iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Suns - Roller Coaster (Bastones-Lazadas) by Gus  (Read 3404 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Suns - Roller Coaster (Bastones-Lazadas) by Gus
« on: March 24, 2013, 06:23:06 PM »

The sun was coming down at Chapultepec park when Gus started to show Salvador how to combine suns (wheel of fortune) with the roller coaster or lasso catch.  I jumped at the opportunity to record a "tutorial".  This is definitely not an easy trick. Gus talks about the history of the trick and also shows the analog trick of combining hammers with lasso catches.

Unfortunately, it is not the most straight forward tutorial, besides being in Spanish. I'll try to add some comments to the video in the future. I cut it down from 15+ minutes but it is still close to 10 minutes long.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:45:20 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Suns - Roller Coaster (Bastones-Lazadas) by Gus
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 02:12:30 PM »

The story of how the trick came up, if I understood it correctly, is as follows.
Gus was in Colombia teaching some kids (he always says Colombian kids are incredible top players). In particular, he mentions one called Marlon.  He was showing them the baston (sun) to trapeze move, going under the leg. But they had problems releasing the top from the string, specially because the thin string they used over there.  So Gus thought about a way of releasing the top easier from bastones and he realized that starting them with lasso (sewing machine) catch, instead of a trapeze catch, the tip would have only half a turn of string around the tip on release. From there he started alternating bastones and lasso catches. He also mentions that much later, while visiting Carlos Solis in Slovakia, he started going directly from roller coaster into the this low-bind bastones.

I tried them for the first time after editing the video and I think that perhaps some players may find them easier than regular continuous suns (aka wheel-of-fortune) as the top can be spinning fast and the movement is less subtle. But I have not done many in a row, not under the legs, nor seamlessly switched from/to roller coaster and wheel-of-fortune, yet.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 02:43:18 PM »

Great video/editing Ta0, thanks for posting. Seeing Gus pull off those moves so effortlessly both depressed me (he's so dang good!) and inspired me to put more time into my spinning.  I look forward to springtime when I can get outdoors and away from all my hard floors and my two kittens (they do love my string  :D )

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 03:29:43 PM »

waow !! that's serious play
if only Gus could make it to worlds ... ;D ;D

thanx for editing

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 09:57:14 PM »

Thanks again for your efforts to share these clips with us and the stories behind some of the origins.

I've found the trapeze exit from suns is quite natural and getting back into suns not too bad (not good either though) from the trapeze (no under the leg stuff yet) but the lasso catch is rather more elusive for me.

Hammers with the tip towards me to lasso is also reasonable but hammers with the tip away as Gus does is also elusive so far. 

Smooth links between tricks are very satisfying.  I'm wondering how something like these will be judged in contests where same trick count limits are set.  For example, if there is a first 3 reps count limit for scoring and a competitor does 3 RCS, then does 3 suns, then MGR, and then does a sun-lasso combo does the combo score as a new trick or does the sun not score since it is the 4th occasion for that trick?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2013, 11:45:01 AM »

I'm wondering how something like these will be judged in contests where same trick count limits are set.  For example, if there is a first 3 reps count limit for scoring and a competitor does 3 RCS, then does 3 suns, then MGR, and then does a sun-lasso combo does the combo score as a new trick or does the sun not score since it is the 4th occasion for that trick?
In principle, the combo trick (as one smooth movement) counts as a different trick.  Now, judges are not robots and don't expect a mathematical equation that gives the same score for the same routine every time.

Notice how at 7:10 Gus looks at the camera through the wheel of fortune without having to follow the top the top with his eyes (what tends to make me dizzy). 

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2013, 12:12:33 PM »

For me the same trick with a different entry or exit is a different trick.  A combo which includes a trick that has been done before, the combo is scored as a new trick.  The different elements of the combo can add difficulty or style points as perceived by the judge.   The repeat rule is so some one does not just stand there and do a minute worth of suns, hop the fence, or some regen trick just to add points in a short time.
Practice hard and play safe.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2013, 06:53:02 PM »

This trick is... FUN!
Must. Make. Video.