iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Speed of Spin  (Read 3103 times)

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
Speed of Spin
« on: May 23, 2013, 04:34:58 PM »

I recall seeing the old adds for Irving's Wizard and thinking "10,000 RPM! What a bogus claim!"
We just got a new digital laser tachometer at work today. (about $30 on Amazon)  It was essential that we test the new instrument. A very casual boomerang on a Spintastics Gladiator showed 6420 RPM.
Perhaps Irving was not so full of hot air as I thought.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Speed of Spin
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 05:37:57 PM »

The Duncan Wiz-z-zers also claimed 10,000 RPM. 

At one time I did quite a few measurements.

Those were hard throws.

The way I got the data for those graphs was by filming the display of the laser tachometer with a camera so later I could go back and read the values against the video frame time.  Still, it is a lot of work.

Although it would be difficult to measure the spin right after the boomerang, it is easy to extrapolate from the graphs to get the launch velocity at zero time (in a logarithmic graph they are straight lines). 
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:53:39 PM by ta0 »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 07:26:41 PM »

The tiny piece of reflective tape that I had to put on the top really made it shake. I wonder about any related speed change that is caused.

jochs12

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 11:22:58 PM »

Another piece of tape (non-reflective) could be placed on the opposite side of the top, (or at least something that is close to the same weight) to help balance it out. I am not sure if the Gladiator opens up but you could even balance it with small amounts of sticky tack logistically placed inside.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 05:46:49 PM by jochs12 »
Enjoy taking my tops for a spin

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2013, 09:17:42 AM »

I would have to check my data, but I believe I used the double tape at least sometimes (then you have to divide the readings by two.)  And I did see a slight effect of what appeared to be air drag caused by the thickness of tape on the rim!

Interestingly, if you measure the decay time constant (the slope when you plot it in a logarithmic scale) you get a value that depends on the top and not on the strength of the throw, so tops can be compared even if tested by different people.

jochs12

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 07:00:57 PM »

That is interesting that you can plot a tops "profile" independent of the thrower.

So here is another thought, you could use a metallic ink pen on a strip of tape at the widest part of the top.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »

Interestingly, if you measure the decay time constant (the slope when you plot it in a logarithmic scale) you get a value that depends on the top and not on the strength of the throw, so tops can be compared even if tested by different people.
I find it notable that the Gates started slower than the BK. I guess that you threw them equally hard.
I suppose that the real comparison is how long after the throw is the top going to slow for tricks.  I further guess that said speed depends on top geometry (axial moment of inertia, crosswise moment of inertia, position of center of gravity, mass) and would still be rather subjective.
I think it would be cool to see comparisons between more similar tops. like a stock BK and a Neff modified BK.

I thought about using black tape for balance during tests.