iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spinners from Ohio  (Read 16734 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Spinners from Ohio
« on: September 01, 2009, 06:37:30 PM »

This is my 100th post and it would be a very significant one if it means I get to know some other Ohio top spinners?  Where are you from, physboy2357?
I was sure those Ohio QS were going to John Buechele!!!

Am I now a golden member or something fun like that?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
Spinners from Ohio
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 11:21:09 PM »

Gold member?  Sounds like you had something dipped  :o

physboy2357

Spinners from Ohio
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2009, 02:59:45 PM »

Thanks,  glad to have found the new board.  I'm Aaron, I'm a researcher at the Univ. of Cincinnati.  There are actually 4 (not 5) of us here in the dept that have found our way into the top world.  I'm trying to coerce the rest of them to get on here as well, instead of being 'lurkers.' 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Spinners from Ohio
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2009, 06:44:13 PM »

Hi Aaron

physboy = physics I guess? (or is it physiology?) That's great!
Do you do research on (quantum) spin by any chance?   8)

Is the group mainly interested in playing, collecting, or both?

Jorge

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
Re: Spinners from Ohio
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 10:15:20 PM »

I'm just an hour from the University of Cincinnati.  My step-daughter will be going there in a few days.  I also know the track coach pretty well, Bill Schnier.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2009, 11:05:22 PM »

And I graduated from UC in Architecture but that was in 1965.
Practice hard and play safe.

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 11:13:20 AM »

There are actually 4 (not 5) of us here in the dept that have found our way into the top world.  I'm trying to coerce the rest of them to get on here as well, instead of being 'lurkers.'

I too am a physicist from the University of Cincinnati.  My name is Bryan Hemingway and I'm a spinaholic.  Both in research and hobby.

I look forward to my quicksilver top.  Sorry to everyone who wanted mine. ;D
"Could switching to GEICO really save you 15 percent or more on car insurance?"

...Is a top in the hand worth two on the floor?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 11:43:41 AM »

Do you Ohio/UC guys all work in the same building?  Do you get together and spin at lunch or after work?  I'm wondering when I can come down and meet all of you.  Tuesday is my day off!!!

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 12:14:03 PM »

We're all physicist (+one staff).  We throw when we want to think and some days after hours before the sun is down (and wives say it's time to go home).

FYI:  We're all on the first floor of the geology/physics bldg. and are in between 10AM and 6PM.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 05:03:18 PM »

Is that a big top on your avatar? Or is just an illusion?

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 06:13:00 PM »

Is that a big top on your avatar? Or is just an illusion?

Hopefully this works.  Forum notation for adding pictures have changed alot surprisingly since I've last posted a picture and the new format of photobucket/flickr seem to make my old method near impossible.  I'll edit if need be.

EDIT:  Apparently Flickr hides the info from you, but I found it.

BTW:

I do not make these.  I am only in the vicinity of the maker and I get the privilege to toss it/them.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 07:43:24 PM by ta0 »

physboy2357

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 06:54:16 PM »

Yeah, one of our guys likes to turn tops.  (Which is partly how we all got into it).  Then we all decided to add some other top mediums to our stock...hence all of the buying. 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 07:42:58 PM »

Wow! I don't know if Mike will be able to wait until Tuesday to drive over there! He has been trying to get Alan to make him a giant top for years! Is the top hollow? Is the tip fixed? What are the dimensions?

By the way, my first spinning top was a Levitron (and the second one was Top Secret), so I can say I started through physics  :P

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 08:59:03 PM »

Jorge is right.  This is driving me crazy!!!  How long has all this been going on in Cincinnati and I knew nothing about it? 

Have you heard about our top festival in Miamisburg (just to the west of the Dayton Mall - exit #44 on I 71)?  We have had it the fourth Saturday of August for the past ten years but we would move it if we could get you all to come up!

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 09:40:42 PM »

Hello, long time lurker-first time poster.  I'm John Markus, a research support staff member of the physics department at the University of Cincinnati.  I'm probably mostly responsible for corrupting several people here by having tops around, but physics people are easy prey when attacked with physics toys so they are partially to blame (is blaming the victim a reasonable defense in this case?).

Some of you have probably done the math and noticed that there are four of us but five Quicksilvers were ordered.  I'm the greedy one but don't be fooled into believing that my skills merit one let alone two fine tops, I'm just greedy.

:-[(embarrassed smiley since there's no guilty smiley)  Something you don't know is that I had two additional Quicksilvers ordered (after our personal stock) for our department's collection of physics demonstrations to be used in lectures and at science fairs.  We intend to assemble a version of ta0's fabulous 'spintop motor' to demonstrate magnetic induction.  It will be used with the rip starters so kids and everyone can try it.  I'm not sure if we got those but if they were the last, sorry to those who need to wait for the next batch.  (If we didn't get those, my 'spare' will become the demo so nothing for the ebayers)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 »   Go Up