iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jack's "Grade "EH" String" (now dead thx to photobucket)  (Read 107477 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Jack's "Grade "EH" String"
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2016, 09:32:12 PM »

I prefer the 2x4 for most tops but the 3x4 lets you throw harder.

ya thats what i found tday, the 3x4 feels like it has alot more drag on the line. what i did find out was that for "sun-spiders" the 3x4 was actually ALOT easier to use and tended not to tangle as bad  ???

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2016, 10:44:47 AM »

produced another 39 ft yesterday evening @-@

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2016, 08:14:33 PM »

produced these 2 fine specimens tday @-@
each 13 ft. long

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:53:28 AM by ta0 »

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2016, 10:42:39 PM »

Jack, you're a string makin' maniac!  Are you sure you're not making a stockpile inventory for a future Etsy store? Just make some buttons for those strings and you're GOLD.  ;D  ;D

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2016, 11:18:45 AM »

Jack, you're a string makin' maniac!  Are you sure you're not making a stockpile inventory for a future Etsy store? Just make some buttons for those strings and you're GOLD.  ;D  ;D

thank you sir!!!
lol yes unfrotunatly so, i have no intentions of selling string ::)
ya ive been experimenting a bit with buttons lately, ive turned out a few goodones but something is off about them and i dont know
what  :(

Nocto

« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2016, 12:57:24 PM »

I've been thinking about your video, specifically about twisting direction: if you twist the string clockwise and then untwist it counterclockwise from the opposite point of view, are you not, from the original point of view, twisting clockwise the whole way through? The end result appears to work out, though, which makes this all the more confusing.

I'll try when I can with my Technic 3-ply gearbox that I haven't tested yet, because I'm curious to know what happens if you twist clockwise from the opposite point of view (which would make it counterclockwise from the original point of view).

Let me know if you try.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2016, 03:00:12 PM »

I've been thinking about your video, specifically about twisting direction: if you twist the string clockwise and then untwist it counterclockwise from the opposite point of view, are you not, from the original point of view, twisting clockwise the whole way through? The end result appears to work out, though, which makes this all the more confusing.

I'll try when I can with my Technic 3-ply gearbox that I haven't tested yet, because I'm curious to know what happens if you twist clockwise from the opposite point of view (which would make it counterclockwise from the original point of view).

Let me know if you try.

yes that is correct, the confusion comes in because of the fact i cant spin the headstock. mr neffs "kneff" design is much more efficient in that regard  ;)

lol ill leave experimenting for someone else, it literally takes 30-45 minutes of cranking on the headstock furiously to get a 13 ft length with my rig so by the time im ready to start cranking the tail stock im in no mood for experimenting lol  ;D
ud wind up making left handed string though if you did crank clockwise on the tailstock, id be surprised if it worked after ud cranked clockwise on the headstock though  ???

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2016, 03:04:41 PM »

it didnt turn out as visible as i had hoped but that "white" strand is actually a very nice minty colour, anyway im still quite pleased with the result  ;D might try a 2x2 mint/pink later though cus i think that might be a better way to showcase the mint colour.
13 ft.

Nocto

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2016, 04:48:16 PM »

Let me know if you try.

yes that is correct, the confusion comes in because of the fact i cant spin the headstock. mr neffs "kneff" design is much more efficient in that regard  ;)

But that's the thing. Neff, if I watched the video attentively, spins the gear shaft counterclockwise so that the gears on his k'nex gearbox spin clockwise--which is what you do. Then, the headstock, again, if I was attentive, unwinds counterclockwise, which from the point of view of the tailstock is clockwise--which is not what you do. All things being equal, unwinding from the tailstock or the headstock shouldn't make a difference, unless I'm missing something.

I'll have to test it, because your way seems to work all the same. *scratches head*

edit: I just tried, and the string seems to just untwist itself (not the individual plies). I don't get it, but I guess there's no denying empirical evidence.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 08:21:43 PM by Nocto »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2016, 11:48:27 PM »

Let me know if you try.

But that's the thing. Neff, if I watched the video attentively, spins the gear shaft counterclockwise so that the gears on his k'nex gearbox spin clockwise--which is what you do. Then, the headstock, again, if I was attentive, unwinds counterclockwise, which from the point of view of the tailstock is clockwise--which is not what you do. All things being equal, unwinding from the tailstock or the headstock shouldn't make a difference, unless I'm missing something.

I'll have to test it, because your way seems to work all the same. *scratches head*

edit: I just tried, and the string seems to just untwist itself (not the individual plies). I don't get it, but I guess there's no denying empirical evidence.

my brain is hurting nocto  :'(

Nocto

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2016, 12:35:22 AM »

Wipe everything I just said from your mind. I was wrong and your way works. *waves magic wand*

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2016, 03:47:55 AM »

Wow! What beautiful line. Do they do wire walkers both ways? I can just imagine the beautiful tops you could make when you get your hands on a wood lathe.

Nocto

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2016, 02:14:14 PM »

Here's my less than impressive 3-ply by comparison.

It twisted really weird compared to the twice-folded method; almost looks braided. I'll have to work on the process.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2016, 03:26:57 PM »

Here's my less than impressive 3-ply by comparison.

It twisted really weird compared to the twice-folded method; almost looks braided. I'll have to work on the process.

looks good to me  :D
3ply isnt as round as the 4ply, 3 ply feels a little more frictiony on the string imo.
once youve tasted neffy 4 ply........youre never the same again  :o

can you post some pics of your rig? im very interested to see what you came up with eh 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 10:23:48 AM by ta0 »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2016, 01:28:49 PM »

once youve tasted neffy 4 ply........youre never the same again  :o
Another shirt!

can you post some pics of your rig? im very interested to see what you came up with eh
Ditto