iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Takeshi tangler and vintage daveid  (Read 7039 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Takeshi tangler and vintage daveid
« on: December 14, 2009, 11:09:18 PM »

Is anybody working on The Takeshi Tangler (T3 = T-cubed)?

I was reading an old post by daveid on Button & String that links to a couple of google videos of him. In one he does a variation on the Tangler exit that looks like an Astrojack move. That reminds me that one day I need to start working again on that stuff. Like on UD tangler . . .

« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 08:51:35 AM by ta0 »

Takeshi

• Gold Member
Re: Takeshi tangler and vintage daveid
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2009, 09:44:48 PM »

lol, that image is awesome!

I have gotten 3-4 revolutions with the UD tangler, but it took so long for me to get it set up before I could even try the tangle part.  90% of the time I lost control just trying to get them upside-down.  And if I did get them upside down, as soon as I would throw them into the tangler part, they would fly off.  I wanted to give up but then I got them to tangle and go around 3-4 times before they flew off of string. 

So, I know it's absolutely possible to get into it, but I have no idea how to get out.  Maybe just  letting them wind around until the string gets wrapped tight around the tips and letting go of the string in your left hand and trying to maneuver the tops back upright.  I haven't worked on UD tangler in about two years though.  It got to be VERY discouraging.  I should start trying it again though... in front of the camera ;)

I would love to see Daveid try to do his mach-5'ish start to his tangler, but doing a half flop before throwing 'em into it.  I bet he could get close.  I can't do his tricks.  They're too hard.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2009, 10:34:08 PM »

It's good to read some of the thoughts that are in Takeshi's mind.  Yes, after all my two top attempts, I truly believe that an upside down tangler would be extremely difficult.  But, if anyone could do it.......it would be someone on this board like Takeshi or Daveid or Jorge.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Quiz!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 11:55:12 PM »

A very long-spinning top, like a Throwback or a Gates, should help: you may need to change sponsor, Takeshi  :P

I scanned the drawing from a comics magazine that my youngest son got. It is not super easy to find on the internet, so this is a good opportunity for a spintop quiz: who is the superhero that always fights The Tangler? First to answer gets a free Mexican top (my choice, but if you already have some you'll get a different one).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 11:57:21 PM by ta0 »

Trevor

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2009, 12:51:34 AM »

Spiderman?

Jeromy K.

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2009, 12:54:46 AM »

Z Strap? Is this an old Sketchers shoe add?

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2009, 02:27:14 AM »

I have no idea, but I'm sure that Wonder Woman could kick that Tanglers butt.  We've all seen her Lasso after all!

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2009, 08:15:26 AM »

Definitely Z-strap.

Rob

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 10:30:34 AM »

Good job Jeromy and Rob!

With my son's shoes came a little 16 page comic book, S vol. 2: "The Tangler at SK8 Park" You got yourself another Mexican top Jeromy! I'll also send you one, Rob   ;)