iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spinners from Ohio  (Read 16440 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Spinners from Ohio
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2020, 11:48:21 AM »

Sorry you were not able to visit the University of Cincinnati when you were in Miamisburg for nationals.  It is an amazing place and an eye opening experience.  Plus, it is constantly changing.  There is something new with every visit!

Next time, for sure!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Mark Leithead

• ITSA
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2020, 04:21:51 PM »

Sounds great!

Beth

• ITSA
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2020, 09:09:40 PM »

Hi!

Sorry I’ve been inactive here for a bit (still spinning all the time though)! Can you remind me what the event is in Miamisburg?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2020, 09:47:33 AM »

Can you remind me what the event is in Miamisburg?

It's a wonderful spintop festival hosted by Mike Hout.
These are the photos from last year (warning: there are a lot!):
https://www.flickr.com/photos/sammy1000/albums/72157710558898762
The last two years the US National Contest took place together with the festival. That may not be the case this year.
This is the discussion thread from last year (10 pages!):
https://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php/topic,5762.msg61583.html#msg61583

Beth

• ITSA
« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2020, 04:47:54 PM »

Thank you!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2020, 11:14:09 PM »

Thanks for answering this, ta0.  It has been kind of busy around here lately.  I still have not been able to confirm with the city whether our 2020 event will be the 22nd or 29th, although I think it will be the 22nd as the later date is too close to Labor Day.

Do you live anywhere near Ohio, Beth?

Last year a number of people gathered at the church to spin in the late afternoon and evening.  Sometimes people head down to the University of Cincinnati Physics department then to visit with the amazing johnm.  People start gathering at the church (213 E. Central Avenue) starting around 9am.  Many walk to a close location for lunch with more spinning in the afternoon.  The last two years we had a national competition at 3pm inside the fellowship hall.  At 5pm the youth gather their teams together for a big series of battles while adults spin wild things in the grass around the stage.  The event is officially over at 8pm and we usually head to Bullwinkle's Top Hat Bistro for dinner.  The hall of fame opens after that.  It means a lot to have people come to church the next day as a way of saying thanks for the use of the facility.  Sometimes a group heads down to the Univ. of Cincinnati for an afternoon visit.

Hope this brief overview gives you a feel for the flow of the weekend.  Sure would love to have you with us sometime!!!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 11:16:28 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2020, 12:59:17 PM »

Hi!

Sorry I’ve been inactive here for a bit (still spinning all the time though)! Can you remind me what the event is in Miamisburg?

If you live anywhere near, Miamisburg is a must attend event!  You will experience in person just how welcoming and helpful the spin top family is. 

Beth

• ITSA
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2020, 09:16:30 AM »

Great! Thanks for the reminder. Yes I'm an Ohioian. I'm just outside Cleveland so a weekend trip to Miamisburg is definitely doable! I'll mark my calendar for August 22nd and keep an eye on the boards here for an update.

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2020, 12:28:59 PM »

Sin duda de mis mejores experiencias en ese viaje en cada de Mike y pasar a Cincinnati conocer al maestro Jhon Markus.espero este 2020 regresar con ellos

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2020, 08:19:36 AM »

If you live anywhere near, Miamisburg is a must attend event!  You will experience in person just how welcoming and helpful the spin top family is.
No need to live near Miamisburg.  You just need to travel there.  Attendees have come from Georgia, Alabama, Japan, Texas, Manila, New York, Denver Dayton and more.
PS Personally I vote for the 22nd as I hope to be in Madison OH on the 24th for Mom's birthday.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2020, 01:47:51 PM »

Kirk, the 24th is a special day for us too, 57th wedding anniversary.
Practice hard and play safe.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2020, 04:47:09 PM »

Just curious, how well do buckeyes spin like tops?
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2020, 08:28:10 PM »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2020, 09:06:19 PM »

That 2nd spinning Buckeye didn't stay up very long. How about the ones that grow on trees?

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2020, 11:35:23 PM »

How about the ones that grow on trees?
Oh, That kind!  Well living in Georgia for so long I have not had a buckeye in my hand in a while.  However we played with the smooth, hard, shiny nuts as kids.  Whilst they are not spherical they are not pointed either.  As I recall they would not spin to well.  Sort of like a Short Circuit top with a metal point.  The moments of the various axes are too similar to be a top, I suspect.  They make great worry stones or fidget toys. The smooth irregular shape has a great feel.