iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spinners from Ohio  (Read 16530 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Spinners from Ohio
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2020, 03:37:00 PM »

I keep trying to get to the source of the year long schedule of events for Miamisburg.  I feel like it should be the 22nd but I want to be coordinated with the city.  I just talked with the people at Dabble art studio and they seem to be on board with us.  I have my fingers crossed that they will run a top decorating contest.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2020, 05:08:48 PM »

The 29nd would make it further from Worlds, but I don't know if anybody is planning to go to both Budapest and Miamisburg.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2020, 06:38:44 PM »

How about the ones that grow on trees?
Oh, That kind!  Well living in Georgia for so long I have not had a buckeye in my hand in a while.  However we played with the smooth, hard, shiny nuts as kids.  Whilst they are not spherical they are not pointed either.  As I recall they would not spin to well.  Sort of like a Short Circuit top with a metal point.  The moments of the various axes are too similar to be a top, I suspect.  They make great worry stones or fidget toys. The smooth irregular shape has a great feel.

Spent several years in Ohio, but so long ago that I remember too little to assess topworthiness now.

Totally agree about the hand feel, though. And as a kid who threw rocks at every opportunity, I also loved throwing buckeyes.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Mark Leithead

• ITSA
« Reply #48 on: January 24, 2020, 01:03:58 PM »

I don't know if anybody is planning to go to both Budapest and Miamisburg.

I am.  ;D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2020, 01:18:07 PM »

WOW!!!  Good luck with all your travels, Mark.  I look forward to hearing your stories.

We are on with the 22nd.  I just got word from the city of Miamisburg and we are all on the same page.  If you can, please put us on your schedule.  It will be another great spinning time in the Burg on that fourth Saturday in August in the year 2020!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2020, 03:27:32 PM »

:o I'll see you in Budapest, Mark, but I cannot make Miamisburg the following weekend.

I added Miamisburg to the calendar, and it appears to be also Jim Neff's birthday  :)

Mark Leithead

• ITSA
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2020, 05:42:08 AM »

WOW!!!  Good luck with all your travels, Mark.  I look forward to hearing your stories.

We are on with the 22nd.  I just got word from the city of Miamisburg and we are all on the same page.  If you can, please put us on your schedule.  It will be another great spinning time in the Burg on that fourth Saturday in August in the year 2020!!!

Nice! Thanks for the kind words. Good to know the dates as well. Looking forward to it! :)

Quote from: ta0

:o I'll see you in Budapest, Mark, but I cannot make Miamisburg the following weekend.

I added Miamisburg to the calendar, and it appears to be also Jim Neff's birthday  :)

Cool! Sounds like a plan. Should be fun. I'm so grateful the World came to my backyard in 2019. Budapest should be great, the venue looks pretty slick. :D
Pages: « 1 2 3 4   Go Up