iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: top turner corner../:::::  (Read 11103 times)

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: top turner corner../:::::
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 04:38:37 PM »

Mike thanks for re-visiting Erics page for us.  I'm glad your turning is progressing so well. 

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 04:52:36 PM »

Yes, thanks Mike!  I never came across that page previously.
Your enthusiasm and success, has me reconsidering getting a lathe.
Keep your progress reports coming.  :)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 05:18:29 PM »

Thank you lincolnrick and Larry D. for your comments.  I am still beaming from my morning success.  Several times today I have picked up my pine peg top (it is pretty light but fun) and my cherry peg top (it is too narrow but fun) and thrown them to watch how they whirl and to check their spinning time.  I feel like a young spinner again who is enjoying the simple thrill of spin.  I am thankful for this lathe that brought me back to this place.

I think I can make a variety of different peg tops and let kids try them out before our festival.  It would be good practice for me and it would help promote our event.

Larry D........you would enjoy a lathe.  It seems like a great activity for us "young folks".  It has been a good journey.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2015, 09:39:55 PM »

In my search for more information I ran across a couple of old threads that are helpful.  I will link them here so it is easier to research:

FYI: here is the follow up to this thread - top turner corner part 2:
http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,374.msg3001.html#msg3001

Here is some great information from when Chris Neff started turning:
http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,351.msg2765.html#msg2765

Here is when Jeremy K was turning a large top:
http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,1678.msg17056.html#msg17056

Some good tips from johnm about tips in this thread:
http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,2816.msg29064.html#msg29064

This is beyond me but it is good information about hollow turning:
http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,1154.msg11473.html#msg11473

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 10:34:21 AM »

Earl:
Thanks for posting those links.
I don't have a lathe, but will sure have one some day. I need to save a little and figure out a place to set up shop, but it sure is interesting to begin learning about the subject.
I know there are a lot of youtube pages regarding woodturning, but I really enjoy the page by Miguel Sanchez https://m.youtube.com/user/Drizztss
It is in spanish, but I know you understand and speak some, plus most of it cam be figured out by watching. What I like is that he has many videos of basic techniques and good videos for building cheap home made tools for different wood turning purposes, like sharpening, wood press, chucks, etc..
Enjoy,
Juan
(Just realized I passed my 100th post  8) )

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2015, 09:12:14 PM »

Mike, there are many,many woodturning videos on youtube.capital area woodturners is the club I go to and they do good work. Several guys have done videos of twist tops. The ones I enjoy most and find useful are capt eddie castelin he is a teacher and teaches some things that make it easier to turn and the things be builds are cheap.
Practice hard and play safe.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 04:03:20 AM »

Well, I pulled the trigger on a "real" tool to sharpen my chisels.  Interestingly enough, I had two funerals in the last week of men who were woodworkers.  In their honor, I used some of that money to get the grinder.  Wow, that is really going to make a difference.

I now have a series of small peg tops made of different types of wood.  My plan is to line them up and keep checking them out so I can better recognize differences.  It has been fun to experiment with other kinds and I hope to soon try a few exotic woods (Eric is my hero).

While at Menards I picked up a cheap set of shelves and it has been fun to set my wood and tops out for display.  The Hall of Fame winter grounds is picking up steam!!!

ps.....there is a sale right now on Menard's round snow sleds for $2.99.   

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 07:15:13 PM »

Well, I pulled the trigger on a "real" tool to sharpen my chisels.  Interestingly enough, I had two funerals in the last week of men who were woodworkers.  In their honor, I used some of that money to get the grinder.  Wow, that is really going to make a difference.

I now have a series of small peg tops made of different types of wood.  My plan is to line them up and keep checking them out so I can better recognize differences.  It has been fun to experiment with other kinds and I hope to soon try a few exotic woods (Eric is my hero).

While at Menards I picked up a cheap set of shelves and it has been fun to set my wood and tops out for display.  The Hall of Fame winter grounds is picking up steam!!!

ps.....there is a sale right now on Menard's round snow sleds for $2.99.

an excelent tribute, and congrats on the new grinder  ;) i personally have never liked the idea of using a grinder for sharpening anything really, just too easy to take the temper out and im not about to risk that on henry taylors @-@. ive always used water stones to sharpen my chisels and found that works well. well have fun with the grinder and play safe with your friction and heat distribution!!!!!!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 09:53:28 PM »

I had to look up what Henry Taylor's are.  Wow, they are nice tools for the lathe!  I had no idea you were into turning that much.  (by the way......most of the tools I use have no name on them!!!) 

I am so happy with the inexpensive shelves from Menards ($14) that I bought several more sets for the basement and the hall of fame.  It is so nice to be able to spread out some more with my top work.

I will try my best to be safe with my friction and heat distribution.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 10:06:35 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2015, 12:29:19 AM »

I had to look up what Henry Taylor's are.  Wow, they are nice tools for the lathe!  I had no idea you were into turning that much.  (by the way......most of the tools I use have no name on them!!!) 

I am so happy with the inexpensive shelves from Menards ($14) that I bought several more sets for the basement and the hall of fame.  It is so nice to be able to spread out some more with my top work.

I will try my best to be safe with my friction and heat distribution.

ya lol im not even, the lathe i have is a 100$ affair from canadian tire, tail stock isnt aligned right and theres no way to adjust it lol  ;D the tools put a real dent in the pocket book but at least i cant blame my tools for bad results right lol? godspeed with your shelving adventures sir!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2015, 01:56:12 PM »

(by the way......most of the tools I use have no name on them!!!) 

ive actually come to the conclusion the only difference between an expensive chisel and a cheaper one is the frequency with which one has to shapen and doesnt have a bearing on quality of work