iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rochester Top Fest  (Read 14811 times)

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Rochester Top Fest
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2013, 02:47:22 PM »

So far, Bowling Green doesn't look so good for me.  But you never know.

If anyone that is going sees Jim Neff, please inquire for me about Cyclone, the giant red Alan Grey top that I put such a hurt on in Rochester.  I invited him to join the board when I saw him, so he does know about us.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »

I have to watch what I say about Jim Neff......he knows everything that is written here!  He is a serious top spinner and a serious reader of this forum.  He is also a seriously nice guy and fun to hang around.  Thanks, Jim, for the monobolo regeneration tips!!!

I think I saw Cyclone in his equipment but I do not believe I saw it spinning.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »

Nice name change Mike!  :)

Posted by: "the Pope of Whirl"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »

I believe it was Dave Bazan who told me that he had visited Don and it was room after room full of tops.  Any photos? I was really looking forward to this visit.  I am very disappointed of not been able to come, but It will happen, eventually.  By the way, my mother in law had a miraculous improvement, surprising the doctors.

There is a group of jugglers from Austin who are renting a bus to go to IJA (if they find enough people interested). It would be a blast, but it requires to take off work a whole week which seems too much.

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2013, 09:51:34 PM »

Many  thanks to the folks who showed up to spin tops at the RIT Juggle Fest.  Link to my blog post about the event is below.

http://louisesdaughter.blogspot.com/2013/04/top-spinners-at-2013-rit-juggle-in.html

We missed Jorge more than we could possibly say!  Plan on next year with us, or come visit anytime - with some advance planning of course.  I'm no longer a virgin top collection seller, so feel free to tempt me!  See attached picture.
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2013, 11:57:28 PM »

Jorge, good news about your mother-in-law.
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 12:08:13 AM »

Oh my!  Mike really brought back a treasure trove to the hall of fame! His car is packed of top paraphernalia!  Maybe I should not fly to Rochester. I should just rent a U-Haul  :P

I think I recognize the drawing on the poster on top of the pile, it was on some of your finger tops. Is the brown broad thing below the poster a top?

Nice name change Mike!  :)

Posted by: "the Pope of Whirl"
Mike seems to be enjoying his Pope title.

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 10:33:10 AM »

Looks like you all had a wonderful time.  Don, would love to visit your collection.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 11:24:05 AM »

That Don, what a great photographer!  He got a shot of lots of tops and managed to even get me with my body twisted so I look thinner than I am.

I am glad that one sign shows.  It has a great poem on it about a spinning top creeping....that will soon be sleeping.  The top in my hand fits on a six inch square box with a motor in it so it can spin.  The big brown top you can see was made by a wood turner for a special convention that Don attended with many of his tops.  Was that in Maine?  Mark Hayward will be interested in the green top.  He has two of them and when I talk about my yellow top that is from the same mold he always reminds me that he has one more than me.  Well, what you can't see is that there is another one in the box which now means that I have one more than he has!

The big haul of the day was the red top you see with the point up.  It is a giant display top that rests on a solid metal stand.  It is probably about three feet tall and will look great in the Hall of Fame or maybe on my front porch to alert the neighborhood to the upcoming Whirled Top Festival.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 12:07:33 PM »

I cannot believe I did not notice in the photo the largest red top!  :-[  It should be perfect for the Hall. I did notice that you looked thinner but I assumed it was all that unicycling.

Are you sure the reason you got two more of the large plastic tops was not to stop me from getting one?  :-\ You already knew I don't have any and I want one  ::)

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2013, 12:39:38 AM »

Drat! I hate it when I lose a contest to Mike! That's it! I'm going back and this time with an 18-wheeler.

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2013, 08:14:42 AM »

Looks like most questions answered -

The American Association of Woodturners convention that featured spinning tops as a  theme, and featured some of my top collection (and me) was in 2002 in Rhode Island.  That big top was a display piece created by one of the wood turning groups attending.  They were quite competitive about making cool items to display as part of the "Instant Gallery", and to sell at a charity auction at the end of the event.  I bought the one you see in Mike's car.  He got a deal because it subsequently split either because of slightly wet wood used in the construction, or varying expansion of the  different woods in such a large piece.  I believe that there were several smaller finger tops displayed on the big one, but I can't find them.  The big top rotates on a bearing set into the base.  Pictures of my collection at the event can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/topcollection/sets/72157604889091585/

On the big plastic tops, I kept two, and subsequently have seen two more lying around, so you have hope Mark and others?  I still have the rotational molding machine, but don't currently know exactly where the mold is?

Below are some pictures of tables full of tops that were made by attendees at that 2002 event that were given to area youth groups after the party!  Someday I'll figure out a place (and find time) to post more pictures from that event.  There were some pretty cool tops there - mostly finger spinners.

Last but not least, my favorite picture from the event is the picture of a gas station next to the convention center, as viewed out my hotel window!

And - even more last, I found a picture of that big display top on the table at the convention with the smaller tops that were with it.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2013, 08:42:50 AM »

I tried to buy more of the big plastic tops but Don wanted to hold on to a few.  Now that he has found a few more this means my lead over Mark is in jeopardy!

Rhode Island.  Rhode Island.  Rhode Island.  I will try my best to remember that.  He told me this several times but because of my ignorance of all things in the far northeast of the United States, I forgot again.

Sure wish some other wood turning groups could get into a fun top spinning challenge like this group.  Those are great pictures!

Another great picture is the one of that gas station.  Very interesting!

Finally, I am so glad to hear about Jorge's mother-in-law.  I believe I met her once.  She is a nice woman.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 08:45:47 AM by the Pope of Whirl »

Zeemo

• Gold Member
  • Zeemo The Magnificent
    • Zeemo Production
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2013, 11:31:03 AM »

I am in for Bowling Green.  Bought my gym passes yesterday.  I will have to miss Wed. because I have a gig.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2013, 12:48:11 PM »

Don, thanks for the pictures.  Everyone should follow Dons link http://www.flickr.com/photos/topcollection/sets/72157604889091585/ and look at a slideshow of Dons collection, it's very cool.