iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down

Author Topic: Neffy Collection  (Read 6717 times)

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Neffy Collection
« on: June 20, 2016, 08:33:54 AM »

Jon Gates and I were talking collections and I accidentally made this video.

robtsou

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Neffy Collection
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 09:16:47 AM »

Nice! I need to work on mine.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 11:41:27 AM »

thanx Chris

and cool (meditat' ) editing  ;)

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 01:12:31 PM »

Great trumpet!  Oh, great tops too!!!  Thanks for accidentally sharing the fun.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 11:33:52 PM »

I enjoyed trying to recognize all the tops. That they are mostly in groups depending on the maker, helps.
Quite a few Neff tops there. I am guessing you made the whip tops with white (delrin) sides and the Colombian trompo with a delrin knob.
I saw a group of Trompos Space (you got the Bullet), Eric Wolf tops including 10 ball, several (3?) YYF protos, Cuper (with a Boot's cap), a Weerd proto, Alan's battle tops, several modded Spintastics, Toycrafter, BC, vintage Duncan, S8 (a Titi but no Sophia  :-\ ), and Mexican tops that look really familiar. No pile of modern Duncans?  ??? Good collection of top patches (including ITSA  8) ) and buttons (where do I get the Duncan boy button?)
Something I don't have and I want is the plastic rascal in the package.
Thanks for having that video accident!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 12:12:15 AM »

I grew up listening to my Mom's Herb Alpert records. I need to get some of my own!

Oh, cool tops too.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 03:10:19 AM »

Thanks for sharing. Big and small you got it all. And it's all fun.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 10:13:57 AM »

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssss!!!!!!!!!
that is a delicious collection sir!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 01:02:59 PM »

1) I am guessing you made the whip tops with white (delrin) sides and the Colombian trompo with a delrin knob.
2) No pile of modern Duncans? 
3) (where do I get the Duncan boy button?)

1) Whip tops are just PVC pipe, Colombian knob is delrin-ish... not sure, I found it at work, kinda waxy.  That top is hollow with a Corian weight ring.
2) There is a pile of Duncans at 2:05, but most of those are older BK's / RC's. I mod and sell any new BK's I get, I have quite a few of them out there now...
3) I am totally embarrassed to say I cannot remember who gave me the Duncan Boy button.  It is hand-made and a wonderful gift and I am beating my head against the wall trying to remember who gave it to me...  Dangit!

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 06:08:44 PM »

Dear Neff,

Whip tops? PVC pipes? Are you suggesting you made those large spin tops out of pvc pipe? How in the world do you do this? Do you use a hairdryer to make the pvc malleable and then shape it? That sounds really cool!

Thank you very much for sharing. That looks like a LOT of money on that floor. I can't help but think about how much money in top form is on that floor, and yet... If someone broke in, they would probably just  think you are weird, and would probably try to take your tv instead. I just bought a Strummol8 Sofia spintop. When I tell my mother how much it costs, she will rip out my sideburns :D. I reallly do find it strange how people are surprised by how expensive tops can be. No one finds a 1,200$ guitar to be unreasonable, but a 20$ spintop? To most people, from my experience, it seems ludicrous.

What kinds of comments have you recieved on your spintops from non-spinners? I bet they think you are crazy (everyone here has to be just a little bit off center, some more than others @_@ :D).  I find your collection  at this point to be historical, and find it strange/sad how well documented the history of war is.. But, never anything else.. I think tops are cooler than guns and swords anyway. I like your arsenal!

What about everyone else? What kinds of commends do you recieve for your collections (no matter how small) from non spinners? Most people didn't think a "bearing" spin top is even possible. Most people think an under the leg boomerang and a merry go round is literally some kind of sorcery.

Thanks again!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 12:24:45 AM »

Whip tops? PVC pipes? Are you suggesting you made those large spin tops out of pvc pipe? How in the world do you do this? Do you use a hairdryer to make the pvc malleable and then shape it? That sounds really cool!

The two white tops at the top of the image below are just standard size hollow pvc pipes with wood plugging up one end and a nail driven through the wood for a point. Just and experiment. Oh and they whistle too. Metal pipe would spin a lot longer.

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 12:32:50 AM »

Dear Neff,

Thank you so much for the picture. Would you please tell me why you would do something like plugging up a pipe to make a top?

Thank you again!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2016, 01:06:12 AM »

The two white tops at the top of the image below are just standard size hollow pvc pipes with wood plugging up one end and a nail driven through the wood for a point. Just and experiment. Oh and they whistle too. Metal pipe would spin a lot longer.

i need build this @-@
how did you make it whistle?
is it easy to use?
does it spin well?

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 01:22:09 PM »

Thank you so much for the picture. Would you please tell me why you would do something like plugging up a pipe to make a top?
Oh if you have to ask it is clear that you have been deprived of the extreme fun of large whistling whip tops. A trip to Miamisburg this August is in order! Then you will know! :)  Team whipping of a large whistler is outstanding fun. (and loud!)

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2016, 01:18:20 AM »

Whip Tops are Great Fun to bad YYE doesn't sale them.  Nice collection, I could have hours of fun just throwing them.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 01:20:22 AM by Shootist »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2016, 09:50:56 AM »

i need build this @-@
how did you make it whistle?
is it easy to use?
does it spin well?

i need build this @-@ -----------------------A-men
how did you make it whistle? --------------cunning use of holes (i get pics for you)
is it easy to use? ------------------------------nope
does it spin well? -----------------------------also nope

I thought I posted about this before, but I can't find it. Lemme look for some footage and pics, and I will try to make a new Neffy Whip Top post
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up