iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: US Nats results and pics  (Read 7026 times)

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
US Nats results and pics
« on: October 02, 2011, 08:06:03 PM »

Watching the Live Stream yesterday evening…I think these are the results:

1.   Darren Kim
2.   Jon Gates
3.   Brian Caster (poptop)

Spinqueen won the Ladder in her category.

Congratulations to the winners!  ;D
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 08:11:49 PM by Larry D. »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
US Nats results and pics
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 10:46:10 PM »

I am back from another great nats! And the main reason they are great is that I get to meet all these old friends that share my hobby and make some new ones.

Larry is correct about the freestyle results.  I was not a judge (Alan, Dale and Dick were) but from what I saw poptop must have been close to Jon!  Also freestyling were Cliff and two of his skating buddies, Drew and Noah, plus Orlando, one of the Academy kids.  The ladder in the 18+ was well represented and we could have had a couple more but they bowed out when they saw the very impressive score that Spin Queen got (she should freestyle!).

Pictures coming in a little while . . .  And a lot more afterward . . .

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: US Nats results and pics
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 12:07:23 AM »

Here are the new inductees:

Free:

Branden:

Drew:

Noah:

Orlando

Zac

I should have taken a picture of Free's yo-yo buddy from Seatle. He was very enthusiastic.

I think you can tell from the pictures how much fun people they all are. If anybody wants the uncropped, full resolution images, send me an email.

PS: In need get some sleep.  The Seatle guys as well as Alan must still be driving home . . .
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 10:20:51 AM by ta0 »

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 09:41:57 AM »

Congratulations everyone!!  Glad to see so many new inductees to Ta0s club and to put some faces to some names.  Pics and videos please!!! (especially if anyone got any of SpinQueens impressive Ladder blowout  :D)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 09:58:33 AM »

The U.S. Nationals Battletop Championship was won by Alan, who repeated after Flatland!

Actually, he tied with 12pts with our official wedgier:

I think Jake should have gotten the trophy because even if Alan won the tie breaker, he was the one who cracked the arena with a thunder throw!  The other guy who was scary throwing was tonysauce (last year winner.) I just realized I don't have a Figaro picture with Tony!!!!!  >:( >:( >:( We had a total of 15 players competing (3 groups of 5).

I did not win, but I had a great kill on my last shot, knocking Spin Queen's top out of the arena while my top stayed spinning nicely. But she refused to give me any extra points by admitting that I had cause a dent ("I don't know if those were already there or not . . .")  >:(
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 09:52:21 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 10:17:54 AM »

Here are the winners of the Sports Trick division three age brackets, Orlando, John Ferre (repeat) and Spin Queen:

I fumbled my camera for the Championship awards (Lynn had a top notch camera and Spin Queen should be posting those pictures soon), but I did get the moment when this kid pushed away poptop to take his third place  :D :

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 10:32:03 AM »

For me one of the highlights of my trip was visiting Richy's house/museum. The question is not what he and his wife collect but what they do not collect!  :o Yo-yos and tops, of course, but also clocks, walking canes, toy cars, silver baby rattles, motorbikes, heads . . .  I think it should be a required visit at nats, the same as Lucky's at worlds.  But I would be a little concerned about visiting alone for fear of becoming part of the collection  :-\ Specially with that full size Hannibal Lecter in the living room (even with the straight jacket)!

Richy refused to let me throw the bowling ball top. However, after lifting it I realized it would have been impossible: with its huge weight and the sharp tip I could not even stand it up on the palm of my hand for a split second! 

Perhaps with gloves and pulling with both hands . . . 

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 11:17:24 AM »

Wow, great report!  I love hearing all the stories.  I am thrilled to see that six people freestyled!  And we even had an extra judge there in the wings.

Love the picture of Richy's place.  I had no idea he collected so many items.  Was that really SpinQueen with the long hair?  She looks great.  How exciting to hear about her terrific ladder score.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 01:08:17 PM »

what a weekend !

thanx for the report i love it all  :D :D

and thumbs up to Richy a one-of-a kind fellow

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »

Wow, how did I miss out on Richy's house tour?   Being a collector of many things myself, I would have loved it.  Richy, nice Whizzer!  What year is it?   

I'm guessing that there were no shots of my ladder test, as I waited for people to wander off before Ta0 tested me.  I had no intention of even participating in any contests this year but Ta0 talked me into it.  I couldn't believe how nervous I was....Even after I was done testing I couldn't do a big scoop due to clammy hands.   I did much better than I had expected.  I thought I would have totally choked.  I haven't had time to play tops for quite some time, other than battle tops with my kids.  At home I always have some house project going on, or else I have band practice, and at work I need 20 sets of eyes to view every trick attempted by every one of my kids.   Everyday after school I hear:  "watch me...watch me ...watch me"...and usually all at once ;)   I have to say though, I'm very happy that Ta0 convinced me do the ladder.  It gave me great satisfaction to stand next to my awesome little 8 year old up on the stage.   I was one proud "Mama".

Like Ta0, my other kid "Zac" had several awesome direct hits during the battle top event.   Uuuhhh Huuum....Ta0, if you remember correctly, it was McBride who made the final judgement about you not getting points for hitting my top.  I only pointed out that there was no way to prove whether you had indeed done the damage, or if it had happened during my own throws, since we only marked for damage at the very beginning of the game, and my top had come into contact with the concrete on more than one occation after the game had begun.    I honestly think the death and destruction round needs some reworking.   I totally disagree with you about thinking that the win should have gone to the big guy who cracked the arena (Jake?).  The whole time he was throwing (other than when he was the "chump") I never saw his top spinning.  He basically just threw the top like a rock at the target. Where as Alan clearly showed "spin-top" throwing skill.   If we continue with the same rules next year and the no string length requirment rule, I'm just going to tie a tiny string to my finger and throw my top like a rock as well. I might have better luck.    In fact, when we had the disk arena, a few years back..this is how Shultzy took the contest that year.  He would throw like a rock at the side of the arena to rock it and knock the tops out.  But, being more of a purest myself, I would suggest the following:     
                                   1 point    Hit the chump top (always by direct hit) chump top stays in, your top goes out
                                   2 points  hit the chump top both tops stay in "spinning"
                                   3 points  knock both your own top and the chump top out of arena
                                   4 points  knock chump top out of arena and your top stays in "spinning"
                                   5 points  Knock cap off of chump top

By these rules you would have gotten 4 points for your skilled shot at my top....and we won't have to worry about overall top damage since it always too dark to see anyway.   Also, I suggest we BRING BACK THE WEDGIE  >:D   Those were the good old days:  When Men Were Men, and Men had Wedgies!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

My Nats highlights: When I landed two clean Evil Knievels in a row and Ta0 was there to see  :D Visiting with old friends and meeting new ones.  Poptops son ... just as cute as can be standing up on stage with his dad  :D  All the help my kids got from you great guys (and Val) who shared your wealth of knowledge and skills with them.

Photos to follow...Lynne still has to give them to me......I hope I still remember my photobucket account  :o

yollector

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2011, 03:43:25 PM »

Hey SpinQueen,
The Whizzer is a 1946 / Congrats on winning/
same for Orlando / Awesome ! / Next year i will
have a "JAKE" Proof arena / Congrats to Alan,
the battle top Champ !!!! ( he couldnt have done it
with out me cause it was my top that he destroyed
to win the contest) >:D
But------------ the scariest person throwing was
TONY NORTH / he had a overhand throw like Nolan Ryan
from 10-12 fee away and always Hit the mark / IF you saw
it in person you know what i mean , if not you cant imagine.
  Great Time as Always / Hope to see everyone again next
year !!!!!!!!!!!
      Richy from Chico  :D :D :D

yollector

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2011, 03:48:06 PM »

By the Way______________
  A big Thank you to
Mark McBride for running the Battletop
Contest / Without him we would still be
standing around figuring out what the teams are.
    Richy from Chico  ;D  ;D ;D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2011, 07:41:56 PM »

SQ: even if you had given me a dent I would have lost, so you are forgiven  :P

I like your rules SQ. Counting marks is tricky and also breaks the flow of the battle. Still, Mark McBride did a great job keeping everybody's attention in the game and improvising when we did not remember the rules. By the way, these battles that Mark Hayward started have become a real tradition and "serious" business.  A couple of the past winning tops are enshrined at the yo-yo museum together with tops from winning freestyles:

Richy's house needs to be seen to believe it. Mike, this is another reason for you to come to nats.  And if you take Dawn she will never complain again about your Hall of Fame, guaranteed! (Richy told us a similar story about a small collector).

This was a practice shot with Holey, early in the morning, before the rest of the top spinners arrived:

I was planning to get a similar with the spintop crowd, but I forgot.  In fact I don't have any showing the top zone. But this year we had a nice tent over the table and our stage was 50% bigger than last year (thanks, Bob!)

A "new guy" for me (but he lives in Chico) was Alan Dorr.  He not only turns wood (he showed our Alan his shop) but loves curious moving toys. He gave us the "traveling spin and wobble show" with unusual tops and wobbling things, some made by him, some by others, some by nature. Unfortunately, I don't have pictures or video. But I look forward to meeting him at another nats and showing him some of "my stuff".

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 08:10:09 PM »

I honestly think the death and destruction round needs some reworking.   I totally disagree with you about thinking that the win should have gone to the big guy who cracked the arena (Jake?).  The whole time he was throwing (other than when he was the "chump") I never saw his top spinning.  He basically just threw the top like a rock at the target. Where as Alan clearly showed "spin-top" throwing skill.   If we continue with the same rules next year and the no string length requirment rule, I'm just going to tie a tiny string to my finger and throw my top like a rock as well. I might have better luck.    In fact, when we had the disk arena, a few years back..this is how Shultzy took the contest that year.  He would throw like a rock at the side of the arena to rock it and knock the tops out.  But, being more of a purest myself, I would suggest the following:     
                                   1 point    Hit the chump top (always by direct hit) chump top stays in, your top goes out
                                   2 points  hit the chump top both tops stay in "spinning"
                                   3 points  knock both your own top and the chump top out of arena
                                   4 points  knock chump top out of arena and your top stays in "spinning"
                                   5 points  Knock cap off of chump top

By these rules you would have gotten 4 points for your skilled shot at my top....and we won't have to worry about overall top damage since it always too dark to see anyway.
I love Spin Queen.  I find the rock throw that does not spin ridiculous and dangerous.  Also the point for hitting somebody with your top - no skill, no point.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 08:14:40 PM by Neff »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 01:30:49 PM »

Yes, I confirm that I saw Spin Queen land Evil Knievel on her first try and then again on the second one! She also nailed consecutive overhand and underhand whips.  Her students (who in fact call her mama) are so gifted! Zac was having a little trouble with the vertical trapeze as the string was too long for his height; so I thought him side mount: he was doing it consistently after just a few minutes. And Orlando after seeing the freestylers felt he could also freestyle and so he did.  Both said they want to freestyle next year. By the way, Poptop's son (Max?) who is a joy to have around also wanted to freestyle.

I have to agree with Spin Queen and Neff, a rock throw should not count.  When over an year ago I battled some Mexican players in San Antonio, they would throw very hard and accurate throws, but if the top did not spin after hitting the target top it was the same as missing completely.

Darren had a very clean (2 drops I believe) fast routine using a one-way bearing.  The advantages of being able to do bearing tricks but also regens and snap starts really showed up.  He also competed in 3A (and perhaps 5A, I am not sure.)  Jon used only one or two regular tops and an oversize top, doing his usual stuff (he also did yo-yo ladders.) Poptop had a great first throw with a larger (3"+ ?) Delrin-looking top with a Neff style steel core tip that he made. He did quite a few different regens and he has become a contender for future titles. Cliff did his old routine, but did it with a QS hybrid he got from Dale just before the contest. Drew and Noah did tricks they had learned from Cliff, and I believe they only had one top each.  I wish I would have hang out more with them. 

In fact I wish I had hang out more with everybody else. In particular, I feel I could have given more advice on spintop tricks to the beginner and intermediate players. If there is one thing I don't like about nats is that it is way too short.  And this time I had to drive to Sacramento very early so I did not get to see anybody on Sunday. I hope I can come back next year and see you all again!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 01:37:36 PM by ta0 »
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up