iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 3D Printed Top  (Read 141481 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: 3D Printed Top
« Reply #330 on: August 02, 2018, 11:47:00 AM »

You guys are amazing.  Out of curiosity, which library will soon have it's first 3D printed peg top?  It might be going down in history!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #331 on: August 02, 2018, 01:06:02 PM »

I'll go going to the Greece, NY public library tomorrow morning. I will post a picture of what I wind up with - success or failure! I have 2 of the YoYo factory tips so, if I am lucky, I will have a functional 3D printed top by the end of the day tomorrow.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #332 on: August 02, 2018, 01:26:15 PM »

It's a long time to wait for a print...the estimate is more than four hours! I need to think about this given the time investment.

Given the successful print and review from paxl13 I may give it a go.

I'll bring stuff to read and maybe I can get in some top throwing at the library if I promise to be quiet.

Thank you jmadrigal for the advice and making the file available. Thank you paxl13 for the encouragement.

The best string for the top IMO is a very big string ( bigger than what I use for QSH and spintastic grande ) If I had to live with a
non custom string I'd use a spintastic grande! The biggest drawback from this top is that the smallest part of the tip is not small enough
for good regenerative play but works very well for wirewalker type of play!

Anyway, good luck and it's a fun game. I need to start modeling mine, there is a ton of design I'd love to try but the 3d printer I own
is broken and i have no idea how to get it back working :(
Spinning is life!!!!

samb

« Reply #333 on: December 04, 2018, 03:43:35 PM »

First of all, congratulations on a very well done 3D printed design.

Sharp Curvatures are always a problem with FDM (Fuse Deposition Molding) printing. This is true no matter how much you spend on a printer. I think your work is really good given the printer you are using. I recommend exploring  Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) Nylon. See data sheet attached. This solution is provided cost effectively thru www.shapeways.com.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 04:38:22 PM by samb »

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #334 on: December 04, 2018, 09:16:07 PM »

Sintering is a fantastic 3D printing process for making finished strong parts. Nylon is a perfect material for tops. I have printed a bit with nylon and if you do it correctly, you end up with a supper durable product. I have researched sintering machines and they are starting to get to the sub 10k range but thier build volume is small. I would say that in the comming years I will look to get a machine.
I don't mind sending out to online machine shops to make steel parts since you get what you cad up. With sintering, dimentional accuracy might be a bit off on small features. For a top that would be the tip section. You want a seamless fit where the tip joins the top body. You could design around this by adjusting dimentions to account for the shrinkage but that takes a few itterations to get correct.
Thanks for the info.

Jose

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #335 on: December 06, 2018, 01:07:21 PM »

Questions for Jose: As you know, I'm the proud owner of Relampago 3-inch #4, signed inside by the maestro himself!

If an expert player like you were to throw a sleeper onto a hard, low-friction surface like a granite table top...

Q1: How long could you get this top to stay up undisturbed? (Looking for total spin time to first scrape, including the long precession at large tilt at the end.)

Q2: How long would just the sleeping phase last?

Best spin time with the wind-up LEGO starter I made for mine is 150 s (2.5 min). Sleeping phase lasts just over 2 min. Sure you can beat those spin times by throwing. Question is, by how much?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 03:00:04 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #336 on: December 06, 2018, 03:44:02 PM »

Well I haven't really messed around with this a lot. I did spin one a while back and it seemed to be right in the 3min range. I shift weight around in my tops to optimize stability but playability is king.

Pepe

• ITSA
« Reply #337 on: February 22, 2019, 07:33:49 AM »

Another Top to the collection!!

Thanks Jose for sharing!!!! And thanks Zañartu for printing it!! I love you both!!

Now I need advice on:

* String: how many threads? How long? (I dont know it it has been already answered in this thread)
* Balancing/Calibration: I will seach on the forum later...

Cant wait to play with it!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 07:38:10 AM by Pepe »

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #338 on: February 22, 2019, 08:00:07 AM »

Another Top to the collection!!

Thanks Jose for sharing!!!! And thanks Zañartu for printing it!! I love you both!!

Now I need advice on:

* String: how many threads? How long? (I dont know it it has been already answered in this thread)
* Balancing/Calibration: I will seach on the forum later...

Cant wait to play with it!

String: what I've been using successfully is a 3 ply of 3 strand of cotton 10 at a 20% reduction factor ( so if you ply it by hand, 300 inch to 240 inch twist and then ply ).
Balancing: just a bit of poster putty works very well make sure the tip is well bolted and then you should be good to go. Mine is butter smooth!

Then be prepared to pull FULL STRING wirewalkers =) I need to try to learn staircase to heaven at some point. and I think this top might be good for that :)

Cheers and enjoy!
paxl
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:05:18 AM by ta0 »

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #339 on: February 22, 2019, 10:49:14 AM »

As promised, here is a new top for you to print. I uploaded it this morning. This is the top we printed during the festival in France. I am sure most of us have a spare Spintastics tip laying around. Let me know how it goes.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3445315

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #340 on: February 22, 2019, 11:15:19 AM »

As promised, here is a new top for you to print. I uploaded it this morning. This is the top we printed during the festival in France. I am sure most of us have a spare Spintastics tip laying around. Let me know how it goes.
Great! I'll try to print it today.

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #341 on: February 22, 2019, 12:07:27 PM »

Hello yeah, that's really nice of you!

Pepe

• ITSA
« Reply #342 on: February 22, 2019, 12:14:29 PM »

So cool!!!!! Thanks!!!

I have a brand new Spinastics....  >:D

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #343 on: February 22, 2019, 12:44:54 PM »

Wow. thank you so much!!! I'll see if my friend can print it, else I'll just drool on the design sadly :)

Cheers,
paxl

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #344 on: February 23, 2019, 12:32:47 AM »

It's ready and the result was really nice:

It's printed in PETG, 0.2 mm layers, full density. It took 7 hours 42 minutes. Again, I did not use any supports. There is a little bit of spaghetti at the base of the tip section, but inconsequential. 

To put in the diabolo tip I retouched the two diameters with undersized drill bits.
It seems to be a great player. Thanks Jose!