iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: bAd Camp Part I  (Read 2969 times)

bAd

• Gold Member
  • You spin my head right round, right round...
bAd Camp Part I
« on: September 09, 2011, 09:25:06 AM »

Hi guys!

As I wrote in my "introduce myself" post, I found out about tops earlier this summer, and immediately got addicted to it.
Since I had planned on spending my summer vacation up on the Italian Appennino mountains, the setting was absolutely perfect for practicing, practicing, and then practicing some more!

I started getting frustrated with bad throws and boomerangs that flew anywhere BUT towards my hand, but in a few days of stubborn dedication I finally managed to get the hang of the throw and the precession correction.

Since my friend Mojo and I had already half-decided that he would come visit me during the summer, we gave birth to what we called "bAd-Camp 2011", a few days of fresh open air, yoyoing and top spinning like crazy!
During those days, I shared that little I had learnt by myself with Mojo and his nephew Joshua, and then we went on to experiment and learn together.

Here we were, on the mountain..er...tops!  8)

From left to right: Joshua, Mojo and bAd!

While walking around, we took advantage of every spot we found fit to practice... whether it be near civilization pic or deep in the woodlands: pic

Clearly showing how CRAZY we are about tops:

There have also been moments of great danger: pic, but we managed to land some cool tricks:

More pics: trick1, trick2

« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 09:30:58 AM by ta0 »

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: bAd Camp Part I
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 09:47:11 AM »

Welcome to the forum, what great pics!  Looks like you guys had lots of fun and excitment learning to throw. It's always good when there is more than one person learning, you can really help each other out.

bAd

• Gold Member
  • You spin my head right round, right round...
Re: bAd Camp Part 2
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 09:50:00 AM »

During our walks, between a throw and the next, we were amazed to stumble upon the very roots (literally!) of Strummol8:

By the end of the camp, both Mojo and Joshua were able to successfully land a boomerang and a trapeze, and I was moving my first steps in regenerations (thanks Maurizio for coming up with the OWB!) pic1, pic2

To show that we are grateful, we gifted our tops with custom carved buttons (as well as stretch-tape protective costumes, since I hadn't come up with my plastic armor solution yet): pic

And I gifted my Giulia with a wooden stand:

In conclusion, here are a few videos of our spinning achievements!

Joshua:

Trapeze and string tricks

Boomerang and hand flips:

bAd:

Woodland combo 2: ]

Mojo:

Polished Sofia and no fear to DINGGG it! :

That's all folks!
I hope I have not bored you, I just wanted to share what has been a fantastic period of time spent with friends doing something we love.

Will there be a bAd-Camp 2012?? I am pretty sure there will be. 8)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 09:56:55 AM »

I like the idea of a camp for top spinning!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 11:37:12 AM »

Awesome!  It's like a spin top pilgramage.

Great photos--surely a few more contenders fot the photo contest.
Erratic Wobbler