iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 1185 times)

Eben

Greetings!
« on: January 03, 2020, 11:06:58 AM »

Hello, just wanted to write a quick post to introduce myself here on the forums. I'm originally from Vermont, currently based in Boston and got into tops a few months ago after a longtime friend of mine introduced me to precision machined tops. I've become pretty active in the top communities on Facebook (especially Pocket Top Talk) and have begun collecting tops by two of my favorite makers, Chase Lindley (Plier Spinning Tops, https://www.etsy.com/shop/PlierSpinningTops/sold) and Phil Ganderton (Spin in Style, https://www.instagram.com/drphilgandini).

This seems like a great community and I'm looking forward to learning more about this fascinating hobby!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 12:50:02 PM »

Welcome Eben!

Several collectors of precision finger tops have joined the forum recently. You'll find that the forum covers tops in any shape and form, although throw tops make the majority of the posts.

At the Texas TopCon I attended a couple of months ago, a Plier Top won the longest duration contest with 26 minutes 27 seconds.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 01:35:36 PM »

Welcome aboard!

Really like the clean Plier designs. No Instagram acct, so couldn't view the others.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 06:42:27 PM »

Yes, welcome to the forum.  I have a lot to learn as I know nothing about Pocket Top Talk or Chase Lindley or Pier Spinning Tops or Phil Ganderton's Spin in Style.  Thanks for giving me some leads on some things to look up in the new year!!!

Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Eben

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 06:51:41 PM »

At the Texas TopCon I attended a couple of months ago, a Plier Top won the longest duration contest with 26 minutes 27 seconds.

Honestly surprised it wasn't longer! The longest I've heard of for a Plier is 32 minutes with a tungsten/aluminum 'Rook' model. My personal best is 22 minutes 13 seconds.

Eben

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 06:53:44 PM »

Yes, welcome to the forum.  I have a lot to learn as I know nothing about Pocket Top Talk or Chase Lindley or Pier Spinning Tops or Phil Ganderton's Spin in Style.  Thanks for giving me some leads on some things to look up in the new year!!!

No problem and looking forward to learning more about the makers I've seen mentioned so far on the forum that I'm totally unfamiliar with. Shoot me a message if you want more suggestions for long spinning finger tops!