iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Catch the top with the point up  (Read 4364 times)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Catch the top with the point up
« on: May 14, 2016, 11:50:19 PM »

Back in the days when I was learning the boomerang, my friend Rolando taught me how to catch a top when the tip is horizontal.  Now that I am learning to improve my regen skills this trick is sometimes useful.  I have often wondered if it is even within the the realm of human speed and reach to catch a top with the point UP!  Have any of you entertained this puzzle either in theory or in practice?
Will I be the first to do an upside down boomerang to arm walker? :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 11:31:00 AM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Catch the top with the point up
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 11:56:12 PM »

A. yes i think ud be the first  ;D
B. .......challenge accepted  >:D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 11:31:21 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 11:37:05 AM »

What exactly do you mean? Grabbing the tip of a bearing top with the top upside down? I believe daveid has done some of that.

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2016, 06:31:04 PM »

I've certainly landed the top in less that optimal orientation, but closer to horizontal, rather than a full inversion.

A full inverted boomerang? I've seen guys do a string capture and do tricks inverted. Getting the top in the proper orientation wouldn't be a big problem, just throw it "right side up" would be a good starting point. I think the wrap might have to be inverted too for proper spin, but I'll mess with that later if I feel up to it. I would think on a boomerang catch, you'd have to find a way to carry the motion to rotate the top back into something more practical. That's way beyond my skill level at the moment!
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2016, 08:07:04 PM »

A full inverted boomerang? I've seen guys do a string capture and do tricks inverted. Getting the top in the proper orientation wouldn't be a big problem, just throw it "right side up" would be a good starting point. I think the wrap might have to be inverted too for proper spin, but I'll mess with that later if I feel up to it.

heres how to hold a top for an upsidedown boomerang, wrap it the same as usual and simply turn it upside down when your
done winding  ;)
depending on string length it will very but generally you use a sort of bowling motion with the top laying horizontally tip to the left

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2016, 10:34:28 PM »

What exactly do you mean? Grabbing the tip of a bearing top with the top upside down? I believe daveid has done some of that.
No, not that at all. 

Imagine doing a sewing machine. The top comes up to chest level and is horizontal. The point is to the right. A sweeping hand motion brings the top upright spinning on your hand. It is not so hard to do.

Next imagine the top coming up with the point 10 degrees above horizontal. It is a good bit harder but possible to land the top on your hand.

Then the point 20 degrees up. Then 25 ...  Then upside down.  Hmm....

Part of the difficulty will be getting the top to be coming upward point first.

studio42

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 02:42:42 PM »

A full inverted boomerang? I've seen guys do a string capture and do tricks inverted. Getting the top in the proper orientation wouldn't be a big problem, just throw it "right side up" would be a good starting point. I think the wrap might have to be inverted too for proper spin, but I'll mess with that later if I feel up to it.

heres how to hold a top for an upsidedown boomerang, wrap it the same as usual and simply turn it upside down when your
done winding  ;)
depending on string length it will very but generally you use a sort of bowling motion with the top laying horizontally tip to the left

Wouldn't you want to wrap it the opposite way so it unwinds easier? As in "wrap it for a lefty if you're doing this right handed" kind of thing. I'm sure what you're showing would work, I'm just thinking what might work a little better.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 04:20:54 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2016, 04:30:23 PM »

Wouldn't you want to wrap it the opposite way so it unwinds easier? As in "wrap it for a lefty if you're doing this right handed" kind of thing. I'm sure what you're showing would work, I'm just thinking what might work a little better.

No, you have to wrap it that way so it spins and precesses in the normal direction.
If you experiment trying to throw a top upside down, you will find that it is more difficult than what you would expect (at least after you learn to throw tip down!).
I created that throw after experimenting quite a bit. My goal was to use the same string length and same wrap than with the usual throw. It is a weird hold, with the top grinding the hand on the exit instead of rolling, but it works for most tops in a large range of sizes.
You need a smooth bowling-type throw and a sharp pull at the end. If the top comes back standing, the throw was too strong. If it comes horizontally, you did not pull hard enough at the end.

Jack: the short-circuit looks tiny in your hand!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 04:32:26 PM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2016, 05:06:27 PM »

Jack: the short-circuit looks tiny in your hand!

that is why my anishinaabe friends call me "jack big hand"  ;D
it must be the camera on my phone because my hands are actually small im pretty sure  :-\

studio42

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2016, 05:19:43 PM »

No, you have to wrap it that way so it spins and precesses in the normal direction.

I hadn't thought of that. That makes sense.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 07:16:37 PM »

this might help  ;)