Roof Inn. Is it walking distance from the event?

No, but it's a short drive.  If wheels are an issue, you could ride to and from with us, if you'd like....

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2018, 01:16:14 PM »

Rachel and I have made it a tradition to stay at the only Bed and Breakfast in Miamisburg.
http://www.englishmanorohio.com/
A lovely place that is easy walking distance to all things top, but more expensive than the bridge.  It would be cool to fill the place with top spinners.