iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: now i want a bubble bath.  (Read 7705 times)

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:26:07 AM by ta0 »
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: now i want a bubble bath.
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 09:44:29 AM »

I was waiting for the Earl to say something.  I remember during a visit this was one of the tops of my collection that caught his interest the most. 

Soon after I got mine on Ebay, I fouind another auction for one that was still full of soap, but passed.  I am sure the empty one spins much better.  In fact, it is easy to throw and boomerang the usual way by replacing the wind up starter with a string.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »

This bubble bath bottle from Avon brings back a lot of memories.  I remember we had this when I was growing up.  There weren't too many things that my mom and sisters had that I was interested in playing with.  I didn't know much about tops and top spinning but this bottle always made me dream of possibilities.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 10:28:24 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 10:35:34 AM »

Thanks Renee for re-posting this. I'm sorry for the extra work. I love this fully functional top container.

There are 3 or 4 at this time on Ebay. One is still full of soap. But that would require a lot of patience for a top spinner because you cannot use the top until it's empty.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 11:10:41 AM »

...you cannot use the top until it's empty.

Is that because it spills? What would happen if that could be prevented?
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 04:02:18 PM »

Thanks for the memories.  I forgot all about this thread!!!

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 06:22:02 PM »

Jeremy, it would seem that you have not seen tops with some liquid in a sealed chamber. As the top spins the liquid comes to the same speed as the top and centrifugal force makes the liquid move to the widest area of the top. If the top of the top is open and there is enough liquid it will be thrown out. If there is not that much liquid and the profile of the top narrows above the widest part the liquid can stay inside.
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 04:34:43 PM »

...you cannot use the top until it's empty.
Is that because it spills? What would happen if that could be prevented?

Actually, it shouldn't leak. The white part of the top (including the tip) is one piece (probably blow molded) with only a little hole on crown that screws into the red part, which seals it.

The reason it can't be used with liquid is the same why a hard boiled egg can be spun well but not a raw egg. It is difficult to transfer the spin to the liquid and even if you do (by spinning it for a while with a drill, for example) the liquid sloshing inside will rapidly kill the spin energy.

Although I was sure this would happen, I tried it by (patiently) filling up the Avon spinning top with water. Could not get any spin, either with the starter or a string. Unfortunately, I insisted and eventually it got a hairline crack at the rim from hitting the floor. Now it does leak  :'( But after emptying it, I can boomerang it again.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 08:44:07 PM »

The reason it can't be used with liquid is the same why a hard boiled egg can be spun well but not a raw egg. It is difficult to transfer the spin to the liquid and even if you do (by spinning it for a while with a drill, for example) the liquid sloshing inside will rapidly kill the spin energy.

But this liquid-containing top would seem to work pretty well.

Also seem to recall a post with a video of another such top spinning successfully. And that's what I'd expect from the centrifugal stiffening observed in my centrifugal LEGO tops. The one below spins quite smoothly.

Guess the problem arises when you have too much liquid or powder inside. Then you'd have "loose" internal mass with inadequate incentive to move with the top's solid outer shell.

Although I was sure this would happen, I tried it by (patiently) filling up the Avon spinning top with water. Could not get any spin, either with the starter or a string. Unfortunately, I insisted and eventually it got a hairline crack at the rim from hitting the floor. Now it does leak  :'( But after emptying it, I can boomerang it again.

Now I feel bad for putting you up to that.   :-[
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:38:59 AM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 09:46:40 PM »

Jeremy, it would seem that you have not seen tops with some liquid in a sealed chamber. As the top spins the liquid comes to the same speed as the top and centrifugal force makes the liquid move to the widest area of the top. If the top of the top is open and there is enough liquid it will be thrown out. If there is not that much liquid and the profile of the top narrows above the widest part the liquid can stay inside.

Thanks, Dick! I've seen a couple of tops with just enough liquid to leave a thin layer against the inner wall at speed, and they worked just fine. But I haven't seen one mostly full, and I'm beginning to think that may be the issue with the Avon top.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2017, 02:06:29 PM »

The starter or a string throw only has a second or so to get the top up to speed, what is not enough time to transmit the spin to the bulk of the liquid (through shear viscosity).
In the case of the glass top, I am guessing the moment of inertia of the glass is enough to drag the liquid after the whirl until it builds up its spin. But the plastic of the Avon top is very light weight, specially compared to the water.
I do have the large Hydro Gyro, but the blue liquid has evaporated long ago.

I think that with a drill and a minute spin up I could get the full Avon top to spin well. But once you tried to move the axis to do any tricks it would fail miserably.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:41:12 AM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2017, 05:14:25 PM »

The starter or a string throw only has a second or so to get the top up to speed, what is not enough time to transmit the spin to the bulk of the liquid (through shear viscosity).
In the case of the glass top, I am guessing the moment of inertia of the glass is enough to drag the liquid after the whirl until it builds up its spin. But the plastic of the Avon top is very light weight, specially compared to the water.
I do have the large Hydro Gyro, but the blue liquid has evaporated long ago.

I am sure think that with a drill and a minute spin up I could get the full Avon top to spin well. But once you tried to move the axis to do any tricks it would fail miserably.

Makes perfect sense. Would love to experiment with some of the variables here using LEGO, but the necessary water-tight parts may not exist. Then again, I keep relearning never to say never with LEGO.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2020, 10:50:40 PM »

Tim opens a suitcase from 2000 and the first toys that come out are all tops. One of the tops the HydroGyro. He said that it had dried up like mine, but he made a little hole and filled it with new liquid.  I need to do the same.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2020, 11:44:57 PM »

The yellow top with the red bottom and a little blue piece on the very top of the top is one that confuses many visitors to the hall of fame.