iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Giant Top 2014 Full Test  (Read 37152 times)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Giant Top 2014 Full Test
« Reply #120 on: December 01, 2014, 01:21:11 AM »

Split shaft collars have amazing holding strength. (much stronger than set screw type) Perhaps you could have one made to the correct diameters, or perhaps you local bearing shop will have one with the right inside diameter and you could weld a steel plate to make the correct outside diameter.
The hope is that you could grind/saw/hack the old one out and then bolt the new one in place.

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: December 01, 2014, 04:53:59 AM »

Split shaft collars have amazing holding strength. (much stronger than set screw type) Perhaps you could have one made to the correct diameters, or perhaps you local bearing shop will have one with the right inside diameter and you could weld a steel plate to make the correct outside diameter.
The hope is that you could grind/saw/hack the old one out and then bolt the new one in place.

That is exactly the type of design I had in mind.  Didn't know they existed, especially ready made.  I think such a collar could be inserted without removing existing plates.

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2014, 03:37:19 AM »

Here is today's test with extra weight.  Have a more complete video of both tests today coming up next.

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2014, 05:40:58 AM »

As Promised--

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2014, 02:02:13 PM »

That went very well! Nice and smooth and probably faster.

I hesitate to calculate a rotation rate because there is a frame skipping problem on the video, probably due to the editing of both videos together. Could you re-post the video of just the top again (preferably the raw video)?

Anyway, that top is spinning great. Congrats!

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #125 on: December 04, 2014, 07:56:00 PM »

Thanks.  As shown on one video, a piece of the top layer of plywood on one side of the spool did come loose. Not big but a sign the plywood will not hold up over time.  I am thinking also that the blue rope we are using is not as thick as the original climbing rope we planned.  I think the rope is layering on itself during the pull.  So am thinking to redo a core like Kirk's split-shaft collar attached to two metal plates.  It should fit into the current spool slot and be the right diameter for the blue rope. 

Working on uploading the raw video segment of the spin, I think it's sideways!  Don't get dizzy!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #126 on: December 04, 2014, 08:29:25 PM »

As Promised--

i have a question: why does the rail car seem to learch? is that the video or is it part of the mechanics?

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: December 04, 2014, 08:31:41 PM »

I think the hesitations are because of the layering of the rope on top of itself, compressing and uncompressing.

Here is raw video link:

Ooops, not the one I was thinking of.  Will try again. The original was sideways.  Will see if I still have it. 

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: December 04, 2014, 09:27:27 PM »

Nope, I did load the sideways one, youtube just won't play it sideways!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #129 on: December 04, 2014, 10:42:58 PM »

Thanks for re-uploading the video. This time the timing had no problems.
Unfortunately, you are still stuck at about the same peak rotational speed: 182 RPM.
The hesitations in the cart show that it could be a little smoother. Also there is some energy left on the cart when it gets down. I still think you could break 200 RPM of peak rotational speed if you had everything perfect. But I am not sure how useful that would be because the rotational rate decreases quite fast:

@ to (30s)  => 182 RPM
@ to + 26s => 150 RPM
@ to + 95s => 100 RPM

Air drag is your limiting factor.

Watching all the crew pulling the rope to raise the cart I could not help thinking on the ancient Egyptian building a pyramid.

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2014, 02:38:42 AM »

ANNOUNCING END OF TESTING FOR 2014

Posting some pics of the deterioration in the plywood spool for the pulling rope.  Bolts have started falling out!  Well, it was left out in the weather for two years before we could put a roof on it and start testing again.  We will be removing the lower cone and rehabilitating upper part of spool. Will have a new metal spool with split shaft collar attachment machined and installed.  Then will rebuild lower cone portion.  When all finished will start testing in the new year.  Happy New Year!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 02:49:25 AM by JMauk »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #131 on: December 05, 2014, 10:56:51 AM »

A brand new spool is a good idea. It is the most critical piece of the top.

As I see it, there are 3 main factors that you can work on that will determine your maximum rotation rate:

1. Weight on the cart = total energy available
2. Mechanical losses due to friction along the rope path, possible pulleys misalignment, etc.
3. Minimum diameter of the spool core = final gear ratio

In principle you want the smallest spool core diameter possible. Perhaps you need a longer belt pigtail at the end of the rope.
The maximum diameter of spool is not critical, but will be a factor in how smooth is the acceleration, what is important as any jolt will decrease the efficiency.

Happy new year to you: 2015 is the year of the big record!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #132 on: December 05, 2014, 11:03:17 AM »

Your progress this year was amazing and I predict 2015 will be the year of the Giant Top!!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #133 on: December 05, 2014, 12:33:17 PM »

I predict 2015 will be the year of the Giant Top!!

screw this year as the year of the sheep! we shall declare it so! the year of the largest top to ever spin here here!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up