iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Bearing Point Tip  (Read 20037 times)

Spintowin

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Bearing Point Tip
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 11:00:23 PM »

Wow, this looks so cool, pretty amazing idea! I would like to purchase one too, this tip is the right one for Stairace to Heaven and it would make many wraps a lot easier (and what about double and triple StH). Totally want to purchase and post some feedback about the tip!
Sounds good. I will put you on the list.

Thanks, Mike

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2014, 02:22:51 PM »

I have had a prototype for the last two days to play.
First I want to say that this is a high quality, precision part, well deserving to go into an S8 top.

Compared to an S8 tip it has a bigger groove which I prefer.

The fit into the Giulia and STB 2.0 was perfect. Here it is besides a S8 owb tip:

As the two bearings are inside the tip, you just press the assembly into the top and put the washer and nut. The nut tended to loosen up after some play, so I would recommend adding a spring washer.

As a fixed tip it plays as good or better as the original S8 tip. I am sure the Czech group is going to break some Staircase to Heaven records with it. I also tried long-setup wire walkers like Formula 1 and Crossover and it did help quite a bit. It was also useful for consecutive Walk the Plank and for doing wire walkers after regeneration runs. In fact, I had some success doing Staircase to Heaven after a snap start (but Daniel did it in the middle of run with a standard fixed tip at the Euro Contest!  ::) ) These are tricks that cannot be done with a owb (contrary to Roller Coaster to hand).

When I received it, the point spun very smooth. Alas, after playing for a while over commercial carpet at the office, it became noticeable noisier and rough. In fact, on the hand the STB2.0 spun as long with the bearing-point tip than with a standard fixed tip (on the carpet it still out-spun the fixed tip considerably). I disassembled it but could not tell which bearing was bad. I then re-assembled it swapping the position of the two bearings and, voila!, it was spinning great again. I measured 145 seconds compared to 60 seconds on the hand with an STB 2.0.  But I am a little concerned that the small bearings may get damaged easily.

This tip should be able to do any trick that a fixed tip can do and extend what is possible. The only exception I can think of is a true arm walker, where you use the friction of the tip to walk the top. The only other very minor drawbacks would be that it does not automatically stand up when spinning on the ground and that the bearing noise may make some spectator say that the tip is tricked.

I want to have two of these tips (for two-top tricks) in my spinning toolbox! Great job Spintowin!

Spintowin

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2014, 12:19:27 AM »

Thanks for the review Ta0.  I will see what I can come up with for a spring/lock washer to keep the 8mm nut from loosing up.  I am still evaluating bearing options.  There are sealed options to keep debris out, but I am concerned it will increase the resistance. I also will review the clearance between the point (head) and the chin incase debris is collecting there.

As you mention, I also see very few downsides vs. a fixed tip. I have really enjoyed playing with tip and look forward to getting more out there for others to try.

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2014, 10:08:07 AM »

Put me on the list! 8)

Spintowin

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 11:02:53 PM »

Sorry for the delay in providing an update.  It took a little time to find a cost effective way to get a small run of tips made, but I think am ready to proceed.  I will be able to offer the first 10 tips at $45 plus shipping to give those who have shown interest a chance to try it out. beyond that I think I will need to charge $50 each going forward.  I have been able to source a high precision ABEC-5 stainless bearing set that will be included.  These are much more smooth and quiet than the set I supplied to ta0 (I will send him a set). I think everyone will be pleased with them.  If you responded but changed your mind, no worries just let me know.  Otherwise I will go with the list I have.

I am hoping to get the tips completed and ready to ship in about three weeks.  Thanks to everyone for your patience.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2014, 11:36:57 AM »

Great news! Thanks for taking on this challenging project. I look forward to having a pair of these.  :)

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2014, 03:24:48 PM »

If this goes well, perhaps there might be custom upgraded tips in the future for our Top Dogs, and Trompo G's and and HollowPoints, oh my!

I'm in....
Erratic Wobbler

Sabaspin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2014, 03:48:41 PM »

Still in!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2014, 04:39:13 PM »

I'm still in.  How will we be contacted?  PM on this board?  General announcement?

Spintowin

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2014, 10:57:20 PM »

I will send a general announcement when they are done.  I will also PM everyone for payment and shipping information.

Spintowin

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2014, 12:01:16 PM »

If this goes well, perhaps there might be custom upgraded tips in the future for our Top Dogs, and Trompo G's and and HollowPoints, oh my!

I'm in....

I have been looking at the YYJ tops, not an easy task without modifying the top body.  I think modifying the body must be avoided.  Maurizio shared some concepts a few years ago.

http://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,618.msg5176.html#msg5176

I think a press in solution like the original tip may be best.  I need to think on it awhile.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2014, 04:08:12 PM »

If you'd like to have a YYJ tip for some destructive sampling, I have a broken one to send...and so does everyone else who has ever owned one of these tops :)

I think something that fits the YYJ body, but not necessarily resembles a YYJ tip in shape or design would be just fine if not better...

My .02

Hrosik

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
  • Daniel Konecny
    • Spintop.cz
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2014, 03:55:50 PM »

I'm still in too :)

Spintowin

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2014, 12:01:31 AM »

I received the tips today.  The machinist did a nice job and polished them to a mirror finish.  I don't think it will effect play, but they are a thing of beauty.  I will get them all assembled in the next couple of days and start sending them out next week.  I will PM everyone for payment and shipping details.

I had a few made without the area on the outer shaft that fills the area in the S8 top where the lower bearing mounts. This will allow you to just bore a simple 8mm (5/16") hole for use in a homemade wood top.  You can see the left one in the attached picture.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2014, 01:00:36 AM »

I received the tips today.  The machinist did a nice job and polished them to a mirror finish.  I don't think it will effect play, but they are a thing of beauty.  I will get them all assembled in the next couple of days and start sending them out next week.  I will PM everyone for payment and shipping details.

I had a few made without the area on the outer shaft that fills the area in the S8 top where the lower bearing mounts. This will allow you to just bore a simple 8mm (5/16") hole for use in a homemade wood top.  You can see the left one in the attached picture.

this cat symbolizes the awe im feeling at the beauty of that tip u have there

« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 10:56:49 AM by ta0 »