iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: About popularity of tops vs yo-yos  (Read 2451 times)

studio42

• Studio42 - Professional Audio Services
About popularity of tops vs yo-yos
« on: December 17, 2014, 05:06:26 PM »

[Admin note: I split this from the Tokyo 2015 thread]

As far as should we have the 2015 top contest in Tokyo, without a doubt. The only way to build the top event to sustainable levels is to have the help of the yo-yo community.
We should have some sort of combined/separate division for the traditional Koma players just as we had for the Columbian players. I have seen some Koma performances and they are quite good.

I wonder how many yoyo players also play with spin tops? I started with yoyo and it's still my primary. I'm enjoy spintops a lot, but I have no desire to compete in either. I think the best way to build support is just to do what we can do to increase awareness of this skill toy. I find that nearly nobody around where I live knows what a spintop is. Many aren't even aware what a yoyo is.

The skill toy group I run welcomes all skill toys. It is mainly yoyo and kendama though.

The current tradition is the World Spintop contest is piggy-backed to the World Yoyo Contest. It might as well stay that way for a while. I think the yoyo community has ended up with good synergy with the kendama community. I think it has no problem supporting spintops as well.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 11:05:12 AM by ta0 »
Chris Pickett, owner of Studio42 - Live Sound Production
http://www.studio42.com - Official Sound Production for CalStates  & BAC 2012-2017 and BEYOND!
Sound Provider for US National YoYoContest 2016
Cell/Text: 916-601-7089

studio42

Re: About popularity of tops vs yo-yos
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:41:33 PM »

I think the audience isn't growing much because there's been too much time that has passed when there has been any serious marketing/promotion on a big scale, and we're dealing with a generation that doesn't know about this. However, I do know from first-hand conversations with people from Latin America countries, most of them know of tops, and many have played with them on some level. I think a lot of these players simply cannot afford to travel to the contests.

I'm just over 40. I really had no prior knowledge of spintops until I got into yoyo at age 39. I see the spintops for sale in a pair of shops I go to yoyo meets at, the tops collect dust because nobody does anything with them, nobody buys them, except apparently myself and another member on this forum. Plus, this toy is a bit harder to play and enjoy compared to yoyo, at least from the initial starting up. I forget what I saw that got me interested in spintops, but within 6 months of being in yoyo, I had a Duncan Bearing King, which wasn't really of much use to me. A little over a year after getting into yoyo(May 2012), I had a Sophia, which sat largely unused until 2 moths ago. Honestly, if it wasn't for Andre Boulay demonstrating spintops right in front of my face at BAC 2014, I am not quite sure I would have decided to really give tops a serious try. I think I'm just an example of how there's just a lot of population that isn't aware of this stuff.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 08:21:45 PM »

we're dealing with a generation that doesn't know about this. However, I do know from first-hand conversations with people from Latin America countries, most of them know of tops, and many have played with them on some level.
I think that this is an interesting issue because knowing about tops seems to be a very chance affair and very regional. Many folks that are near my Dad's age talk about tops being a major pass time for kids. My Dad however grew up in the North Hills of Pittsburgh Penna and was total unfamiliar with tops until I started throwing in my 50's.

Also Tops are VERY demonstration oriented.  When you see first hand what can be done, and get just a bit of coaching it is quite different than seeing a top in a store.

studio42

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 12:01:10 AM »

Also Tops are VERY demonstration oriented.  When you see first hand what can be done, and get just a bit of coaching it is quite different than seeing a top in a store.

I think most skill toys are demonstration oriented. Some things, like juggling and diabolo, are often highlighted in ways that bring a lot of attention to it, in addition to these items being able to attract a lot of of attention. Juggling often goes along with magic stuff, and magic/illusion has a very large viewing audience. Diabolo is a lot more circus-oritented. Then again, so is juggling, but it's sort of a secondary feature. I am finding both diabolo and juggling can be learned on one's own without needing much help. At least, that's how it is for me, as I'm trying to learn both. Juggling is giving me some grief but I'll eventually get a 3-ball cascade to be an easy thing to do.

Yoyo has the advantage of being able to visually take up large amounts of space thanks to the string and the swing, but it condenses down quickly and often stays that way quite a bit of the time. I do agree with the spintops really needing coaching. It's a lot of fun and once you get over certain milestones(scoop to handspin, them boomerang to handspin), you have time to set things up, making it a bit more relaxing. But as far as being a big-stage feature, tops kinda fall flat unless you're into skill toys and/or tops specifically.

Right now, I'm noticing a trend that we've all seen with skill toys: get in, but then bail when some challenge arises and prevents forward progress. At my kids' school, they do these NED shows, and within a week, I see the yoyo population grow, but then dwindle down to near zero even before the 2-week fundraiser yoyo sales end. I know some break. Kendama rose, now is falling, with only the "hardcore" staying on. My kids are trying skill toys, but one they hit a barrier, I can't motivate them to keep at it. With that in mind, it's just hard to get people to stick with skill toys. I will say tops has been one of the more difficult ones I've tried to get into. I will say it's taken me less time to boomerang than it has to really get anywhere with juggling though.

If Spintop Worlds is going to really take off, it needs to orient itself where the spintop players are. Worlds for yoyo isn't doing that. I'm confident the interest is there, just the contests aren't going to where the players are, or can afford to travel to it.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 12:43:09 AM »