iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Jack's "Grade "EH" String" (now dead thx to photobucket)  (Read 107471 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Jack's "Grade "EH" String"
« Reply #135 on: September 19, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »

No, Jack, you are NOT the only top spinner without a university degree.  We may be few, but we are mighty!!   ;)

we are the few.....the proud....the marin....i mean ....the uneducated top spinners  ;D

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #136 on: September 19, 2016, 01:37:41 PM »

well this is a rather interesting colourway  ;D
extra points if you know how i did this  >:D

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #137 on: September 19, 2016, 08:50:07 PM »

this this is a rather interesting colourway. its 2x2 red/blue and it is has a very interesting optical illusion effect. it sort of makes your eyes feel like theyre twitching around @-@ (at least in person), and also when the string is moving its purple @-@ what the heck man!?!?? im just a simple jack trying to make simple string!!! not freaking optical illusions!!!  ;D

The red and blue turning to purple in a moving string is a classic example of color mixing due to a phenomenon most often called "persistence of vision". I reported some top-based experiments with color mixing at http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/421944. Below are some photos from that blog page.

Since the orbits of the red and blue LEGO parts never overlap as the top above spins, you never get true purple, but you do mix up a lot of other colors that aren't present in the top at rest.

Below is another example of color mixing due to motion. The mixing rules in effect in all of these examples are those for mixing light, not for mixing paint or pigment or ink. The light mixing rules predict that orange and lime green will mix to a nice bright yellow rather than the yucky brown you'd expect from paint.

I'm less familiar with the "twitching" illusion you noticed, but I think Diz is on the right track.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #138 on: September 22, 2016, 11:09:06 AM »

this this is a rather interesting colourway. its 2x2 red/blue and it is has a very interesting optical illusion effect. it sort of makes your eyes feel like theyre twitching around @-@ (at least in person), and also when the string is moving its purple @-@ what the heck man!?!?? im just a simple jack trying to make simple string!!! not freaking optical illusions!!!  ;D

The red and blue turning to purple in a moving string is a classic example of color mixing due to a phenomenon most often called "persistence of vision". I reported some top-based experiments with color mixing at http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/421944. Below are some photos from that blog page.

Since the orbits of the red and blue LEGO parts never overlap as the top above spins, you never get true purple, but you do mix up a lot of other colors that aren't present in the top at rest.

Below is another example of color mixing due to motion. The mixing rules in effect in all of these examples are those for mixing light, not for mixing paint or pigment or ink. The light mixing rules predict that orange and lime green will mix to a nice bright yellow rather than the yucky brown you'd expect from paint.

I'm less familiar with the "twitching" illusion you noticed, but I think Diz is on the right track.

whoa!!! thank your the science sir!!! i shall attempt to digest it with a few cookies  ;)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:15:55 AM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #139 on: September 22, 2016, 11:25:50 AM »

well this is a rather interesting colourway  ;D
extra points if you know how i did this  >:D

so i just got around to wrapping this colourway around a top this morning (so is the plight of jack.......so many strings....so few tops wind them on........... ;D) and i thought this was interesting enough to post a pic or 2. behold what was once a jumble of random colours, has now joined into bands of excellent deliciousness......if this were a cookie it would be a special cookie @-@
i did not expect this result  ???

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #140 on: September 22, 2016, 03:44:33 PM »

Quite striking, Jack. On the top, it reminds me of a tapestry. No idea how you did this.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #141 on: September 22, 2016, 11:09:54 PM »

Me likes! Very much!  8)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2016, 08:05:35 AM »

Cool!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #143 on: September 25, 2016, 03:23:18 PM »

Quite striking, Jack. On the top, it reminds me of a tapestry. No idea how you did this.
Me likes! Very much!  8)
Cool!

thanks guys  ;D

behold!!! the pain in the butt to produce "Harley Quinn" inspired colourway @-@
not the margot whatserface harley but rather the old harley  ::)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:32:23 PM by Jack »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #144 on: September 25, 2016, 06:14:25 PM »

Wow, is that 2 leftie strands spun rightie with 2 more?  How do you keep it smooth?

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #145 on: September 25, 2016, 07:40:25 PM »

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 09:07:16 AM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #146 on: September 27, 2016, 01:57:56 PM »

i have discovered what colourway i shall be using for all of eternity with my QSH @-@

« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 02:00:26 PM by Jack »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #147 on: September 30, 2016, 12:54:02 PM »

tasty mint/pink @-@
its quite annoying that the mint doesnt showup very well in pictures  ???

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #148 on: October 02, 2016, 01:20:48 AM »

its quite annoying that the mint doesnt showup very well in pictures  ???
Try photographing in your cool light box, but on a black or dark background.  I suspect your hand is throwing off the auto settings of your camera.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #149 on: October 04, 2016, 09:50:02 PM »

Try photographing in your cool light box, but on a black or dark background.  I suspect your hand is throwing off the auto settings of your camera.

i shall try that my good man, thank you  ;)