iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Between which fingers do you place the button?

index and middle
- 10 (43.5%)
middle and ring
- 10 (43.5%)
ring and little
- 1 (4.3%)
don't use button
- 2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Poll: where do you place the button?  (Read 9794 times)

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
Re: Poll: where do you place the button?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2015, 11:02:05 AM »

Since I am one Mr Monarc from the past  (there were 5 of us in the beginning) I must chime in.
 The Monarc book shows first and second finger.  Reason--Jim Schreiber taught us to do it that way.  In doing the "Schreiber special the string had to be higher in the hand to catch the point as the top slid off to catch the raised string.  Worked well.  By having the string in the middle position, the point missed the string more often. 
 Hopefully this might help.  I'm not sure that it matters with today's tricks.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2015, 01:32:29 PM »

i just relized after i saw mr watts post that the poll may be innacurate  :o the reason being when i throw small tops i use between middle and ring but when i throw my 4'' watts tops i like to throw with a grip on the cord like if you were climbing a rope, with the button emurging from the bottom of my hand  :o

edit: i just relized that its even worse! when i throw odd sized tops like antique wierdos and gasing and whatnot i sometimes wrap the string around several fingers! sometimes all of them! sometimes one of them! oh god the confusion @-@
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 01:47:31 PM by Jack »

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2015, 08:01:12 PM »

We now know of two (original? weird?) ring-little finger guys: trompillo and PPLGrande.

I suspect that after world's in Japan, you will know many more

at 2:05

at 0:58

perhaps you should watch this whole video just to study up a bit before you go ;D but freeze frame on his hand at about 22:52

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2015, 12:45:37 PM »

i just relized after i saw mr watts post that the poll may be innacurate  :o the reason being when i throw small tops i use between middle and ring but when i throw my 4'' watts tops i like to throw with a grip on the cord like if you were climbing a rope, with the button emurging from the bottom of my hand  :o

edit: i just relized that its even worse! when i throw odd sized tops like antique wierdos and gasing and whatnot i sometimes wrap the string around several fingers! sometimes all of them! sometimes one of them! oh god the confusion @-@
Well, we are referring to standard tops. For example, when throwing Figaro I wrap the rope around the hand. Malaysians throwing big gasings wrap the rope around the wrist.

We now know of two (original? weird?) ring-little finger guys: trompillo and PPLGrande.
I suspect that after world's in Japan, you will know many more

Your memory and attention to detail continues to amaze me, John! I did not recall that.

I did not want to have too many options on the poll, but some people also wrap the string around a finger (in addition to having a button) or go around fingers. I believe Dale is doing that. And you can clearly see on this Taka video (for example at 3:44) that he has the button on the inside of the palm (between middle and ring fingers) and the string goes around the middle to exit between the middle and the index. This is functionally equivalent to middle/index (but more secure):

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2015, 02:44:03 PM »

i enjoyed the beigoma section of that video too much.....i need to lie down @-@

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 12:29:46 PM by ta0 »

Spunion

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2015, 12:56:57 PM »

When Takeshi was first showing me how to throw a top, I feel like he had me put the button between my middle & ring.  In any event, it's really the only way I've thrown one.

I am intrigued with the index/middle though.  It seems like you can have a bit more control over throwing the string.  I have some experimenting to do!  :)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 01:00:10 PM by Spunion »

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2015, 11:22:59 PM »

where is the option: "more than one or all of the above depending on specific situation"

when I reverse throw with my left with a standard size top I think I usually have it between my middle and ring fingers, i don't think it always varies from that when i'm throwing the love, but i know it has at least sometimes (really depends on how tight you're holding it) ... when I throw normal everyday right hand I go index and middle... most of the times that i'm not using a button I put the oversized knot I use between my index and middle... I don't specifically recall ever trying between the ring and pinkie, but I assume that at some point I tried it...

oh and usually when I throw two tops from one hand i have one button between the ring and middle and one between the middle and index... but that's adjustable too, sometimes both are in either of those two, but i think that's more dependent on the specific top being used, two bearing kings don't fit in your hand the same way as two stp2.0  ... crud, now i want to try a double length string and wrap two tops with it and just drape the string over my middle finger... wooo.... i wonder if i have a long enough length of the string Neff gave me for the love to try that...
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2015, 11:15:47 AM »

oh and usually when I throw two tops from one hand . . .

:o  :o
How "usually" do you do that?

You need the spin superpowers T-shirt!  8)

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2015, 03:33:22 PM »

oh and usually when I throw two tops from one hand

pray tell sir.........hows that now? your kung fu is too strong @-@

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 04:03:00 PM »

if I start referring to the gaps in my fingers as west, northwest, northeast, and east is that going to confuse anyone? i'm getting tired of writing out "in between ring and middle" and all the various others... do we have designations for them?  I suppose directional might be confusing with left-throwers or if someone is thinking palm up as opposed to palm down...I want to look up the anatomical terms but then again I seem to recall that with anatomy the top of the foot is the posterior side and that's just weird.

oh and usually when I throw two tops from one hand . . .

:o  :o
How "usually" do you do that?

You need the spin superpowers T-shirt!  8)

oh I didn't mean to imply that it was often, sorry... but when I do I think that's usually how it ends up with one in each nw and ne, but I don't really ever plan it, it's mostly a "see, it's not that difficult" kinda thing... try it, it's not difficult... try it enough times to get both of the tops somewhere close to either spinning on the floor or one spinning in each hand or whatever just do it... its not worthwhile after the throw though... if you get there youll find yourself with two strings to deal with.... so play is unorganized from that point... it's just putting two tops in motion... play would likely be easier to acquire from having a third string stashed somewhere

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 08:19:21 PM »

the double boomerang thread with Lapin's demo link = double boomerang

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2015, 01:47:33 PM »

In honor of this thread, the Hall of Fame is responding with a new display.  I just returned from the Emporium in downtown Miamisburg with a new purchase......a pair of hands!  They were used for the display of rings but I kindly explained that I was not interested in any jewelry, just that pair of paws.  After some thought, the owner said "OK" and the Hall has a new haul.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2015, 02:23:23 PM »

In honor of this thread, the Hall of Fame is responding with a new display.  I just returned from the Emporium in downtown Miamisburg with a new purchase......a pair of hands!  They were used for the display of rings but I kindly explained that I was not interested in any jewelry, just that pair of paws.  After some thought, the owner said "OK" and the Hall has a new haul.

ur a smart and clever cookie!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2015, 03:26:03 PM »

Mike, your brain works in unusual ways.  ;) The Hall of Fame should be listed in a list of (very) unusual museums of USA (I haven't looked, but I am sure there is one).

After a strong start of the Index/Middle finger option, the Middle/Ring finger almost caught up on the poll.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2016, 01:05:20 PM »

A recent USA Today newspaper puzzle caught my eye because of a familiar phrase used around these parts.  The puzzle is called Up and Down Words and one answer connects to the next.

1997 Ben Affleck movie (Chasing Amy)
_____ _____ in "The Butterfly Effect) (Amy Smart)
Intelligent person (Smart Cookie)
Baker's tool (Cookie Press)
Start a video (Press Go)
_____ _____ keeps (Go For)
As an illustration (For Example)

Ha ha!!! Smart cookie.  What do you think, Jack???