iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Making a spintop case  (Read 8859 times)

Free

• Gold Member
Making a spintop case
« on: December 11, 2010, 02:22:39 PM »

So I'm looking at making a spintop/yoyo case and I was wondering if anyone on here had experience with both the star shaped cut outs like gReg's from yoyoguy and round cut outs. Does the star cut out make a difference in holding tops or yo's more securely?

topper777

Re: Making a spintop case
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 07:15:29 PM »

i made one out of a gun case. all you will need is some high density foam, which can be purchased at michaels craft store or any other craft store. you will also need a tomato paste can with the top cut off and sharpened with a knife sharpener. that way it is easier to make the circular cuts. draw circles in the rows you choose and be sure to put enough room between the holes. you can also dye the foam black if you choose by using rid. you can purchase rid at your local grocery store. i hope this helps. if you have any questions, pm me and i can answer any futher questions.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010, 07:19:21 PM »

I made my own foam insert for an old microphone case.  I used square like holes and they seem to work out fine.  I am interested in what others say about the star shaped holes.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

topper777

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2010, 09:44:24 PM »

i would have liked to have the star cut rather than the circle but couldnt sharpen a star cookie cutter.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2010, 10:47:05 PM »

I found a pistol case works well.  There are many shapes and sizes of soft side cases that you can use, just pick something you like.  You can make good round holes in foam with a hole saw (BUT RUN IT BACKWARDS).  The sauce can opened so that the edge is sharp works well and can even be bent to a shape to fit what you want.  Be creative and have fun.
Practice hard and play safe.

mtntop

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 02:01:49 PM »

The foam also cuts well with a hole saw just make sure to run the drill backwards it will give you a nice clean cut plus if you have a set it gives you more size options. I found some great foam at an upholstery shop a little pricey but very high quality
Spinning In Mind

Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010, 02:54:35 PM »

I think I have a good handle on how I'm going to make the case, I don't have hole saws but I was hoping to accomplish the same thing with a star cut out, but it would allow any yoyo or top in any hole. Does anyone have any experience with the 6 star cut out?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010, 07:22:36 PM »

You know, I just used scissors and started with small holes to see how the top fit.  Then, little by little, I enlarged the hole until my case could close.  Actually, my holes are still a little too small but I can force my case shut and nothing EVER rattles in it.  I made conical shaped holes.....except it was a four sided conical shaped hole, not rounded.  I don't know what what that name of that shape would be called.  I'm sure ta0 and JohnM know.  It was like four triangle shapes. 

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 12:25:33 AM »

I use a computer case, and for the foam, what I found was sponge, I cut some holes with tomato paste can
I post some pics here soon

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010, 01:33:00 AM »

Computer case

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 01:33:58 AM »

Inside

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 01:35:39 AM »

Tomato paste can works good, and some patience

topper777

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 11:52:20 AM »

the case looks great! im glad you were able to make one for yourself and not have to buy one. custom cases are better anyways!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 12:48:14 AM »

. . .  I made conical shaped holes.....except it was a four sided conical shaped hole, not rounded.  I don't know what what that name of that shape would be called.  I'm sure ta0 and JohnM know.  It was like four triangle shapes.
Truncated square pyramid  ???

Edit: Just by chance I starting reading yesterday "An Imaginary Tale: The Story of i", by Paul Nahim, and on the first chapter is the more technical name for it: 

Frustum (with a square base).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 03:26:34 PM by ta0 »

Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 02:53:56 PM »

A Tuncated square pyramid would not be very fun to cut out...