iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: A Facebook link... (Colombian TV)  (Read 4088 times)

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
A Facebook link... (Colombian TV)
« on: July 02, 2011, 01:39:59 PM »

« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 08:47:36 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Pather trompos demo in Colombian TV
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 03:17:23 PM »

Great find, SQ!

I think I read Pather on the T-shirt. That is the main Colombian brand of spintops. However, the main demonstrator (Artemio?) Gomez is from Chihuahua, Mexico, and the style of play is Mexican. They are presented, of course, as the world champions . . .  ::)

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
Re: A Facebook link...
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 04:46:04 PM »

There sure are a lot of World Champions  :-\  I think we should start a Master class of spin-top players.  ;D

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 07:03:40 PM »

World champs or not, they are good.  I saw some new stuff to try. :-\ :-\
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 09:50:15 AM »

Yes, Gomez is pretty good. That is a 4 wrap fixed-tip corkscrew.

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »

I used to have a lot of trouble with the fixed tipped corkscrew...it always flew off the string.  Now I've found that by using  tighter wraps I can pull it off w/out too much trouble. It's important though to let the top do the work....I don't move my arm to help the top around the string...also, some tips/tops work better than others.  The Spintastics TG tip flies off more often than a Salvador style tip.  I either have to slow down the spin for the TG or wrap more tightly.   

So....after reading your reply Ta0, I just tried 4 wraps with a Premier Ganador mexican top and pulled it off easily my first try..   Hmmm, I wonder how much I'll suck at this trick using a Duncan Imperial???

Lets all give it a try, shall we?  Let's start with three wraps and go from there.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 05:50:42 PM »

I agree; the main difference with the bearing corkscrew is that you let the top do the walking instead of swinging the top around. One advantage of the tight wrap is that the top walks through less string and looses less spin.

A Salvador tip should be good as the thin neck will decrease the friction. The Premier Jumbo (your Ganador is a Jumbo given as a prize) is probably too tall to be ideal, although the extra mass may help. A squat stable top should be better.

I just broke my personal best (more than 3  :-X ) using a Hollow Point (no bulldog cap) with one of my custom regen tips. I used daveid's up & down wrap and threw it very hard. I may be able to do an extra one if instead of getting it back to the hand I go into regens.

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »

I think I read Pather on the T-shirt. That is the main Colombian brand of spintops. However, the main demonstrator (Artemio?) Gomez is from Chihuahua, Mexico, and the style of play is Mexican. They are presented, of course, as the world champions . . . 

Bueno, hará cosa de unos tres meses que platiqué con Antonio (no Artemio, je, je, aunque el acento de los colombianos da lugar a esa confusión auditiva) Goméz. Me obsequió un par de jumbos colombianos de la marca que promocionaba, Pather. que viene a significar Patiño Hernández. Antonio ha sido, junto con Gustavo Castro, el principal enlace entre Colombia y México en cuanto al trompo se refiere. Hasta donde sé, actualmente vive en el estado de Chihuahua, de donde creo, es oriundo. Sobre todo él, (vivió algunos años en Colombia) es quien más ha difundido el estilo de juego de acá, entre los colombianos, que, según  sus palabras, ya juegan muy cabrón. Bueno, aún desde antes que fueran losa mexicanos, los colombianos ya jugaban muy bien, sólo, que hasta donde ellos dos me han contado, los colombianos ignoraban y/o desconocían cualquier forma de darle cuerda. Aunque muchísimos trucos, son originarios de Colombia..el téleferico, es el más representativo, creo.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 08:24:12 PM »

Hola ARACNOCTAMBULO.  Muy bueno escuchar de ti otra vez.  Gracias por su información sobre esto.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: A Facebook link... (Colombian TV)
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 08:53:13 PM »

Great to see you posting, Salvador, although I know that now that you are a father you can only check internet very seldom.

I stand corrected: Antonio Gómez (it must have been his Mexican accent :P ).