iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: My Collection  (Read 2506 times)

muzeum

My Collection
« on: August 30, 2017, 08:10:44 AM »

Hello everyone,

I would like to share with you my collection of spinning tops. I am working in The Asia and Pacific Museum in Poland. I specialize in traditional games and plays. The spinning tops are part of a my collection of skill games. I am waiting now for package from India. I would like to get some spinning tops from China, Mongolia, Burma.

All the Best Tomasz

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: My Collection
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »

I see on your collection some tops that are from Mexico: do they fall under the Pacific part of Asia and Pacific?
In that case you should get tops from Chile and specially Ecuador.

For sure you should get the giant Gasing from Kalantan province in Malaysia and the large ones from Lombok island in Indonesia (but just Indonesian and Malaysian tops would make a very large collection by themselves).

muzeum

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 03:52:44 AM »

I am collecting tops from all over the world :) Yes, there are some tops form Mexico. In museum there is a big gasing from Bali.

I would love the get one gasing form Malaysia, also. Is there any gasing organization there? I would love to visit them or to contact first.

Any way Ive made very rich documentation of Indoenzian gasings. Around 100 houndred photos and names.

At the beginning of march 2018 I plan to open an exhibition devoted to traditional games and plays of Asia. The general purpose is to show the subject matter and to popularize the history of the Asian games among the Polish audience, to present the role they play and the cultural content they carry.

Maybe, You would like participate in the project?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 10:06:50 AM »

If you are collecting from all over the world, you have a long way to go   ;)

I will be traveling to Colombia in October and I can get you a nice example of the large ones they use for tricks. You should get a Zaranda (a gourd top) and Trompo from Venezuela as they have a beautiful tradition. ITSA may have the contact for that  :)  Larry, JNeff and Ludo on this forum have good contacts with providers of traditional tops in Asia.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 11:08:54 AM »

I would love the get one gasing form Malaysia, also.

It looks to me that you do have a top (gasing) from Malaysia already.  The Yellow top in your photographs is a Polygasing from Malaysia.  That top was created by a project started by the United Nations at the University of Universiti Putra, Malaysia.

http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,4735.msg49803.html#msg49803

muzeum

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 11:36:04 AM »

wow ta0 and Larry D. thx !!!

Larry D. true. I got this from Malaysian team member. He showed my some move. Its hard :)

The one i was thinking just came :) small one.

Tao I would love to get one from Colombia :) Please :)

I got one from South america but I have to check the note where it is from.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 02:24:25 PM »

Good luck with your project, muzeum!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!