iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I got an exciting package in the mail yesterday from Javier!!!  (Read 4239 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
I got an exciting package in the mail yesterday from Javier!!!
« on: October 26, 2010, 11:03:35 PM »

It appears that Larry D. and Javier have worked together to give a big boost to our Miamisburg Whirled Top festival.  Thanks so much, guys.  You are so terrific.

A box from Spain was delivered to the church late in the morning.  It was quite an exciting event......so exciting that the mailman even stayed around to see what was in the package!  Everyone was impressed with the shiny new trompos that will go to the winners of next year's top fest.  There are so many of them with such beautiful colors.  There are also some that are a solid silver and solid gold coating.  Something else that was included were a couple of videos from our good friend Gerardo Montero.  I cannot wait to see them and pass them on as other items for the winning top spinners.

I have been taking the box around and showing the contents to other top spinners and youth in the area.  It is causing quite a stir for next year's event!

Thanks again guys for your wonderful support and gifts!!!  I really appreciate it.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: I got an exciting package in the mail yesterday from Javier!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 11:43:17 PM »

If I understood correctly, Larry D. ordered Saturno Tops to be given at next year Miamisburg Whirled Festival of Tops.  When he found out the cause, Javier Caballero from Trompo Space added the silver and gold prize tops. Is that correct? I think we should all thank Larry for taking this initiative and his generous donation: you are tops!  And also thanks to Javier for sponsoring the event with those wonderful spintop prizes.

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 09:40:17 AM »

Mike it is my pleasure, you are very welcome.

ta0, yes, you are correct.  Not only did Javier read what I wrote, he felt what I wrote as well.

Instantly, and without hesitation or question, Javier Caballero of Trompos Space immediately got back to me with his generous offer of support. He told me of the Silver and Gold championship tops, but videos were a surprise even to me!  He is quite a man.  He extended his love and belief in this sport not only to the Festival but to all of us who live to spin.

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:27:09 AM »

Its great that the spinners now have a goal to work towards.  Look for a big surge in interest Mike.  Many thanks Larry, Javier and Gerardo.

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 02:08:41 PM »

So cool!  Right on Javier, Larry, and of course, MIKE!
Erratic Wobbler

topper777

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 03:12:44 PM »

i know this is off topic but do your contests ever come to california besides nats???

RunBMC

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 05:43:16 PM »

Topper-I don't think so, I think this specific contest is strictly in Miamisburg. And ya Mike, I didn't think I could make it to the next Miamisburg festive, but now I hear about the sponsors, I have to come!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 05:10:16 PM by RunBMC »
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 06:59:32 PM »

There are spin top contests in California, they are at some yo-yo contests.  When you see a contest announced on the web boards check to see if there will also be tops and diabolos.  If not ask if there is a chance that the contest will add tops.  With enough interest they might include a spin top event.  If they do not add tops go anyway and start throwing tops and some of the yo-yo players will start throwing with you.  Good chance to share and learn.
Practice hard and play safe.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 10:17:30 PM »

I just watched the DVD.  I enjoyed it.  Gerardo goes all the way from the most basic things (like how to take the string out and how to wind) to lots of intermediate tricks to some freestyle action.  It was all in Spanish (which I do not know) but I felt like I understood everything because there was so much action and so little dialogue.  In fact, there was no talking...........only a name for each activity or each trick.  Amazingly, I could pretty much follow everything!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 09:37:31 AM »

I can't believe how much excitement is generated from a box with Saturno tops.  Wherever I go I get people's attention and they want to touch them.  Maybe it is the bright colors, I don't know.  But it sure has changed my thinking about ways to promote our top contest.

I've been thinking about Gerardo.  Is there enough interest in top spinning for him to travel from place to place selling tops or giving top demonstrations?  Of course, I know about his work with cards and magic but can he live off tops and cards?   

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 04:45:47 PM »

Well, at least, to me, the best qualification for a basic top to learn to spin, and basic tricks, is the Saturno Space.
The plastic is the best I´ve known to make a basic top. The only thing I don´t like at all  is the shape, the form that it´s got on the crown. That double ..escalón.....don´t help to the perfect balance and good spin.
Anyway, is a vaery good top to begin.