iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Guinness 2013 record book  (Read 8039 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Guinness 2013 record book
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 09:39:39 PM »

Wow! That is three times the record!!!  I am really impressed!
I would have trouble unicycling 1km even without the juggling.

Now you need to contact Guinness and make if official.

Sam

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 12:59:03 PM »

Wow, that is impressive. I've never tried a unicycle before and I'm not good at juggling so your record is safe from me.  ;D

Great stuff. Did anyone video it for you? I'd like to see a clip or two if they did.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 03:19:57 PM »

Way to go Mike!!  Your commitment is admirable.  You should get a video to Guinness to see if they want to include you. 

Also there is also recordsetter.com.  They are a bit more on the esoteric side of records, but I'm sure they'd be interested.  Our friend Chad Lunders has a record there.

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 09:22:25 PM »

Go Mike!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 05:26:21 AM »

Awesome Mike!!!  :o Seriously impressive!

I can't juggle (at all)
I can't ride a unicycle (at all)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 03:10:37 PM »

Go mike go !!
 ;D ;D
jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »

Thanks for the kind responses.  This exercise is so much more fun than an exercise bike.  I had no idea I would get to this point, especially at this time.  I have plenty to still work on....more consistency, more endurance, better juggling while idling (just to name a few things).  If all continues to go well I will be able to start working on my top freestyle soon.  After all, that is the main reason I am unicycling this much.

I applied to Guinness yesterday for a June 4th attempt (my 60th birthday).  Another crazy by-product of all this is that I found some of my old joggling records have been reinstated on the Internet.  Many thanks to recordholders.com for their thorough work and research.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 07:32:01 PM »

Mike, I am totally impressed.  You are amazing. :o
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

Dojo-yoyo7

• Gold Member
  • Got a love can't wait to throw it!
    • my yoyoexpert account
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 08:56:50 PM »

I will happen next year hopefully

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2013, 09:47:14 PM »

Happy New Year from tip top Tipp City.  I was about 45 minutes north of my house and stopped at the Tipp City High School track.  I got in several laps of unicycling while juggling but then was promptly kicked off the track.  They said "Can't you read.  It says no bikes or scooters".  Of course, anybody riding a one wheeled object believes they are not included in that sign.  I tried to bite my tongue and said "sorry".......then I headed home with another story about this journey.  As I left the city limits I couldn't help but roll down the window and yell "Yes, I can read and it's a unicycle!" 

Sam

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2013, 10:24:12 PM »

Sounds to me like they need to make a new sign. It makes me laugh that someone at the high school asked if you could read. Do you think they would have gave you a quick lesson if you had said no?  ???

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2013, 07:29:59 AM »

For the second time I have messed up the right crankshaft that connects to the pedal and have to take it back to the bike shop.  I never thought that this much riding would affect my equipment.  I have worn out a tire, two crankshaft repairs and a pedal is getting bad.  While my unicycle is down I have a few minutes to update my activities.

I hate the cold weather.  I'll bet I could get a lot of good riding in down in San Antonio or over in Italy, but up here I have to work around all the other sports and activities to get a few minutes on runways and basketball courts.  The good news is that I am getting slightly better on turning because of all of that.  The other good news is that my heart rate is better.  In fact, it was so low at my last check up that it scared my doctor and she sent me to a cardiologist.  Thankfully, the heart doc said I was fine and doing pretty good for an old man.

The unicycling has increased a bit of interest in our area.  So much so that we have decided to change our yoyo day at the church to a unicycle day.  Mark Hayward did wonders for us the last three years on yoyo day but we haven't been able to find the right people to keep yoyoing.  On the other hand, right now we have a number of new unicyclists and when I talked with the children's circus group in Cincinnati (My Nose Turns Red) they expressed interest in getting together.  So we are doing that here in another week with unicycle games, unicycle challenges, unicycle cupcakes, unicycle hats and more.  I am excited about working with the circus group and that might lead to more fun in the future (after all, they do have a couple German wheels - check out these hamster cages for humans).

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2013, 09:27:13 PM »

Just the thought of sitting that much on the unicycle (and in the cold) makes my nether parts hurt  :-X

Seriously, I don't know how you do it.  You could be 20 years younger and it would still be impressive.
I hope your uni club takes off.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2013, 04:30:54 PM »

Thanks for your kind words, ta0.  I have learned quite a few things from this little jaunt into the world of unicycling.

1. I have learned how great this forum is.  The unicycling forum is waaay bigger and has great representation from around the world, but it is not nearly as friendly or welcoming.  When our unicycle day is over I will not be going back to their forum.  I do not feel welcomed and people don't care much about beginners (which is what our event is totally aimed at).  In our forum, beginners are constantly encouraged and supported.

2. One of their most popular threads is about more comfortable seats!  It seems that there has been a lot of work and technology done with softer and easier riding unicycle seats.  Of course, they all cost way more than my entire unicycle costs (and some two and three times more).  I just wanted to throw out the concept that many people are thinking like you, ta0, in yearning for more comfort in nether regions.  I have found that the more I ride the better my rear adjusts to it and the less I use my seat.  I think I am starting to put more and more of the pressure on my feet.  Yet, I do wonder about some of those wonder seats that are out there.

3. unicyclist.com does have some very clever threads that are quite popular.  They have one in which they send in pictures of their unicycle in different situations.  The "Quote of the Day" from non riders also has a lot of responses.  They have one section devoted only to "challenges".  They even play elimination games like H-O-R-S-E similar to what we used to play in basketball growing up (they call it OUT the game).

4. I am constantly surprised at how many people dream of one day being able to unicycle but how few people ever dream of throwing a top.  In the United Kingdom one store said they were selling 50 unicycles a day right before Christmas.  Of course, as one guy said, many of those unicycles are novelty Christmas gifts and will be like nuns........most of them do not get ridden.

5. Once again, with this unicycle work I have been doing, I have learned about how amazing the human body is and how it can adapt to so many more things that we can ever imagine.  We do not know what the future has in store for us, but if we keep pushing and dreaming then stunning things keep happening.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2013, 02:23:30 PM »

I am getting more interested the backwards unicycling record.  It is 68 miles.  That sounds like a lot.   What they do not tell you is that it appears to have been done in 24 hours and in a number of different attempts added together.  That means you only need 3 or 4 miles every hour for a full day.  Of course, I cannot even do a mile in twenty four hours!  But it seems like an intriguing challenge full of great exercise and the possibility of fairly regular progress.

My current best is 35 meters.  Ha!