iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SOUTH INDIA LATOO  (Read 11198 times)

Ludo

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
SOUTH INDIA LATOO
« on: March 15, 2014, 05:18:57 PM »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: SOUTH INDIA LATOO
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 02:00:54 PM »

Great find, Ludo!  The photograph are very nice and the tops unusual.
I looked up Vellore and it is east of Bangalore.

Tops with such long tips must be difficult to control!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 06:28:57 PM »

that was really interesting ludo thanks  :D

i wonder if the long tip has something to do with the playing surface?????
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:27:48 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 11:37:15 AM »

that was really interesting ludo thanks  :D

i wonder if the long tip has something to do with the playing surface?????

I don't know. 
One thing about a long tip is that the top will "walk and dance" a lot and it is more likely it will sweep tops spinning close by.  That makes for a more interesting game, specially on a flat surface.
Another possibility is that at one time there was an "arms race," using nails longer and longer to make them more scary. On these pictures the tips do not seem to be nails. They look more like thin iron rods with a flat ending.  But this could be a more recent change for safety reasons.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 09:29:44 PM »

just found out its also spelled "lattu" also "bambaram"  ;)

« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 09:34:45 PM by Jack »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 12:13:08 AM »

http://mewarudr.blogspot.ca/2012_05_01_archive.html

"Bambaram is yet another traditional game played in TamilNadu and Karnataka also known as Lattu in Urdu. Spinning Tops are used for fun experience in this game. The skill and interest in this game is reducing due to other interests taking priority and also due to unsafe nails along with bullying of younger, smaller, poorer kids. This game is

Components of Bambaram:
Wooden Top (Coloring is optional - to make it interesting and attractive)

Pointed Nail for getting the center

String to get the starting spin (also used for lifting the spinning top)
How to Play:
Bambaram has very simple rules. All the players have to go at the same time for the ‘Goes’ – this is the ‘toss’ for the game. The ‘Goes’ process is – at the count of 1, 2, 3 all the players should wind their Bambarams with their ropes, unwind it on the ground to rotate and then pick it up with the rope as quickly as possible. The primary skill on this rely on shortest rope length usage and still make the bamabram to rotate on the ground allowing you to catch it back with the rope
Conditions for losing the toss:
The player who losses the Toss will keep their bambarams inside the circle drawn on the ground. The rest of the members will have a go at the bambarams inside the circle. The people who managed to finish the toss successfully try to spin their bambaram over the bambarams in the circle trying to break them and/or trying to getting them out of the circle. Each time the spinning bambaram has to be picked up successfully to continue."

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2014, 07:32:04 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WaxyAxle

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2014, 10:19:34 PM »

I bought a few of these when I was in India last summer.  We threw them at Mike's Whirled Top Festival.  They are a unique challenge to throw.  Have you gotten the hang of it yet John M?

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2014, 06:21:16 PM »

I did not become proficient or even consistent with this top and when this stress crack appeared I stopped trying.  :'(  I suppose these are made with wood that is a little green which should be easier to turn than fully cured wood.  I don't recall the crack appearing during play (or to be more honest, during impact with something hard) so I think it popped on the shelf.  You might check your inventory to see if others have cracked.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2014, 12:52:12 AM »

:'(  I suppose these are made with wood that is a little green which should be easier to turn than fully cured wood.  I don't recall the crack appearing during play (or to be more honest, during impact with something hard) so I think it popped on the shelf.  You might check your inventory to see if others have cracked.

the old shelf pop-arooney.... i feel your pain  :(
the crack in that big gasing that audibly snapped on my table is about twice as wide nowadays..........but still spins fine  :P dont give up on your latoo yet john!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 12:54:38 AM by Jack »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 07:12:37 PM »

« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 07:18:20 PM by Jack »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 07:45:06 PM »

Good finds, Jack!

"Buguri" which is constantly repeated on the animated video is the name for spinning top in the Indian language Kannada which is mainly spoken in the SW Indian state of Karnataka (thanks Wikipedia).

Just south of Karnataka's capital, Bangalore, is Channapatna which apparently is famous for its traditional toy industry.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2016, 12:07:45 AM by ta0 »