- 6 (50%)
Entertaining but overrated
- 5 (41.7%)
Not very good
- 0 (0%)
Waste, go see something else
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Author Topic: new movie starts with a spinning top......"Inception"  (Read 31529 times)

baltimore

Re: new movie starts with a spinning top......"Inception"
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 10:54:49 AM »

great movie!  awesome prop.  you can order one here!

http://www.shapeways.com/model/137708/inception_top.html
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 03:38:01 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 12:03:52 PM »

That's what I call entrepreneurship! I hope you sell some.
I see you uploaded the file July 19th, so I imagine you don't have your own copy, yet.
It is nice that one can select from all those materials, but it can get really expensive for glass, stainless steel and even gold plated!

By the way, welcome! Are you a top player?

I found another interesting top for sale on that site. It is called Alexandras top and it is a puzzle:

http://www.shapeways.com/model/86797/alexandras_top.html

SQ: I am envious. The last drive-in in San Antonio closed two years ago. I wanted to go for a long time but my wife was concerned about "that part of town" at night and we never went  :(
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 12:13:48 PM by ta0 »

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 07:59:40 PM »

You have a DRIVE INN!  Wow, is it the last in the country?   ;)

We sure do, and it rocks!

http://www.westwinddriveins.com/theaters/
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 08:01:14 PM by SpinQueen »

baltimore

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2010, 10:11:59 AM »

That's what I call entrepreneurship! I hope you sell some.
I see you uploaded the file July 19th, so I imagine you don't have your own copy, yet.
It is nice that one can select from all those materials, but it can get really expensive for glass, stainless steel and even gold plated!

By the way, welcome! Are you a top player?

nope, not a top player.  i just joined to post the link =/  i figured some of you here might be interested.

I'd like to get a lot more made on a cnc lathe, but we'll see.  I've contacted a few machine shops.  there is a large market for movie props, and i'm involved in that.  I thought maybe some people here would be interested in having it, so i came to share.

I've sold a couple.  since the process at shapeways isn't super cheap, there is not much profit, but I dont have to put out any money up front, so its easy

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2010, 10:49:15 AM »

Um, anybody else take a look at that shapeways site?  It is a 3D printing service.  You draw a 3D model of something and they PRINT IT!  Among their materials are ABS and Stainless Steel...  Now what could we make with those materials... hmmmmmm....  thinking...... darnit..... tip of my tounge.....

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2010, 01:58:16 PM »

Patio umbrella?  ;D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2010, 03:37:43 PM »

Topperware?  8)

I imagine the cost is proportional to the volume of the build, so a regular size top will have a hefty price. But it you are certain what your ideal top should look like, it may be worth making it . . . gold plated!  :o

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2010, 07:02:14 PM »

Patio umbrella?  ;D
haHaHAhaughHAhahHaAA!!!  Yes, I seem to go through those rather fast.  I want to order a patio umbrella pole now just yo find out how long it wold take to print one.

IgorBO

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 05:46:26 AM »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 08:44:41 PM »

My oldest son saw this movie and said it is "awesome"!!!  This is high praise from him.  He sees all kinds of movies as he works at Blockbuster.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2010, 02:53:57 PM »

USA Today newspaper headline says 'Inception' continues its dream run at No. 1.  It appears to be heading toward grossing over $200 million this weekend!

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2010, 11:13:36 PM »

Wow!

And have you seen the number of view of this thread? Over 1700! We have obviously had many visitors that stumbled into this forum thanks to the movie.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 07:40:26 AM »

No, I did not notice all those views.  And I had no idea people were stumbling into our forum because of the movie.  Interesting!

Greaves504

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2010, 10:54:38 AM »

you know what's scary about that movie? Most of the things (except maybe going into another person's dream via device) is possible. The mind is a very complex structure and we humans use less than 10 percent of it. There has been many studies on this subject, not on dreams, but the ability to delve into one's mind so much that reality becomes blurred. I've been researching hypnosis for a number of years and hope to get a certification in Ultra Depth Hypnosis. There's technically about four types of hypnosis so far, stage, Ericksonian, NeuroLinguisticProgramming, and Ultra Depth. The reason there are laws against messing with someone's head in such a fashion, is because it is completely possible to turn someone into a vegetable and lock them inside their own mind so to speak. The founder of the Ultra Depth method, while still developing the technique, thought he put a little girl into a coma by accident when she wouldn't wake up. He kept saying to open her eyes at the count of three but she never did. Finally right before he called the ambulance, she woke up and he asked her why she didn't open her eyes when he said. Her response was that she did. The hypnosis caused her to become in such a state that time was warped in her mind. What seemed like a split second was really well over an hour. 

Another interesting point is that after he perfected the technique, a doctor friend got in a horrible motorcycle accident which completely ruined his facial structure and was thought never to move again. After putting him under, his recovery was so unprecedented they believed it was a miracle. His face, which was before mishapen had completely healed with almost no trace of slamming head first into pavement. he walked out of there a couple months or so later.

Ericksonian seems to deal more with control, NLP deals with persuasion, and Ultra Depth with healing. I think my future wife would appreciate not feeling any pain during childbirth wouldn't u? You get certified for painless child birth once you pass the course.

Sorry if this is too long or too off subject, I just figured you guys might want to know a little more about the complexity of the human mind and its ability to do unbelievable things.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:03:20 AM by Greaves504 »
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up