iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Future contests  (Read 18009 times)

NickC

Re: Future contests
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2012, 02:24:12 PM »

The date for our festival is not yet confirmed for the upcoming year.  It may be a few more weeks until we know for sure, but we are still going to aim for Labor Day weekend.  (Which is also great because a lot of people will have Monday off and can spend more time at the festival.)  The venue is awesome.  It is a big gym, all indoors, and the show stage is attached to the building.  You won't have to leave the building unless you want to.  The gym has regular wood floors but the common areas are concrete, so you should be able to find whatever spinning surface you like.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2012, 03:20:18 PM »

Maybe Jim from Paris could hit our Miamisburg fest them go to Kansas City, do a little sightseeing and finish up at Chico?

Kansas City sounds great but it seems like I always have some other obligations over that weekend....including unicycling in a parade in John Buechele's hometown (I have 18 years in that one and am hoping to make it 20).
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2012, 06:57:48 PM »

Mike, what would it take to move the Miamisburg festival to a date earlier in the year?  I know it would be a hassle and there is some risk, but it could also become a much bigger event: US Spintop Open (we would help you!)  Also, by separating it from the Kansas festival dates, we can also build that one as a top festival.

Now, I don't know if Miamisburg is "close enough" for many folks.  What do the rest think?

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2012, 07:19:08 PM »

Nick and the Kansas City Juggling Club are an outstanding group of humans, I am so glad Nick has participated in this discussion.  Kansas City is only 2-1/2 hours away for me, so it may be impossible to appear unbiased, but man it does seem to be centrally located and there's like and AIRPORT in town rather than 2 hours away...

But I do so very much want to meet the UC crew!  Come to Kansas City  ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 07:44:19 PM by Neff »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2012, 08:51:45 PM »

July is a busy month and people are often in and out of town because of vacations.  The same seems to be the case with June.  We had a "World Juggling Day" event for a number of years (3rd Sat. in June) but it finally just simply died.  Some years it limped along although there were a couple years when it really was big (like over 50 people) but then it would die down again.  Non-school months are hard to predict and hard to generate enthusiasm.  We even have a big community day camp at our place on the second or third week of July with over 100 people and each year we teach top spinning and promote our event.  But by the weekend people are scattered and sometimes we have a larger Sunday worship and pool party in the evening (it's free) and sometimes we don't.  Most often we don't!!!  If we did I would say let's do it on that Saturday after Day Camp.

Now May.  May is another on and off month with graduations, end of school parties and activities and Memorial Day plus the end of lots of High School sports and then the start up of summer Little Leagues etc.  I have had all kinds of problems trying to pull things together in that month.  We also have our Spring Fling festival in the middle of that month and the town plans lots of activities around this local festival/parade/art show.  When pastors get together they all talk about how tough it is to do much of anything in that month.

March and April are busy months for me at the church because of Lent and worship services in the middle of the week along with services on Sunday.  Then there is tax season and Easter.  I am usually pulling my hair out at this time of the year.

Don't think that I haven't thought extensively about other potential times.  We stumbled on the week before Labor Day because there was an Arts Festival in downtown Miamisburg in the Market Street Square.  We joined in with that to try to help them and create some more interest for that event.  The first year, already, we were bigger than their event.  The organizers of the Arts Festival were frustrated at the lack of participation (plus all the money they lost) and quit doing it.  We had to decide whether to keep going on that date or find another.  It was the beginning of school and that wasn't ideal but at least the kids were in classes.  We also found that we had all summer to promote our event.  We went weekend by weekend through the schedule to see when it would be better, especially after the third year when interest dwindled.  Then they started summer car cruise-ins with 100 or so cars in our downtown on the fourth Saturday in June, July and August.  We joined in with them (since we were on the same day) and moved our morning event to coincide with the August car cruise-in which started in the late afternoon.  We also started battling tops.  The combination seemed to work.  There were more things going on downtown than just us, so adults and uninterested kids could walk around while the die-hard spinners battled.  We have been going on for ten years like that and it still feels pretty good.

Hopefully this gives you a little feel for what we have been working through with our event!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 08:55:06 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2012, 11:39:50 PM »

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Mike.  But some of the reasons for not being a good time to get the locals (kids out of school, vacation trips) are exactly the reasons why it would be a good time for out-of-town players to come.  So you will have to decide if you want a festival oriented to the local community or to have one with a national scope.

Kansas City is $200 by plane or 14 hours by car from down here, what is not bad.  But the dates between worlds and nats are not ideal, in my opinion.

Jon, when are you going to have Rocky Mountain Regionals next year?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2012, 09:43:07 AM »

We made that decision 14 years ago.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2013, 07:05:25 PM »

So, are we gonna have the spin top open this year?  Forive me if I've missed this elsewhere.  If not resolved, I propose KC Juggle fest, which is not on the calender, but I think is scheduled for Sept 7-8th?  There, I said it.  If there is momentum to go Denver instead, I can dig it.

I'm planning on going to Chico for Nats (so long as notthing messes up up my schedule)--Oct 5th I believe.  I'm thinking of renting a house and and having a party too-need to work on this.  Spin top hijinks!  (or as Boots might say, shenanigans...)  ;)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 07:12:34 PM by poptop »
Erratic Wobbler

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #68 on: May 13, 2013, 12:23:33 AM »

I found out today that Colorado (specifically Pueblo) is gaining another advanced player.  Clue: Texas is losing one :(  So it is making more and more sense to have a spintop meeting in Denver.

Kansas City is pretty central geographically, so I guess it could be an alternative.

I'm planning on going to Chico for Nats (so long as notthing messes up up my schedule)--Oct 5th I believe.  I'm thinking of renting a house and and having a party too-need to work on this.  Spin top hijinks!  (or as Boots might say, shenanigans...)  ;)

:o 8)  Having a spintop party at nats would be sooo cool!

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 12:36:22 AM by ta0 »
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5   Go Up