iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: RIT Spring Juggle In Festival April 11-13  (Read 15719 times)

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
Re: RIT Spring Juggle In Festival April 11-13
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 07:46:28 PM »

Here’s a photo of Mark in action with Fiery:

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 08:37:47 PM »

Fantastic photos guys!  Super group of spinners!

OK I'll bite, what is Jim Neff carrying? ???

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 09:38:20 PM »

Thanks for all the great pictures and reports from RIT.  Wish I could have been there.  Maybe another year?

The connection piece that Jim is carrying looks something like what is on one of those kite tails that attach to diabolos.  But I am confused about the rectangular item?!?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2014, 09:45:47 PM »

OK I'll bite, what is Jim Neff carrying? ???

Here goes....
Rolling pin, grater suspended below, spoons suspended from the grater, land a boomerang of a sizeable top, place the spinning top on the upper handle of the rolling pin and everything begins to rotate and clang.  It was so cool!  :) :D ;D 8) 8) 8)

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2014, 11:35:05 PM »

One of the most involved spin top props I've ever seen. It was hilariously stupid. I love it.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2014, 12:50:28 AM »

Jeff Peden presented Jim as the only juggler he knew who carried more props than he did.  Here are some:

He left in his car Cyclone (apparently repaired) and one of those contraptions to spin 8 kongzhus simultaneously.

He taught me the correct wrap for the kongzhu and how he wraps beigomas with the square wrap instead of the more common 2-knot wrap.

Here is a video of him playing with his toys:

Meeting him was one of the highlights of this trip.

PS: Jim is not a member but reads this board  ;)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2020, 02:52:33 PM by ta0 »

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 06:48:15 AM »

Wow!  Jim is wildly clever and super talented.  That bag of toys is awesome and makes me wonder what else he decided not to bring. :o

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2014, 10:57:51 AM »

He left in his car Cyclone (apparently repaired) and one of those contraptions to spin 8 konghzus simultaneously.

That news about the Cyclone was the best news I've read in a long time!!!!  I hope it spins as well as it used to.
Jim is indeed an inspired and talented top spinnin' man.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2014, 01:03:11 PM »

That news about the Cyclone was the best news I've read in a long time!!!!  I hope it spins as well as it used to.

The bad news is that Decapitop got a hairline crack and very likely it was my fault!  :-[  The prototype Decapitop is made of a plaster/epoxy composite (using a 3D printing process) and I believe Mark will now retire it while it is in one piece  :'(  Here is a photo of the inside.  It did require some balancing putty.  The screws are there because the rubber band was not strong enough to hold it together. 

But Mark is a forgiving man and let me throw and spin the beer bottle. I had heard about the Jon Gate's beer-bottle spintop legend for ever, so it was great to try it.

Larry brought a real treasure trove of spinning bliss from Cincy. I cannot stress enough how good are the tops made by John M. The 7" Fiery is the perfect very large top. The normal size and smaller size hybrid tops (aluminum body and plastic cap) play as well as any fixed-tip top their size.  The gasing requires some practice to throw, but I can visualize great battles using tops like that.  The best part is that John has made molds for all of these  :D (of course, they still require quite a bit of work finishing them). 

For a while my camera mode selector was on manual mode (which I had used last at very high speed), so I lost a bunch of photos that are too dark.  For example, I should have had good photos of Don's cart, who he brought to the gym. By the way, I got to try his homemade flat/thin-stem large koma and succeeded for the first time doing the finger-rolling start.

This time I have the Figaro induction photos:

Larry

Don

Jason (redone the one lost from worlds)

Brad

Jim

I will later make a separate post about the visit to Don's lair (plenty of photos of that one  ;D )

« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 06:11:37 PM by ta0 »

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 02:01:44 PM »

Happy to see all the new inductees to the Figaro Hall of Fame!  Especially nice to see Brad doing so well.  Pass the Props has been very good to the juggling community, traveling to all the festivals, big and small, in order to offer all jugglers access to quality props and tops.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 04:17:34 PM »

I forgot Jeff Peden, who told us that if he was not running the event he would be throwing tops with us all the time:

His son is a professional juggler living in Sweden and his performance with another juggler got a standing ovation at the public show.  They do Scandinavian-style juggling and I guess they are disciples of Jay Gilligan who also performed and on Sunday gave his Evolution of Juggling TED talk.

We had several beginner top throwers and Larry and Jason did a good job teaching them.  In particular, a women from Toronto was there the 3 days and ended up buying several tops, including a Quicksilver Hybrid from the YoyoSam table.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 04:20:35 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 10:20:45 PM »

I guess I do not totally understand about "leaving in his car Cyclone".  Is Cyclone the name he gave his car or does he have a car that is a Cyclone?  I see where Mercury made a Cyclone car from 1964-1971.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 10:25:25 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 11:46:15 PM »

In case we haven't had enough of Jim Neff yet:

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2014, 10:54:55 AM »

I guess I do not totally understand about "leaving in his car Cyclone".  Is Cyclone the name he gave his car or does he have a car that is a Cyclone?  I see where Mercury made a Cyclone car from 1964-1971.

Cyclone was the name of Jim's big top (an Alan Gray top).  I had met Jim in Rochester MN at the IJA fest. Here's a pic of the before and after I got a hold of it.  It has since been repaired, thankfully.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 10:57:25 AM by lincolnrick »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2014, 08:48:33 PM »

ta0's 'morning show' performance is there

ta0’s morning show performance was totally impromptu. 
Just after we arrived at the gym that morning Jeff came over to chat with us.  Jeff asked ta0 if he would possibly do a couple of minutes of top spinning in the morning show.  ta0 took center stage without the benefit of warm-up or preparation and did a bang-up job!  It was wonderful of ta0 to agree to do it, and a real treat for me to be there and see him captivate the audience in person.  :)

When I finished the demo for the kids I was not very happy with it, I thought I had missed a lot and not shown much. So I was kind of glad that the upload to youtube was corrupted. :P But they sent me a high-definition recording and after watching it I think I should share it in-house ;)  Things I should remember not to do next time is throwing tops with iffy wraps, try to continue playing with a bearing top with little spin left, etc.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:08:03 PM by ta0 »