iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down

Author Topic: A top from Turkey  (Read 10178 times)

Flavio

A top from Turkey
« on: July 15, 2012, 09:37:00 PM »

I won a top Turkish, your cord is connected directly into it, I'm throwing it as normal with the tops, and he turns over legally do not know if that's how he rolls or play, I'll make a video to show his swing ...

Spintop Brasil, Sanca-SP

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
Re: A top from Turkey
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 10:36:15 PM »

Congratulations!  Nice prize Flavio.  :)
What type of contest?

I have one quite similar, they are great fun!
Actually ALL TOPS are FUN!

Flavio

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 12:10:46 AM »

Thanks Larry, from what I saw in your video was throwing well, a friend went to Turkey and brought this gift for me ...

Flavio

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 06:09:36 PM »

I took some shots with my top Turkish, I do not know if that's what throws right but ta running well like that, and I took advantage and did some loops with Duncan and CrazySpin ...

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 11:49:35 PM »

You do well with your Turkish top.  It is not easy to play with them.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 09:57:18 PM »

That sure looks like a rewind top.
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 09:39:08 AM »

That sure looks like a rewind top.
It does have very much the looks of a rewind top, but it is definitely not:

On the first post by Flavio the picture doesn't show the string going through the hole on the ring pivot, but that is where mine (and I believe Flavio's on the video) is attached.  The nail axle is too thin and has no way to attach the string so that it would rewind it. There is also not enough space inside the ring to rewind the thicker and longer string.

I am puzzled why these tops are so popular in Turkey as they limit a lot what you can do with them.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 09:44:45 AM by ta0 »

Flavio

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 12:49:35 PM »

I took a photo of one like his first top, when it is triggered the system itself collects the line back into the barrel and it rotates freely to the other cord is connected and when you throw the line can disrupt a little performance of the spin of the top ...

Here the system that collects the cord and as you said is thinner ...

Dojo-yoyo7

• Gold Member
  • Got a love can't wait to throw it!
    • my yoyoexpert account
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 11:30:21 PM »

Cool top congratz i had one but my sister tor it up

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2014, 07:16:10 AM »

could find anywhere to put this so i figured this thread was a good place  :-X apparently the string isnt actually attached in this video

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 12:55:31 AM »

Speaking of Turkish tops…

I just returned from Turkey, where I was lucky enough to witness the colorful tethered Turkish tops in their homeland.  They appear to be marketed mainly among street vendors and mostly sold to tourists around the religious sites in old Istanbul—this is the only place I saw them.  They are generally sold by young guys walking around with a large bundle of tops dangling from one hand and demonstrating with the other.  Some of them were quite good.  I saw a few through the leg and back to hand tricks.  Many also threw wide arch upside down boomerang-like tricks where the tops landed in hand on the head of the nail attaching the metal ring.  The most common thing they did was to throw them to the ground and “walk the dog”, sometimes returning to hand ala sky rocket.  (They were mildly impressed when I showed them I could do this too  ;)) The demonstrator’s skills are key in capturing the attention and inspiring would be buyers to part with their Turkish Liras. 

Sadly, these tops are cheaply made—several of the ones I bought quickly cracked due to being turned wet I assume.  I’d like to think they are hot items, selling out as fast as they can make ‘em?  The tips seem to be made of stout upholstery tacks—good for spinning on the ground, the bodies of a fairly light wood colorfully dyed & unfinished, the ring of thin stamped steel (like a metal ferule atop a glass globe Christmas ornament)--the ring is attached to the solid wood body with a finishing nail threaded through two opposite holes in the side walls of the ring.  The bright colored nylon string is attached through a third hole in the side of the ring held in by a stopper knot.  Like in the video, when I returned to my hotel room, I too quickly loosed the knot, unleashed the top and tossed it a few times untethered.  It worked, but the stubby tip makes acrobatic string play all but impossible.  Still I did throw a few spinners before re-attaching Turkish style (I didn’t land a boomerang for some snagging problems).  These tops seem limited at first, but the more I play with mine, I have to believe interesting new tricks are waiting to be teased out of them.  They are unusual and compelling for sure.  I believe the popularity of these is simply due to their being so easy to play—like tops with training wheels!   To me they sum up to a captivating combination of spin top, yo-yo and gyroscope.  Good fun one and all.

I also had the good fortune to find more familiar Turkish tops in a small village street market near the town of Iznik.  These had more typical western/egg shape, rounded crown (crownless?), nice metal flared tips—“half hour glass” in shape (I made this description up--think top dog prototype tip for those who know or care).  The ones I saw were generally of the same size and shape as one another, all solid and turned from a good hard wood and decorated with three equatorial rings of pink and green.  They varied in size a bit from piece to piece, but most are about the size of a standard wooden Duncan.  The ones I picked up feel good in hand; round, plump and hefty. These are somewhat suited to acrobatic string play, but the neck of the tip being half wood and half metal does offer more friction than a full hourglass or diabolo style metal tip would.  Lacking a ridged crown, these tops are wound “tip-up” much like Koma or Chinese tops would be.  In fact, the evening I found these tops, I stayed the night in Bursa and while playing outside my hotel I seemed to have humored the busboy who pointed out a flat concrete pad across the street and followed me over to watch.  He must have played in his youth because when I offered him a turn to toss it, he didn't hesitate—he accepted the top, wound up properly and attempted an underhand throw, much like we've seen many others perform using similar Asian peg tops.  His throw got a bit tangled, but it was probably his first attempt in years (he did better than I did on my first try).

Anyway, I was super pleased to find these and will try to post some pictures when I get time.  I had a few on my phone, but it seemed to have enjoyed the delightfully unusual landscape and exotic culture so much it parted company with me before my return.  Bummer, huh?  :'(
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 05:21:38 AM by poptop »
Erratic Wobbler

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 09:22:08 AM »

Cool report!  Thanks poptop!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 11:01:30 AM »

I am sorry about your phone.

Excellent report!  That the swivel tops are mostly for tourist is what I imagined, although we have seen before a video of a school where they were played.
Great find the peg tops! I look forward to the photos. And if you brought an extra one, I am interested ;)

What was the name they used for the tops? Was it the same for both types?

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 11:11:31 AM »

Sounds like you had a great time. Except for the phone part.  Thanks for taking the time to give us an insight on the Turkish top scene.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2014, 12:13:10 AM »

thanx for the article !

"Topak" is the name for spinning tops

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 06:05:27 AM »

Speaking of Turkish tops…

I just returned from Turkey, where I was lucky enough to witness the colorful tethered Turkish tops in their homeland.  They appear to be marketed mainly among street vendors and mostly sold to tourists around the religious sites in old Istanbul—this is the only place I saw them.  They are generally sold by young guys walking around with a large bundle of tops dangling from one hand and demonstrating with the other.  Some of them were quite good.  I saw a few through the leg and back to hand tricks.  Many also threw wide arch upside down boomerang-like tricks where the tops landed in hand on the head of the nail attaching the metal ring.  The most common thing they did was to throw them to the ground and “walk the dog”, sometimes returning to hand ala sky rocket.  (They were mildly impressed when I showed them I could do this too  ;)) The demonstrator’s skills are key in capturing the attention and inspiring would be buyers to part with their Turkish Liras. 

Sadly, these tops are cheaply made—several of the ones I bought quickly cracked due to being turned wet I assume.  I’d like to think they are hot items, selling out as fast as they can make ‘em?  The tips seem to be made of stout upholstery tacks—good for spinning on the ground, the bodies of a fairly light wood colorfully dyed & unfinished, the ring of thin stamped steel (like a metal ferule atop a glass globe Christmas ornament)--the ring is attached to the solid wood body with a finishing nail threaded through two opposite holes in the side walls of the ring.  The bright colored nylon string is attached through a third hole in the side of the ring held in by a stopper knot.  Like in the video, when I returned to my hotel room, I too quickly loosed the knot, unleashed the top and tossed it a few times untethered.  It worked, but the stubby tip makes acrobatic string play all but impossible.  Still I did throw a few spinners before re-attaching Turkish style (I didn’t land a boomerang for some snagging problems).  These tops seem limited at first, but the more I play with mine, I have to believe interesting new tricks are waiting to be teased out of them.  They are unusual and compelling for sure.  I believe the popularity of these is simply due to their being so easy to play—like tops with training wheels!   To me they sum up to a captivating combination of spin top, yo-yo and gyroscope.  Good fun one and all.

I also had the good fortune to find more familiar Turkish tops in a small village street market near the town of Iznik.  These had more typical western/egg shape, rounded crown (crownless?), nice metal flared tips—“half hour glass” in shape (I made this description up--think top dog prototype tip for those who know or care).  The ones I saw were generally of the same size and shape as one another, all solid and turned from a good hard wood and decorated with three equatorial rings of pink and green.  They varied in size a bit from piece to piece, but most are about the size of a standard wooden Duncan.  The ones I picked up feel good in hand; round, plump and hefty. These are somewhat suited to acrobatic string play, but the neck of the tip being half wood and half metal does offer more friction than a full hourglass or diabolo style metal tip would.  Lacking a ridged crown, these tops are wound “tip-up” much like Koma or Chinese tops would be.  In fact, the evening I found these tops, I stayed the night in Bursa and while playing outside my hotel I seemed to have humored the busboy who pointed out a flat concrete pad across the street and followed me over to watch.  He must have played in his youth because when I offered him a turn to toss it, he didn't hesitate—he accepted the top, wound up properly and attempted an underhand throw, much like we've seen many others perform using similar Asian peg tops.  His throw got a bit tangled, but it was probably his first attempt in years (he did better than I did on my first try).

Anyway, I was super pleased to find these and will try to post some pictures when I get time.  I had a few on my phone, but it seemed to have enjoyed the delightfully unusual landscape and exotic culture so much it parted company with me before my return.  Bummer, huh?  :'(

wow that was really an interesting and very informative account thank you, and sorry about your phone  :'(

thanx for the article !

"Topak" is the name for spinning tops

jim

excellent now if only the turks used the internet lol i cant find anything under that name

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2015, 01:51:06 AM »

@-@ turkey

Pepe

• ITSA
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 04:44:53 AM »

Thanks for sharing!!!

Loved your trompo trip.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 10:13:10 PM »

Now she is the best I've seen. Better than the Colombians, HOT - HOT - HOT, and HAPPY TWO.
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up