iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Linked Events

• 2017 US National Spintop Contest: October 06, 2017 - October 08, 2017

Author Topic: 2017 National YoYo Contest is in Chico  (Read 24212 times)

dazzlingdave

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
    • dazzlingdave.com
Re: 2017 National YoYo Contest is in Chico
« Reply #90 on: October 07, 2017, 05:50:36 PM »

Oh, oh....they moved the schedule up to 4:00 for finals!
Battle top will hopefully happen after if Jose doesn’t have to leave with the dart board.

If you are in Chico, be sure to hang out in the lobby after to figure out the new plan.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #91 on: October 07, 2017, 10:22:53 PM »

Thanks Jim. Hope we can meet someday.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2017, 07:38:22 AM »

Everybody must still be sleeping in California. I hope they had time to battle.
Anybody can confirm the freestyle results?

Jim said he wished he could teleport. I wish also for some quantum entanglement so I could have been there and here at the same time.

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2017, 01:59:23 PM »

Thoughts....
I had a long and wonderful day at the contest. I was lucky to take the top spot with Chris conning in second and Tom third. Everyone did great. Tom's behind the back half pipe was awesome. Chris definitely takes it on stage preference.
I met an incredible top spinner named Boe. He was an incredibly nice guy and one to watch for in the future for tops.
We battled tops after the competition. John B took the battle and I came in second. I hope top post some video soon.
My son made a good friend in a cute little yoyo girl named Haddie. It was great having him with me.
I honestly don't remember but a few tricks I did on stage. I need to watch the video.
That's all for now.

Jose

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #94 on: October 08, 2017, 07:16:46 PM »

One more thing. I constantly received comments about how people didn't know that was possible with a top.  :o
That needs to change.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #95 on: October 08, 2017, 07:42:00 PM »

Congratulatons to everybody and specially to the brand new US National Champion!
 :) 8)

I hope the trophy top arrived in time. NSTC needs some TLC  ::)

After what you did in Iceland there was little doubt you would be the next US champ.
Chris appeared from nowhere in Reykjavik and I'm very happy that he joined the community and he already has a second place.
I'm sure that Tom in one year will be competitive at this level, specially having the opportunity to play wit Jose.

Thanks a lot to Dave for organizing and jugdging.

If we have nats in Miamisburg next year I expect some young player(s) to challenge for the title.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 07:45:09 PM by ta0 »

tkunkel

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #96 on: October 09, 2017, 01:15:04 AM »

The competition was fun. Here is a link.

The spin tops start at 3:08:00.

I was happy with my performance, especially for my first time on stage.  Jose was great as always and Chris also had a great performance.
I hit the behind the back halfpipe for the first trick, which i have been practicing a lot lately, and was pretty excited about that. This trick may have been done before, but I have not seen it yet. Either way, the competition was a good time.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 01:17:22 AM by tkunkel »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #97 on: October 09, 2017, 02:56:36 AM »

thanks for the reports and the link ;)

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #98 on: October 09, 2017, 08:31:34 AM »

Congratulations to you, Jose, and to the other competitors, as well!

TheSpinForce

« Reply #99 on: October 09, 2017, 02:12:43 PM »

The competition was so much fun, glad I was able to make it and surprised I got second place. I'm a bit bummed I had to leave directly after to make my night gig at a theme park back in San Jose. I didn't get to see winner announcements or hang out with everyone and throw battle tops. Definitely will try and stay next time for that!

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2017, 02:36:34 PM »

Thanks for sharing the link. I grew up when Duncan used to come to the schools and put on a contest. I LOVE YO - YO'S. And now I'm having so much FUN playing and making spin tops. LIFE IS GOOD. And BIG TOP are BETTER.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2017, 05:00:18 PM »

The competition was so much fun, glad I was able to make it and surprised I got second place. I'm a bit bummed I had to leave directly after to make my night gig at a theme park back in San Jose. I didn't get to see winner announcements or hang out with everyone and throw battle tops. Definitely will try and stay next time for that!

If spin tops stays tied to yoyos at Nationals next year, you won't have that problem. I don't know the specifics but Nationals is moving to earlier in the year so as to correspond with Worlds. This year, US Nationals does not seed to Worlds, but 2018 will. I don't know how this applies to spintops though.
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2017, 09:40:16 PM »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #103 on: October 10, 2017, 08:15:27 AM »

I just saw the freestyles (I'm at the Mexico airport with a long layover). Great job guys!
Jose had plenty of difficult tricks and very few misses (and even then he snap started to the one hand trapeze!)
I don't remember seeing the half pipe trick before: great trick Tom and perfect name!  8)
I had to smile when Chris ended his freestyle with a spinner  ;D

I love seeing NSTC spinning and in such good hands!

dazzlingdave

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
    • dazzlingdave.com
« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2017, 11:30:12 AM »

My report from Nationals:

Overall, what a great event. There was less attendance then in past years. (for yo-yo players as well as spintop players).....but still fun!
The yo-yo players were/are excepting of the spintop crowd, and when we were doing battle, some players actually seemed interested in learning to throw a top. (Unfortunately we did not have time to teach, or extra tops to share.) I think the battletop is a great way to interest someone new into learning how to throw tops, because it is not overly complicated and there is something inherently fun in that type of challenge!
We should set up, and promote, the battletop even more at future events to get more players into this skill toy. Perhaps have an extra cool prize and hype it up in the weeks before the contest. (If we want to draw yo-yo players, it could be a cool new yo-yo?) Also at the event itself we could have a practice battle on the first day or early in the day, and have the official battle toward the end?

Hang out time:
Unfortunately the lobby at the event was quite small, with a hard surface, so it was not a great place to hang out and work on challenging tricks. We also did not have enough top players to constantly have a set area for us. I would come out from judging yo-yos, and hope to find a group of top players....but that only happened a couple of times. Beau and Jose and Tom were predominately the guys I would find. Dennis Shatter also was throwing time to time. I just wish we would have had about 5 more players to mix together! Usually at contests I am teaching someone new to get started....but non of the venders even had tops to sell.
Beau is very good, and should have given competition a try...I am sure at the next event he will do it!

Spintop Freestyle contest:
The freestyles on stage were fun. Jose showed some great skill in regeneration and hitting the hard tricks. Tom was solid, and really impressed me with the trick run using the large yellow top. And Chris had such unique play and stage presence. The crowd loved the body wrap stuff he was doing....and the serving platter stuff was fun!

Battletop
With the ever changing yo-yo schedule, we had a tough time working in WHEN the top battle would happen. In the end we set it up immediately after the awards. But we were also pressed for time as it was getting kind of late.
Instead of the standard "Battletop Champion of the Universe" battles we have done in the past, we made this years battle a "Dartboard" battle.
We had 8 players all throwing at once toward the dartboard. If you landed in one of the small cups, you earned a set number of points written on the cup. If you ended up on the board outside of the cup you got 1 point. And whoever spun the longest got a bonus 5 points.
The challenge was to get on the board without being smashed into by another top and thrown clear! We decided to go with 8 rounds to match the number of spinners.
Good time....and John Bozung ended up victorious!
Here is his "Come on Dave.....you did not expect to beat me face!"

I was happy to be part of this event, and want to thank Jorge for thinking of me as a head judge and organizer, and Dennis Shatter and Hans VanDanElzen who judged with me.

Just FYI
2018 US Yo-Yo Nationals is June 29-July 1 in Chicago.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up