iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tutorials??  (Read 9681 times)

Free

• Gold Member
Tutorials??
« on: December 02, 2010, 06:13:38 PM »

Am I asking too many questions yet?
Is anyone working on detailed tutorials for beginning top spinning. I guess I've been spoiled over the years with tons of yoyo tuts. I just found a used copy of How to be a Player on Amazon, so that should be a good start. But with all the seemingly new interest in tops lately it would be cool to have a good youtube presence.

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Tutorials??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 06:26:34 PM »

How to be a Player vol.2 is a is a pretty good tutorial video.
Another video is Spinology from www.Spintastics.com
in the shop VHS is for .01 . Yes, That's right a penny. With a purchase of a top or a yo-yo that is... There's also a spin top video page at www.Spintastics.com . presentational spin top tricks...

RunBMC

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 06:55:43 PM »

Please, questions is exactly got me from noob to not. Please dont hesitate to ask questions!
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 11:14:33 PM »

Thanks to spintasics.com and ta0.com we have a lot of videos of a number of basic tricks.  No, we don't have as many as the yo-yo world but we sure have a lot more than just a few years ago.  Dale/Val Oliver have done a wonderful job at spintastics.com  Have you seen the top spinning videos they have on that site?  And Jorge has taken them a step further with his work at ta0.com in the trick section.  Have you googled anything for top spinning?  There are a number of things out there and you might find some new stuff we haven't seen yet. 
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 10:41:36 AM »

I agree Mike, Spintastics has been a great resource for me, I'm watching their videos a lot. I watched some of ta0's vids last night and with the writeup to go along with the vids it makes a lot more sense, but I'm not at the level of those videos yet. I've been googling and youtubing a lot to find videos and there are a number of videos but not tutorials. Like detailed instructions (like ta0, or Neff for his regen vids), slow motion, the kind of thing dense people like me look for. I can watch a video all day long and not understand what the persons doing.
A couple weeks ago Joe Purdy and Jon Gates took a few minutes to help me understand how to balance a top in my hand and throw and land a boomerang at the Denver yoyo club. With some detailed instructions mixed with seeing them do it and them telling me things to watch for that would be wrong I was consistently landing boomerangs that same day. (When my throws were good).
Maybe I'm wrong but I was just thinking that detailed tutorials for the basics could help a lot of people like me and maybe help to grow the spin top community.?
I know everyone here eventually learned the tricks and I'm sure with your help I will too.

Basics that I can't find good tutorials for:
-The throw; how to hold it, wind it, when to let it go, things to watch out for etc. (hughie made a vid that helped with some of this but didn't have some of the small details that really make a difference)
-Balancing it in your hand
-Sky rocket (it seems so simple but I lost track how many times I had to watch videos of people doing it before I figured it out...I know I'm slow)
-Wire walker (so far the best resource I found for this was one of the webisodes of String Burn live)
-Merry go Round/Crazy 8's (I can do these and land them sometimes but I don't know what I'm doing right or what I'm doing wrong to know what to correct)
-Trapeze
I think after you learn these, Ta0's videos and maybe others pick up the slack.

On a current personal note, I'm at the wire walker, merry go round, crazy 8's, trapeze phase in my learning to spin. I don't know what I do right or wrong, I practice them for hours but I have no idea if I'm practicing them right. I'm not even sure what questions to ask. So if anyone has some ideas that could help or knows of good resources for them please let me know.
You guys have been amazing in helping me learn! Thank you!

Free

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 11:26:24 AM »

I would love to do a full-on beginner's tutorial DVD...

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 12:03:52 PM »

Thanks for your post, freehinton.  I guess I never really thought about it all quite like that.

If Neff is interested in a beginners tutorial...........hmmm..........

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 12:06:02 PM »

By the way, it's pretty cool that you have Joe Purdy and Jon Gates in your club.  That's pretty big time hands on help!!!

Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 12:12:07 PM »

No kidding it's great! And Darren Kim is there too.

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 02:29:34 PM »

Here's this page for now. a few step by step tricks.
http://www.topspinning.com/tricks/index.html

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 05:33:02 AM »

So, at the Denver meetings are Joe, Jon and Darren often there?  When are the meetings?  How long are the meetings?  And while I am asking lots of questions I might as well ask where the meetings are!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 05:37:02 AM »

I was looking at Herman Lau's work on that link to the trick page at topspinning.com

I am wondering where that is?  I wonder if those people in the background ever realized how often they have been watched over the years?  I can see Steve Brown in several of them.  I even see another video camera person making a video of the guy making the video!  It doesn't seem like a very big room and it has chairs and tables all around the outsisde.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 11:52:45 AM »

Detailed tutorias are very hard to make. And it is neccesary use a good subtitles way to make it for everybody.

I did two videos with basic tutorials.

And I did another video with detailed explanations (in spanish, my mother lenguaje) about Snap start and is a 10 minutes video.

5 minutes with an expert as John Gates is better than ten hours of videos.

Now I think that only after some year of devoted topspinning working we are ready to do a correct starting tutorial

Top initial, winding, throwing, boomerang, balancing on hand and on string, basic techniques (mexican fall, finger placement, etc).  Give me time and I'll do it.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

Free

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 02:32:28 PM »

Thanks for posting those videos Pulp! I'll be looking for more, now I just have to learn Spanish  ;D

I would love to do a full-on beginner's tutorial DVD...
I'll be looking forward to anything you are able to make Neff. I'm glad you're interested!

So, at the Denver meetings are Joe, Jon and Darren often there?  When are the meetings?  How long are the meetings?  And while I am asking lots of questions I might as well ask where the meetings are!
Yes Jon, Joe, and Darren are there pretty much every week, I've gone off and on for 10 years (mostly off) for yoyo's.  Jennifer Kouri from the Duncan Crew comes too. Oh and Alan Gray was there helping me learn that day too (I hope they don't get mad at me for name dropping but I am very grateful that I have such great people to learn from) All the people at Denver YOYO Club are awesome! We meet every Sunday at 3pm at the Wizards Chest www.wizardschest.com
People usually stay till about 4:30 or so

« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 02:35:17 PM by Free »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2010, 09:00:35 PM »

The Denver club has paid big dividends.  Lots of good spinners have come out of that group.  You gotta hand it to Jon Gates and everyone else out there.

I'd love to stop out there for a visit someday.  Sadly, I am usually busy on Sundays.

mtntop

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2010, 07:51:43 PM »

Hey Mike if you're in Denver on any day of the week we WILL get a spin club together. We would love to spin with you in the mile high city!!
Spinning In Mind

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »

Watching "Spinology" tonight for the first time...
Haven't seen the spin top part yet, but so far, they've done a great job capturing Dale's awkward... charm.  :P

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 10:44:18 PM »

BOOMERANG!  ;D
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up