iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Top Inducted to Hall of Fame  (Read 22375 times)

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
2022 Strong Nat’l Museum - vote for spin top!
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2022, 06:19:54 PM »

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
Re: 2022 Strong Nat’l Museum - vote for spin top!
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2022, 07:15:30 PM »

The spin top should definitely be in the hall of fame! I’m shocked it isn’t already!  :P

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2022, 01:25:21 PM »

Vote cast for the top. Most of the other finalists are totally lame by comparison. I mean, it's competing with action figures? Really?
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2022, 01:39:38 PM »

Vote cast for the top. Most of the other finalists are totally lame by comparison. I mean, it's competing with action figures? Really?
Unfortunately, tops have little chance in general voting against He-Man (Masters of the Universe). I don't think they will beat either Nerf Toys, Piñata or the Spirograph. But it's a shame that they haven't yet been selected by the National Selection Advisory Committee (they select half of the inductees). Spinning tops should have been inducted to start the Hall of Fame, with the doll and the ball, before voting for all the modern branded toys.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 01:45:02 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2022, 02:07:47 PM »

There are so many people who have great memories of spinning things in their childhood…..not just in the U.S. but also around the world!!!  The humble spin top has meant so much to so many through the years.  I am like so many others on this board.  We are stunned that the spin top is not in the hall of fame.  Thanks for letting us know about this butterfingers.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 05:02:00 PM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2022, 07:12:41 PM »

Ha!  They are talking about the national toy hall of fame.  Did I hear a jab at the top?  Block of wood!!!  But then some of the others said the top should already be in there.  Now that’s some positive talk!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2022, 10:52:00 PM »

"Top? Why not block of wood?"
"Ha, ha"
"And by the way, Top, why aren't you already in the Hall of Fame?"
"Top should be in!"
"It has been around since the stone age, actually"
"Should have been in the first ballot!"

Wow! Those are strong endorsements. It's a glaring omission not just for spintop heads like us. The National Selection Advisory Committee should be ashamed. Perhaps this is the year!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #67 on: September 21, 2022, 03:24:40 PM »

I called Don Olney to alert him to this.  He followed up closely one other time when it seemed we were in the running.  That year they even showed a spinning peg top as a teaser to stay tuned for the results the next day!!!

“Top?  Why not a block of wood?”  I think that phrase should be in the hall of fame!!!

paulstewart

• ITSA Jr.
Top inducted inToy Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2022, 11:55:32 AM »

Top has been voted Toy of the year to be inducted into the Toy Hall of Fame at the Strong Museum in Rochester New York.  The much anticipated announcement was made today and I'm really looking forward to attending the ceremony.  Sorry I cannot find the date but will post that soon.  I plan to bring some of the Big Tops and show off the Big Tops in action. 

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
Re: Top inducted inToy Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2022, 12:22:34 PM »

Yea!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Top Inducted to Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2022, 12:40:44 PM »

FINALLY!

Here is the official announcement: https://www.museumofplay.org/press-release/national-toy-hall-of-fame-inductees-for-2022-announced/

Says Chief Curator Christopher Bensch, “The top is one of the oldest toys and an integral part of many cultures, where it developed independently as a plaything. With more than 5,000 years of history behind it, it’s about time that the top spun its way into the National Toy Hall of Fame!"

The other 2 inductees were Masters of the Universe (created in 1983) and  Lite-Brite (1966). So a little less history behind them . . .
The official photo has a plunge top. I'm very glad that they used one without a foot, so at least it's a real top that falls when it doesn't spin.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 12:46:52 PM by ta0 »

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2022, 02:10:23 PM »

On that site it says:
"About Top: Since ancient times, the spinning top has been a childhood staple of cultures in Asia, Europe, the Americas, and Australia. The toy form has entertained adults, too. (Ancient Greek pottery shows women playing with tops more than 2,000 years ago!)"

Did they just forget to mention Africa, or was the top really not present  or is it not documented in ancient African cultures?

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2022, 02:36:03 PM »

It’s about time! The top should have been one of the first toys inducted!  8)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2022, 03:00:15 PM »

Did they just forget to mention Africa, or was the top really not present  or is it not documented in ancient African cultures?
Yes, they forgot Africa. What is funny as it actually has the most ancient documented tops (from Egypt).

PS: Considering the size of He-Man biceps, I wonder if he could curl his arm enough to reach and caress his own blonde hair  >:D Talk about body image and kids . . .  ::)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2022, 04:37:02 PM »

The much anticipated announcement was made today and I'm really looking forward to attending the ceremony.  Sorry I cannot find the date but will post that soon.  I plan to bring some of the Big Tops and show off the Big Tops in action. 
That is wonderful!
I hope Don Olney who is from Rochester can also attend. Indeed, he should be a guess of honor!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »   Go Up