iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Preschool spinners  (Read 2367 times)

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Preschool spinners
« on: September 12, 2015, 08:00:15 PM »

I spent a couple of weeks on vacation recently, most of it in Houston, Texas.  While there, I visited my sister-in-law in her preschool classroom.  While there, I found....

A bin full of tops!  They were large finger spinners, which had been made for the preschool by high school wood shop students, as their final lathe projects.  I took a picture, and I'll try to include it here (although I don't get along with computers real well).

They were all made of similar wood, although I don't know what it was.  The grain was open and coarse, and some of them were quite light weight.  Most of them spun well enough, except for one, which didn't work well, at all.  The one that spun the best is in my hand in the photo.

I loved that I was able to find tops, even while away on vacation....   :)

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Preschool spinners
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 08:07:33 PM »

I spent a couple of weeks on vacation recently, most of it in Houston, Texas.  While there, I visited my sister-in-law in her preschool classroom.  While there, I found....

A bin full of tops!  They were large finger spinners, which had been made for the preschool by high school wood shop students, as their final lathe projects.  I took a picture, and I'll try to include it here (although I don't get along with computers real well).

They were all made of similar wood, although I don't know what it was.  The grain was open and coarse, and some of them were quite light weight.  Most of them spun well enough, except for one, which didn't work well, at all.  The one that spun the best is in my hand in the photo.

I loved that I was able to find tops, even while away on vacation....   :)

my condolences, you have opened pandoras box and will now suffer the fait of never being able to stop finding tops and or top related items wherever you go @-@

lol but seriously thats quite a coincidense finding those eh  :o

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 09:18:28 PM »

Good job!  You have given me hope once again for wood shop classes in our area.  I have tried and tried to get them to make tops.  Now I can say "I have heard of this done other places...like in Texas!"
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Myk_Myk

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 10:45:03 PM »

I really love your story! Were the kids able to spin them? Do you know if they played with them much?

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2015, 11:00:36 AM »

I really love your story! Were the kids able to spin them? Do you know if they played with them much?

When I visited my sister-in-law in the classroom, it was after school hours; the kids weren't there.  She says they like to play with them, but I didn't get to see that....