iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: grading system?  (Read 3769 times)

Jack

• Demigod member
grading system?
« on: November 09, 2014, 06:18:43 AM »

i was just looking at some kendama stuff when i came across reference to the fact that the japan kendama association has a player grading system. so my question is: should our top association have such a player grading system? or is our current patch system exactly the same thing?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: grading system?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2014, 10:48:02 AM »

I guess the Spintastics patches are a kind of grading system as they show increasing levels of mastery. But the rest of the patches we are creating are definitely not. They are just ways of motivating each other and they do not have any difficulty logic, nor are most of the tricks "must-learn".

I guess the sports ladder tricks list is the closest we have to what you mention. I don't think creating a grading system would be a priority for the association.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:18:55 PM by ta0 »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2014, 01:27:25 PM »

I don't think creating a grading system would be a priority for the association.

i trust your wisdom sir  ;)

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 11:42:09 AM »

I think it's all about how you want to participate in your sport. Kendama culture in Japan is very regimented, as is the youth unicycle culture here. All everyone talks about and unicycle meets is level testing, and the most common conversation starter is "What level are you?" For me that was not an interesting topic. I'm not excited about that much regimentation. I personally love the patch system that we have where you can chose to pursue them if that's what you like, or you can just watch videos and learn a few tricks. Or really... you can just hang out and love tops. We certainly have plenty of top people who just do that.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 12:14:28 PM »

I think it's all about how you want to participate in your sport. Kendama culture in Japan is very regimented, as is the youth unicycle culture here. All everyone talks about and unicycle meets is level testing, and the most common conversation starter is "What level are you?" For me that was not an interesting topic. I'm not excited about that much regimentation. I personally love the patch system that we have where you can chose to pursue them if that's what you like, or you can just watch videos and learn a few tricks. Or really... you can just hang out and love tops. We certainly have plenty of top people who can only do that.

Fixed it for you.  I wanted to feel included.... ;D

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 12:27:18 PM »

Although, there are a select few who can do more than just hang out, but don't.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 04:16:37 PM »

I think it's all about how you want to participate in your sport. Kendama culture in Japan is very regimented, as is the youth unicycle culture here. All everyone talks about and unicycle meets is level testing, and the most common conversation starter is "What level are you?" For me that was not an interesting topic. I'm not excited about that much regimentation. I personally love the patch system that we have where you can chose to pursue them if that's what you like, or you can just watch videos and learn a few tricks. Or really... you can just hang out and love tops. We certainly have plenty of top people who just do that.

wisdom. now whats this about regimented youth unicycle culture? @-@

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 05:36:14 PM »

It's a real, although small, thing.
http://www.tcuc.org/