iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: visited the Hall of Fame  (Read 3458 times)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
visited the Hall of Fame
« on: November 21, 2010, 10:57:05 AM »

On Saturday, Tai-Min and I took a trip to Miamisburg to visit with Mike and have a tour of the Hall of Fame before Tai-Min moves to South Dakota to be with his wife.   

We started in the 1865 (?) built house with a nice greeting from Daisy the dog—she’s a real sweetie!  Then a mini European vacation with tops (some intentional some not) Mike gathered from places he has visited.  Mike let Tai-Min in on a few secrets of married life  ;) such as how to get more skill toys in the house by camouflaging them as decorations like ceramic lemons for juggling and peacock feathers for balancing.

Exiting the house through the back door, we entered the future site of TOP LAND. :) ;D  Mike has lots of fun ideas for this space which covers most of three sides of the house with a great deck perfect for spinners of all skill levels.  Crossing through TOP LAND we arrived at the featured attraction The Top Spinning Hall of Fame.  Mike has an amazing memory and told us lots of great stories and details about so many of the items on display and how they link to people in the top community.  We even held Mike's starter top—an all yellow (including the tip) Monarc with all its breaks glued.  Mike then showed us a few secret places for possible expansion of the Hall of Fame. :-X

We headed back out to TOP LAND with some oversized Chinese style tops.  We had some decent spinners and Tai-Min had a great target throw and Mike a nice boomerang, but we clearly need more practice before trying a long wire walker with these tops.  Tai-Min successfully tested for his 16 and 24 trick Spintastics patches, and I passed for my freestyle patch.  Mike then treated us to a demo of his skills with a monoblo—lots of fast action but rather easy to see because the size makes it very visible.

Thanks Mike for sharing your time with us and for all the work you've done on the Hall of Fame to preserve the history of this time in top spinning.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
Re: visited the Hall of Fame
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 03:39:25 PM »

great report

it's almost as if i was there !!
having met Mike in person when was in Europe, i feel all the more close to your visit at the hall of fame

i hope to come by one day
that would have to match chico's dates in oct ...
so i'll probably have to wait until retirement
 ( 67for a full pension, thanx our president)

and i strongly encourage the cincinatti guys to find a grant to come to paris and pretend to visit a physics lab
how about that fellas'  ??

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2010, 03:45:13 PM »

How exciting to have an international visitor to the Top Spinning Hall of Fame!

We had a great day with great weather and great conversation.  johnm is so nice to fix my "Brutus" top.  How great to have my Brutus in action the same day that Brutus Buckeye was on the field leading Ohio State to a close victory over Iowa.

You are very close on the year of my house, johnm.  It is from 1862.....just a year or two before I was born (as the kids at the church love to say).

Yes, working skill toys into decorations for the house is undoubtedly the way to go.  I see where Jorge has done the same thing at his house in San Antonio.  This might be a thread all to itself if anyone else has some more good ideas on how to do this!

I hope we don't build Topland up too much.  There won't be anything flashing or going whiz bang.  Actually, the space is what is so special.  What other wife and family would allow a whole backyard to be devoted to a hobby like that?  None of our activities will be anything fancy.  It will be the people spinning and inventing games that will make the area unique.  I would love to get some more top related signage for the fence, but I can't promise anything.

It was very impressive to see the progress of Tai-Min and johnm with their top spinning skills.  They look great.  John's one minute freestyle was loaded with way more tricks than was required.  Honestly, he could freestyle at worlds right now if he wanted!   

I hope we can continue to hear from Tai-Min.  He has the potential to touch many people with top spinning as he travels to South Dakota and Taiwan!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 08:45:11 PM »

I also saw that possible "secret" expansion area. The Hall of Fame has a great future . . .

So, I TM leaving soon?

TML

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 10:02:21 AM »

I had a wonderful time over Mike's for this visit. I really appreciate John's effort to ride me to Miamisburg given that he is not a big driver; I am also impressed with the top spinning hall of fame. I love all the stories Mike told us; I specially like the box wrapped by post stamps, it's better looking than it is on the picture!! I am glad that I have this chance to see the hall of fame before I leave Cincinnati this coming Saturday. :'(

I barely passed the tests for 16 and 24 patches, but I wouldn't be able to pass them without John's encourage and pushing. He is also kind enough to let me use his spintastics tops for the tests. I accidentally drop one of the two tops to Daisy's private party land. Sorry John, I hope you remember to wash it! :P

Mike, you're a wonderful person. I really enjoy seeing all the treasures in your house. Thank you for letting me use the top bath room. It makes people fell more comfortable with the company of tops when you do your party. If anyone is visiting hall of fame next time, I highly recommend he/she to try it!

Thank you again, Mike. I have a faith that You're dream "topland" will come true one day. I will keep this in my prayer.

TML

p.s. I hope I can find some top-mates in Sioux Falls, SD. It seems there might be a potential one!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 10:40:03 AM »

You are so nice TML.  Thanks for your message.  You are so kind to call me a wonderful person but what you left out is that I just sat and watched as you retrieved the top from Daisy the dog's private party land.

Thanks for your kind thoughts for Topland.  I need to talk to the name creator Mark Hayward to get some more creativity going on it.

Please keep in touch, TMI.  We are anxious to hear how you and your family are doing!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 10:39:31 PM »

Thank you for letting me use the top bath room. It makes people fell more comfortable with the company of tops when you do your party. If anyone is visiting hall of fame next time, I highly recommend he/she to try it!
For an extreme "private party" experience they should try the antique "seat" in the expansion area. I does have an interesting mechanical contraption (but I guess no plumbing . . .)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2022, 03:00:58 PM »

Ha!  It is hard to believe that the hall of fame is over a dozen years old.  I found this old thread and started reminiscing.  There are lots of good memories in there.  We may not have a giant crowd to our 2022 Miamisburg Top Fest but I am still using it as an excuse to update a number of things in the HOF.  One big change will be for my grandboys.  They are able to stop by on occasion since they are fairly close and they seem interested in the HOF so I am trying to have more finger spinner tops out and on a lower location so they can spin a bunch when they come to visit.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 05:15:03 PM »

I talked to Don Olney yesterday.  He enlightened me about the top lamp that used to be in his office and now is in the HOF.  He said it was made by Brad Countryman of Arcade, New York.  He did a lot of woodwork including merry go round horses.  He was also heavily involved with Hummingbird tops, of which I have a few.  Dan Volk of San Francisco also worked with Hummingbird.