iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spin Top folks list / map  (Read 4235 times)

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Spin Top folks list / map
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:46:11 AM »

Idea.  I'm wondering if a "mailing list" of everyone's real world location, phone, etc. might be put together?  I'm thinking that a way to connect and figure out locations would be great to facilitate visits?  If this already exists somewhere on this forum, just gently let me know I'm dense????

If such a list is compiled I don't think many members would want it publicly available for privacy and security reasons.
It has been fairly easy for me to contact spin top people via the Personal Message function on this board.
Otherwise if you are having trouble getting a hold of somebody ta0 or I can probably help :D
Such a list could be maintained privately by somebody like ta0 perhaps, but it would put weight on his shoulders - who can access who's address?
With something like the Personal Message function, each member controls how much information is publically seen, so that is perhaps the best way
to contact folks.  Just click on the members tab and see who has what info available
(HOME HELP SEARCH ADMIN MODERATE PROFILE MY MESSAGES CALENDAR MEMBERS LOGOUT)

Your question reminds me of something I've wanted to do for a while.  In Google Maps, you can create your own maps with
location tags and share the map with others.  You may have to have a google account to see it, not sure.
Wouldn't it be cool to start tagging the cities where players live?  Not the exact address of course, but one tag for each player / collector / enthusiast
so we could start seeing density.  We could use screenames instead of real names to protect privacy, but some members may still not want to be tagged.
If it is done, permission should be obtained for each person.  It would be quite a project.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Spin Top folks list / map
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 12:01:39 PM »

Your question reminds me of something I've wanted to do for a while.  In Google Maps, you can create your own maps with
location tags and share the map with others.  You may have to have a google account to see it, not sure.
Wouldn't it be cool to start tagging the cities where players live?  Not the exact address of course, but one tag for each player / collector / enthusiast
so we could start seeing density.  We could use screenames instead of real names to protect privacy, but some members may still not want to be tagged.
If it is done, permission should be obtained for each person.  It would be quite a project.

I think that would be a great map! 

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 02:41:27 PM »

Hmm, I wonder if the points on the map will end up looking like a top?  ;D

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 03:24:59 PM »

The idea got me to update my profile.  Don, if everyone did that would it satisfy your request?
Practice hard and play safe.

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 09:01:50 AM »

I guess my main thought was that if I was headed to Long Island, I could check to see if there were any top folks there.  In the old days I personally knew pretty much all the top people.  Today there are way too many to keep track of - which is very cool!  The odd thing about the internet is that you can interact with people for a long time, and not really know whether they live next door or 2000 miles away!  Even a searchable listing of profile names by region, city, state, country, might enable more "real world" contact.  To start - Silvertop, Northeast USA, Rochester, NY, USA, visitors encouraged.  Thanks for the update Dick.
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 09:13:47 AM »

These are good ideas.
One possibility is to add fields to the profile.  The profile is only visible to members.  If this is still a concern, I could possible make the fields invisible to anybody except the owner but then export it to a list and send it to "verified" members.
I need to look into the map thing.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 11:34:55 AM »

hi all

we had this debate a couple of years back at the french yoyo asso

finally we kept the map with the forum names visible
(roll over the mouse)

the home addresses and phones are exchanged on a peer to peer basis through PM

http://carte-des-membres.com/fr/FYYA/

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 09:19:17 PM »

Jim's Yo-Yo map of France is very cool.  Looks like the perfect solution unless it is very hard to do????

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:32:31 AM »

I love the google map idea. I have never done one, but I have seen finished ones. To make it more precise without giving exact addresses we could use each player's zip code.