iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Contest in Denver Yesterday Dec 19th  (Read 2974 times)

mtntop

• Gold Member
Contest in Denver Yesterday Dec 19th
« on: December 20, 2009, 11:20:53 AM »

Wow we had a great yoyo contest here at the Wizards Chest in Denver. It was really a loy of fun, Darren took first in the spintop battle bracket contest (I took second). Darren also got (In a very close final) 2ND in the open freestyle that could be any style of play, and his freestyle was about half and half spintops and yoyos. it was a very fun contest due to a new and exciting format put together by Jon Gates and some young and energetic members of our weekly spin club a great big thanks for all there hard work. If anyone is interested in the contest format just check out Jon's site www.yo-motion.com/Yo-motion/Home.html 
I am also happy to say we had a good turnout in the spintop battle bracket and we have had many of the highly skilled yoyo players in our club pick up spin tops over the last month and half they are still learning to steady there boomerangs but watch out if these guys and girls yoyo skills are any indication our summer contest spintop section is going to get a lot more competitive. I do have to say my favorite part of the competition yesterday was truly all of the support and good sportsmanship that was shown by all the players both expert and beginner alike. And congrats again to Darren Kim who through his talent and good nature deserves his mounting awards, his new sponsorship by crucial , and a great deal of recognition for not only being a great player but also a great sport. I am proud to have him as a friend and know that it is people like him that grow our sport.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 11:26:18 AM by mtntop »
Spinning In Mind

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Contest in Denver Yesterday Dec 19th
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 03:37:25 PM »

Wonderful! I was at the Wizards Chest for the 08 Colorado State Contest and I could see you have a very nice group of players. 

So this year the spintop ladder was replaced by a spintop battle? Did you get more people to compete?

It is great that Darren used spintops for half of his freestyle and still got a close second. Tops are slower than yo-yos so it is difficult to score at the same level.

I look forward to Denver becoming a hotbed of spintop play  ;D
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 03:39:25 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 08:25:25 PM »

It's good to hear about spintop contests going on at this time of the year.  Go Colorado.........especially Denver!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Darren Kim

• Gold Member
    • This Blog is Crucial
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2009, 04:29:07 PM »

Yeah, our tournament had quite a few spin toppers. It was decided on a battle instead of a ladder, because a lot of kids could throw solid spinners, but were just recently mastering their boomerangs. The idea for this division was a success, and I think it's a great idea to get the upcoming toppers an opportunity to participate in a top contest.

Thanks for all the complements but the forum needs to know that Joe, aka mtntop contributed a lot more than he may go on to say. Joe will help teach a kid how to throw and correct a top, and is very generous with lending his equipment out to a first timer, so they can get a feel of topping. I am also proud to have mtntop as a friend. He shows us how to be a role model for all those who look up to him!
Spin top is the new yo-yo

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »

Well said, Darren!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2023, 09:25:26 PM »

My wife and I were on the eastern side of Cincinnati in an area called Oakley.  She heard they had a great ice cream store named Aglamesis Brothers.  It was a cool store but better yet was the fact that they are next door to a toy store called King Arthur's Court.  What a great spot with lots of variety.  Sadly, not many spinning items or tops.  I talked with the guy who orders for them and he said they have patterned themselves after a store in Denver.  With that comment, my ears perked up and I asked the name of the store in Denver.  Wizard's Chest he said.  I told him about how I have known that store for a number of years because of some champion yoyoers and top spinners named Jon Gates and Darren Kim.  That was great fun to hear about someone else who knows that legendary store out in the mile high city.